Bass 3 Finger Technique
TesttubeMammoth
Apr 28 2012, 01:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Guys,

So I am trying to practice this right hand bass technique where you play using three fingers. The idea is to lead with the ring finger, then middle then index. Then repeat. I guess it helps you with finger independence and playing with three fingers could be much faster than playing with two.

I based the left hand on the economy picking mechanics lesson and made a simple backing - might as well work on modes at the same time. I haven't gotten the hang of recording my bass yet so apologies for the clipping.

This is groups of three, the easier one to practice because you always lead with the same finger. Fours and fives etc are initially more tricky because leading with different fingers can feel weird.

I was going to post this in the rec but I can't work out how so here it is :

Attached is the backing (6/8 150bpm) if anyone's interested, I know us bass players are few and far between smile.gif

Frankie.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  threenpsbass.mp3 ( 631.84K ) Number of downloads: 288

--------------------
be excellent to each other
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 28 2012, 02:17 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great to see some bass playing! smile.gif

Very good work on the exercise with 3 fingers. Playing with 3 fingers can be versatile and ultimately lead to some really impressive speed. 2 finger technique utilizing alternate fingerpicking can also enable you to play fast. With this exercise I would suggest focusing on equal attack from each finger. Every note should feel and sound dynamically equal (even though index and middle finger are stronger then ring figer by default). When it comes to other then playing 3 notes per string shapes, I would suggest utilizing fingerpicking alternating patterns which never use the same finger two times in a raw for ultimate smoothness when playing.

Thanks a lot for backing! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:05 AM