Effects Pedals
bballkid2076
Dec 13 2007, 07:54 PM
GMC:er
It seems here that the general consensus is to buy multiple pedals rather than a multi effects pedal. Can anyone suggest how to spend $400 on pedals. I play all types of music except heavy metal

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 13 2007, 08:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (bballkid2076 @ Dec 13 2007, 07:54 PM) *
It seems here that the general consensus is to buy multiple pedals rather than a multi effects pedal. Can anyone suggest how to spend $400 on pedals. I play all types of music except heavy metal

The sorts I find most useful are
Equalizer 7 band
Delay
Overdrive
Wah
Distortion

You could think twice about the distortion whether you need it if you get a rough enough Overdrive.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Dec 13 2007, 08:35 PM
MicKm just about said the same thing i think.I dont know though if by you saying you dont play heavymetal if that means you dont really even play rock or use distortion.Alot depends on what type of amp your using aswell.If it has built in distortion or other effects along with its EQ .Getting a Equilizer pedal can really improve the sound your looking for but if you have a good 3 band EQ on a quality amp you could get by without one.

I think a good Chorus and Delay pedal should be at the top of the list.If your not into metal i take it you like to play clean alot and man these 2 effects really fatten up your sound.For the best quality and sound i would go with Boss or Digitech.Boss is the most pricey, like the delay is around $150 USD and chorus about $80 new while digitech still have a great quality and are more in the $50 to $100 USD range.These maker's built there pedals like tanks so buying one used and saving yourself the extra cash is what i do.There's cheaper alternatives like danelectro,behringer ect ,but i do feel you get what you pay for and if your playing loud or gigging you will tell a big difference.

Other pedal's you may be into would be a wah wah and also a very cool pedal called a loop station.A loop station basically let's you make riff's and record them and layer guitar parts to jam over.There are a guitarist best friend and you can get one from $100 used to $200 from Boss.If your looking for a simple basic wah the Crybaby gcb-095 can do the trick for under $60 and even as low as $25 used smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 13 2007, 09:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I suggest you buy Boss pedals and a wah...Wah should be your first priority because its very useful effect..Dunlop Crybaby classic or 535q would be ideal..Than you should look for a overdrive or distortion pedal (DS-1 for example, boss)..Overdrive would work great , and distortion only if you don't have a good distortion on your amp...Next effect should be chorus or delay..Both are very useful..And thats basically it.Buy a wah and go to the store and look and try boss pedals and definitely you won't make a mistake, and also their prices are not high (ds-1 is $39.00!!)...After that you can look at some octaver, flanger and other exotic pedal effects...

To sum it up : Wah - dunlop crybaby 535q , overdrive boss SD-1 , boss ds-1 , chorus CE-5 , delay boss DD-6 or DD-3 ...

Loopstation is a great pedal for jamming home also..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 13 2007, 09:46 PM
Instructor
Can you tell us more about your existing equippment so we can help you even better? ALso tell us what music are you into right now, and what type of pickups you have, what amp, does the drive channel is any good on it etc? Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bballkid2076
Dec 13 2007, 10:14 PM
Currently i just have the ibanez starter kit (which i have outgrown alot but thats for another day). I'm currently into blues rock (clapton.hendrix), classic rock (eagles, led zepplin) but i'm also into rhcp, steve vai, gnr so my style of play varies alot

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 13 2007, 10:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
And what amp do you have ?? This question is very crucial..Because if you have a good drive channel (distortion) on your amp you don't need the distortion pedal...But I strongly suggest you to go out and FIRST buy a wah wah pedal...Because it will give you a lot of versatility in your playing and you get to practice using it also.. (and its very needed for bands you listed)...So go out and try a wah and with the rest of money buy boss pedal board and chorus and delay pedals for start..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
bballkid2076
Dec 13 2007, 11:53 PM
I have the starter ibanez amp... meaning that the distortion is just mediocre. I have decdied that i think i should start out with the dunlop 535q crybaby wah. After that however i am undecided. i fear that if i buy too cheap of pedals then i will want something of a higher quality in a few years. Does anyone have any specific ways in how they think i should spend this money? also thanks Bogdan and Milenkovic Ivan for your advice so far

I have the starter ibanez amp... meaning that the distortion is just mediocre. I have decdied that i think i should start out with the dunlop 535q crybaby wah. After that however i am undecided. i fear that if i buy too cheap of pedals then i will want something of a higher quality in a few years. Does anyone have any specific ways in how they think i should spend this money? also thanks Bogdan and Milenkovic Ivan for your advice so far

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 14 2007, 12:08 AM
Instructor
Youre my kind of man man smile.gif I too play similar music, and played it when i was starting.

Bogdan is right, get a WAhwah pedal and a good drive pedal for starters. wah wah is great and you can cover hendrix and rhcp with it. ALso you will need some extra ditortion pedal. I dont recommend the DS1 if you have a solid state amp, or even hybrid amp because it can sound pretty harsh on those. FOr a full warm tone, try the Boss SD1. I have it, and i made a review of it here. If you want a bigger drive tone, try maybe some butique pedals. I have a 535q wah, and I definately recommend this one. Good luck.

For rhcp you will be needing a chorus pedal, so decide either that or a delay. Delay is very important since it adds to the fullness of the sound. I advice you consider that too. Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Dec 14 2007, 12:08 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:08 AM