2 Pages V   1 2 >  
In Need Of Some Whammage!
Owen
Oct 27 2007, 05:34 AM
GMC:er
Ok, so I feel I need a new guitar relatively soon - my telecaster (with humbuckers) has served me relatively well so far during my electric guitar period and its relatively good for what I do at the moment - hard rock & metal but I feel like any modification that its not the best it could be and I'm looking for something in the £300-£500 price range, now this has become increasingly difficult for me because whilst you can get some really good guitars in the US for between $600 and $1000 the currency conversion rate is not the same as the cost of the guitar once its shipped over here and an extortionate amount of tax is added, so I'm looking for guitars that meet the following - good for metal, versatile, has a floyd rose or a whammy bar that will stay in tune and at the same time are interesting to admire (not a major selling point for me but I'd prefer something thats unusual).

I am not bothered at all about brand or model - Epiphone, Bc Rich, ESP, PRS, Fender etc etc - I dont reckon I'll be able to get any Gibsons for this amount of money, as long as I can get it in the UK between the price range I am suggesting this would be cool, I am also preferably looking for something with decent pickups - EMG's or Duncan's would be nice, and of course a solid body made of good wood.

Cheers in advance for your recommendations guys!

cool.gif

Edit: Woop 600th post! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Owen: Oct 27 2007, 05:35 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 27 2007, 07:01 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I' d suggest looking at some of the more European brands Owen. If you look at Vintage, Hofner, Eggle and others there are some really good guitars - and you won't end up paying a premium for importation and the like.

To some extent it's the same with amps - brands like Orange and Engl are good value in Europe particularly compared with similar non-European ones where you get hit with import, currency exchange and so on.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 07:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 27 2007, 08:01 AM) *
I' d suggest looking at some of the more European brands Owen. If you look at Vintage, Hofner, Eggle and others there are some really good guitars - and you won't end up paying a premium for importation and the like.

To some extent it's the same with amps - brands like Orange and Engl are good value in Europe particularly compared with similar non-European ones where you get hit with import, currency exchange and so on.

Cheers,
Tony

Eggle...Tony,is that Patric Eggle or?
Thought it's Eagle btw... huh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 27 2007, 09:05 AM
Yes - correct Muris it's for Patrick Eggle.

Think it's Eggle though you're right dictionary spelling would be eagle. Not sure btw whether the guitars are now Eggle or Patrick Eggle (or Eagle...)

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
1mpr1m1s
Oct 27 2007, 09:32 AM
Ibanez RG370

--------------------
My Gear

Guitars: Ibanez Prestige RGR1570 , Epiphone 1966 G-400
Amplifiers: Spider III 75W

Pedals: RP250

Wish list : Better pedal set up. & ESP EC1000

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 27 2007, 07:53 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 27 2007, 07:01 AM) *

Cheers,
Tony

It seems like a good idea tony but I've just looked some of these brands up and where I could buy them etc etc

Hofners electric guitar range consists of only 3 guitars - on their website at least, I cant find Vintage guitar's website at all under all the genuinely 'vintage guitar' websites selling old and exclusive guitars and whilst I can find Eggle guitars they are all kicking around £1000 which is far too expensive for me.

Are there any other brands I should know about?

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 27 2007, 08:01 PM
So you can't get like Ibanez or Jackson or anything such as that in the UK without paying a huge tax on it?

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 27 2007, 10:05 AM) *
Yes - correct Muris it's for Patrick Eggle.

Think it's Eggle though you're right dictionary spelling would be eagle. Not sure btw whether the guitars are now Eggle or Patrick Eggle (or Eagle...)

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks Tony smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 27 2007, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Oct 27 2007, 08:01 PM) *
So you can't get like Ibanez or Jackson or anything such as that in the UK without paying a huge tax on it?

Say your ibanez guitar is $600 in the US, the currency conversion rate between the UK and the US is 2 dollars for every pound, so you'd figure the ibanez guitar would cost £300 in the UK, wrong, after all the import etc etc you end up paying around £500 which is around $400 more, just because you live in the UK, this applies to other countries too - Australia for example, the only place in the world it would seem were it is possible to get guitars for a reasonable price is the US. mellow.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 27 2007, 08:29 PM
Instructor
Have you thought about Ebay or som?
I know this is not the best way when it's about instrument but just an idea.
There are many discounts there from real music shops,not only private auctions,
Check it out,who knows. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 28 2007, 06:15 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Oct 27 2007, 02:17 PM) *
Say your ibanez guitar is $600 in the US, the currency conversion rate between the UK and the US is 2 dollars for every pound, so you'd figure the ibanez guitar would cost £300 in the UK, wrong, after all the import etc etc you end up paying around £500 which is around $400 more, just because you live in the UK, this applies to other countries too - Australia for example, the only place in the world it would seem were it is possible to get guitars for a reasonable price is the US. mellow.gif

ohmy.gif that sucks pretty bad...

well not for me tongue.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 28 2007, 06:32 AM
Checked out a few guitars in the local shop today, maybe I'm getting picky but I feel rather unsatisfied.

Tried a few 'Cort' guitars, they feel Ok in general, got a lot of good features for a low price but they also felt very low quality guitars to me, very flashy, but quite poor in feeling, hated the fretboards.

Fiddled about with an Ibanez Iceman, good guitar, neck felt good, but I was a bit wary at the buzz that was emminating off it from the neck.
I also tested out a white version of the Joe Satriani signature from Ibanez, this felt the best to me, lovely to hold, good neck, but the whammy bar felt really stiff and despite its redeeming qualities I felt it wasnt the best I could get for the price I'm looking at.

Also had a shot with some Epiphone Les Pauls - these felt really nice to me, good feel on the neck and no buzz but what puts me off is the normality of them, they just feel so dull and I dont feel they give me anything that I've not got already.

Hmm, maybe its just the 'new' feel of guitars In shops I dont like, I'm used to something thoroughly broken in.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 28 2007, 06:37 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Oct 28 2007, 12:32 AM) *
Checked out a few guitars in the local shop today, maybe I'm getting picky but I feel rather unsatisfied.

Tried a few 'Cort' guitars, they feel Ok in general, got a lot of good features for a low price but they also felt very low quality guitars to me, very flashy, but quite poor in feeling, hated the fretboards.

Fiddled about with an Ibanez Iceman, good guitar, neck felt good, but I was a bit wary at the buzz that was emminating off it from the neck.
I also tested out a white version of the Joe Satriani signature from Ibanez, this felt the best to me, lovely to hold, good neck, but the whammy bar felt really stiff and despite its redeeming qualities I felt it wasnt the best I could get for the price I'm looking at.

Also had a shot with some Epiphone Les Pauls - these felt really nice to me, good feel on the neck and no buzz but what puts me off is the normality of them, they just feel so dull and I dont feel they give me anything that I've not got already.

Hmm, maybe its just the 'new' feel of guitars In shops I dont like, I'm used to something thoroughly broken in.

Here's the guitar that I just bought. Maybe you could find it in one of the shops over there for a reasonable price? Extremely smooth neck. Whammy is incredibly light and easy to manuver.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=514210

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Oct 28 2007, 06:37 AM

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 28 2007, 07:37 AM
Sorry Owen hadn't realised the price on the Eggles (thought they were a lot less). Web site for Vintage is:

www.jhs.co.uk.

Hofner have definitely (definately, danfintitely, derfinaterly, deffo) got more then 3 guitars in their catalogue btw.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Oct 28 2007, 08:03 AM
hey,
have some family or friends in the us buy it and ship it to you, it might work.

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 28 2007, 08:29 AM
Learning Roadie
Owen. Buy a used Parker off ebay or something. I promise you won't regret it if you do smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Spiderusalem
Oct 28 2007, 09:10 AM
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 28 2007, 05:10 PM
Lets go fishing!
Owen, I own a Cort X-6 and i absolutley love it. I feel it is extremely good value for money, I think its basically an Ibanez RG something or other as I know Cort make the lower end Ibanez models in there factorys.

I have it in black with a real Floyd Rose (silver) and its shred-tastic ! smile.gif

http://www.lookguitar.com/lookguitar/uploa...29173525954.jpg

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Oct 28 2007, 05:13 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 28 2007, 07:33 PM
Tony;

http://www.hofner.com/gab/en/phpshop/43/pa.../category_id,9/

There does appear to be only 3 electric solidbody guitars in their current catalogue, or were you suggesting an older model?

I like the look of some of the vintage guitars, they look good for the price, especially the rock series -

Love that!

Ibanezkiller - not possible, I have no relatives there and even if they did send one over Import Tax etc would still have to be paid unless it was a 'gift'.

JVM - I'm looking - most are over the 1k mark from what I can see, I'll keep an eye out though!

Spider - Too Expensive.

Matt, they had some in the shop yesterday, I was going to try them but I decided not to bother because they are lower models than the EVL series - the ones with the lower end EMG's in them, my mate bought a Cort from the same shop a while back and it feels very good to play, perhaps they just need to be set up better, I was a bit put off by the fact that they looked like they had a very poor setup pickup wise - what do the bluebuckers sound like?

This post has been edited by Owen: Oct 28 2007, 07:35 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Oct 29 2007, 12:13 AM
Lets go fishing!
Well if you can stretch to a higher range guitar that is great !! Its just i definatly think they are good value for money. I bought mine used but in new condition, and it had already been setup professionally, and i think it has aftermarket pickups in it also !! Its a very slick guitar, i used it more than my LesPaul currently.

Hope you find the right guitar for you!! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:12 AM