2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Recommendations For An Amp, Amp/Head hunt
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 1 2009, 11:10 PM
Instructor
hey guys, wanted to hear some experiences and opinions about guitar amps and heads. I sold my TSL601 in search of something more cleaner and better. I was eyeballing ENGL Screamer Combo 50 in the store for quite some time, and now it's time to get it. I've tried it but it sounds cold. It's awesome I like the sound, clean is solid, overdrive is great too, reverb is great as well, but it's a bit cold to me.

I must get something from the store, ordering online is not an option here. What are your opinions with ENLG amps, combos, heads anything? What worked well for you. I would get a head probably, it's not here now, but the store can possibly order it. This would mean I cannot test it properly anywhere, so it's kinda risky. What do you guys think of ENLG tone?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 1 2009, 11:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
I didn't try the Engl's but I owned Mesa Boogies, Vox amps, Peaveys and a lot of others but I'm always been returning to Fender and Marshalls for some reason....

//Staffay

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 2 2009, 12:10 AM) *
hey guys, wanted to hear some experiences and opinions about guitar amps and heads. I sold my TSL601 in search of something more cleaner and better. I was eyeballing ENGL Screamer Combo 50 in the store for quite some time, and now it's time to get it. I've tried it but it sounds cold. It's awesome I like the sound, clean is solid, overdrive is great too, reverb is great as well, but it's a bit cold to me.

I must get something from the store, ordering online is not an option here. What are your opinions with ENLG amps, combos, heads anything? What worked well for you. I would get a head probably, it's not here now, but the store can possibly order it. This would mean I cannot test it properly anywhere, so it's kinda risky. What do you guys think of ENLG tone?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 1 2009, 11:25 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
If you can, try out a Framus or a Bogner amp!
They're amazing, at least the Framus Ruby Riot and the Bogner Duende smile.gif

Very nice cleans and overdrive/Distortion smile.gif

I just posted a metal clip with the Bogner Duende, LINK!

I can make some clean and overdrive demos as well if you want smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 1 2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot guys!

Paal the only things I have available here right now are 3 amps that I would take into consideration and one of them is a desperate choice cause there are no other ones available:

ENLG Screamer 50 combo

Fender Deluxe Wine Red

Marshall DSL60 head

This are the only things I would take into consideration, and I don't really lead towards DSL cause I've used TSL and it will be very similar. I would consider Vintage Modern 50W head or vintage Marshall it if is any good but this no.

So any opinions on ENGLs, comparisons to other amps, honest impressions.. etc..

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 1 2009, 11:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 1 2009, 11:41 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
An Engl that doesn't cost a fortune and isn't a metal monster though you can dial in anything from clean to brootalz is the Blackmore signature. So the day I'm jumping onto the Engl train it's going to be one of those.

For a blues and rockman who doesn't need the most brutal tones, Blackstar Artisan 30W. The guys at "my" musicstore swear by this brand and I trust them. There's also a new from Blackstar called "Series one", supposed to seriously kick some Marshall groin.
My guess is an Artisan or Series one would be a life companion. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 1 2009, 11:47 PM
Instructor
Hmm, Blackmoore head is very interesting, I don't think they have it in the store here tho sad.gif They do have it on the site, it's around 1150e which is pricey for that head, but I will see how it is. Thanks a lot Micke

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 2 2009, 12:07 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I think I saw few Bogner amps in stores here, it could be nice to try them out! I also remembered that Lyra Style shop offers "special orders" at fair price. I asked them for a bass cabinet. They order them from Hungary so they arrive fast.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 2 2009, 12:09 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 2 2009, 12:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
Just a question: Why isn't online ordering an option? Muris bought his Engl in Germany and the store delivered to Bosnia so I think they will also ship to Serbia!

I could not stand the position you are in right now; looking for an amp but there are only three to choose but none of them is 100% right for you but you HAVE to settle for one because nothing else is available...

There are tons of amps for you're style like the Marshall vintage modern or the JVM series, the bogner alchemist series, the new Blackstar series one amps, the classic Fender tube amps, Hughes & Kettner amps or Orange Amps - the list is endless!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 2 2009, 12:35 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Ah and yes maybe Hughes & Kettner are worth trying...They have a pretty nice stock of them, and I saw them in different stores too smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 2 2009, 12:47 AM
Instructor
Ordering is not an option simply because I have to try the amp myself. I suppose I will scan the store and ads for a while...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 2 2009, 12:50 AM
GMC:er
I couldn't possibly recommend anything, but what bugs you about the amp you had?

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 2 2009, 01:02 AM
Instructor
I sold the Marshall for several reasons, one having parallel FX loop that was a bit quiet, it was poorly designed in general I didn't like it. The sound was good on the crunch channel and even clean was very good, but now I'm in search for something different. Maybe even completely different.. Not sure what tho.. not too many options...

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 2 2009, 01:10 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
In that case I'd go for the Engl or the Marshall Vinatge Modern smile.gif
Both are great amps but very different.

If you think the Engl sounds cold, you can always buy a good boost pedal (one that colors the sound),
like the BB Preamp. That would warm things up and smooth things out smile.gif

The Marshall Vintage Modern is a very warm and perfect amp for cleans and overdrive,
but you'll need a pedal for heavier stuff and/or solos smile.gif

I've owned both Engl and Vintage Modern, great amps smile.gif

Edit:
Hughes and Kettner also have some great amps!
Worth checking out as Bogdan said smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 2 2009, 01:18 AM
Instructor
Thanks Paal, good to hear that. VM and ENGL Screamer that I've tried are completely different amps, and I do like them both. The problem is, there is no VM heads or combos here atm, and the only ENGL amps I can find are two combos, Raider 100 and Screamer 50. I've found Screamer 50 a nice little combo, but.. not good enough really. I'll check H&K and compare it to that on Monday wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 2 2009, 01:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 2 2009, 01:08 AM) *
Just a question: Why isn't online ordering an option? Muris bought his Engl in Germany and the store delivered to Bosnia so I think they will also ship to Serbia!

Not exactly, my friend bought it for me in Germany
and he brought it here. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 2 2009, 08:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Ivan!

Funny you should mention Engl coz I came across this demo on a forum and i was shocked at how good the clean sounds on here, check it out................

Also on the Fender deluxe I think these are very underrated amps, so much that I made an enquiry to a shop to possibly get one next week, although I have opted for the blues reissue which has a bit more of a vintage voicing and vibe, the drive is nothing special but the clean channel is the best Ive ever heard with a strat, I think with a nice BB preamp this would be the ultimate blues/funk machine (Not metal though!).

This isnt a bad demo of the one I want:

I know what you mean about marshall atm, they dont seem to have any direction and are just relying on their huge artist list to sell amps, I mean the "The Zakk Wylde MG10" who wants that piece of junk? The Marshall Haze endorsed by Doug Aldrich, yeah right! I think blackstar have seriously scared them by making the amps that Marshall should have made all along, its a pity you cant try an Artisan 100 head, they are real high spec hand wired jobs and have all the old plexi refinements with modern appointments.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 2 2009, 12:08 PM
Instructor
Speaking of Engl, I really love my Souvereign 2x12,
people have different opinions about Engl's clean (and OD as well)
while everyone pretty much appreciates its gain, high gain.
But to be fully honest, I enjoy clean and OD on my Engl
far more than high gain stuff. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Janos Kallai
Aug 2 2009, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Ivan,

I use an Engl Richie Blackmore head and an Engl cab.
I used to have Marshall amps, and I played with different amps, with a lot of effect pedals on gigs, but since I bought this one, I don’t need anything else just a cable.

I think the Marshall sound is really great of course. Tom Morello, or Zakk Wylde they have amazing sounds and I like these very much.

I think it is so hard to talk about the feeling what We feel exactly when we play with a great amp. And I think it’s so subjective, cause every guitarist have a diffrent opinion about the „perfect sound”

So I think If You have no opportunity testing the amps that You would like to buy, check the list of the endosers on the site of the company (www.engl-amps.com). If You find a guitarist who's close style You like, listen to his albums, or much better, if You have opportunity to see his live gig.
It can helps You I hope, becouse I did it, and it worked well for me.

This post has been edited by Janos Kallai: Aug 2 2009, 01:24 PM

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 8 2009, 12:49 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot for these advices my friends, I will continue searching. I've tried couple of more heads from Marshall few days ago, and they are all pretty bad sounding for me. JVM 100W, DSL50 were not that good, JVM had too grainy gain, DSL had thin cleans... The only thing that I liked is JMP MKII 100W head, but that is a monster and I will need something more like a 50W tops.
Janos thanks a lot for info on that Blackmoore head! smile.gif I will try to hear more about the Blackmoore head since I see it is made to sound simple and raw like vintage Marshalls used to have. Can you tell me how does it handle clean sounds?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mitch Roberts
Aug 13 2009, 07:18 AM
GMC:er
As far as a clean amp goes, you might want to check out the tone king imperial, one of the best cleans i've ever heard. Also i've been a big fan of the AC30 cleans lately, I have a friend that runs a ac30 with a boss me-5 that has one of the best clean tones ive ever heard.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!
[post=0]My Facebook, feel free to add me[/post]
[post=0]My Youtube page, check it out![/post]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:07 AM