2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Strat Or Tele, New Guitar but which should I buy?
Boson
Aug 12 2009, 10:39 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I want to add a half decent single coil p/u guitar to my collection!

I know there are many out there but am attracted to the tradition and sound of fenders. I have always admired the strat but have recently been drawn towards the tele.

I have my Ibanez and Epi LP with humbuckers so really need something with a cleaner more twany sound.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 12 2009, 10:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
Depends on what you want, really =)
Stratocasters are often used in rock, while Telecasters seem to be mainly used in counry, while both has been used for blues..

Personally I'd go for a Stratocaster.. But I don't like the look of the Telecaster, so follow your own taste instead of mine tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 12 2009, 10:57 AM
GMC:er
+1 that totally dislikes the look of Telecasters. tongue.gif

Well, I would go stratocaster for sure. It can be rock and it can also do the country work of a tele. The sweetest sounds of a stratocaster are middle+neck (the one you can hear in Sultans of swing) and middle+bridge.
So the extra pickup makes all the difference in the world!!!

But again, follow your own taste. Since the telecaster still sells, it probably has something which is better than the strat. I never tried a tele, cause I dislike the look, so I can't tell. So, maybe you test both?

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 12 2009, 10:58 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 12 2009, 11:02 AM
Instructor
I like both guitars. Strat is more versatile guitar. More pickups, tremolo bar, more options. If you want to shred tele is not really used in that style but of course there are some guys that use it for that. Whatever you chose go for American one.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jesse
Aug 12 2009, 11:08 AM
biggrin.gif GET TEXAS SPECIAL PICKUPS!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 12 2009, 01:43 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hi Boson!

I suggest you take a trip to some local shop which has lots of strats & teles and play many of them. Don't just play one tele and one strat, play many and from different price ranges.

I like both guitars, but I prefer strats. They are so comfortable & easy to play with.

But no one but you can know what feels better in your hands!

Edit: I suggest you take a trip to "Pronorte" shop in Gijón. They have loads of strats & teles!

This post has been edited by Fran: Aug 12 2009, 01:44 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 12 2009, 02:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 12 2009, 10:48 AM) *
Stratocasters are often used in rock, while Telecasters seem to be mainly used in counry, while both has been used for blues..

Personally I'd go for a Stratocaster.. But I don't like the look of the Telecaster, so follow your own taste instead of mine tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gus @ Aug 12 2009, 10:57 AM) *
+1 that totally dislikes the look of Telecasters. tongue.gif

Well, I would go stratocaster for sure. It can be rock and it can also do the country work of a tele. The sweetest sounds of a stratocaster are middle+neck (the one you can hear in Sultans of swing) and middle+bridge.
So the extra pickup makes all the difference in the world!!!

But again, follow your own taste. Since the telecaster still sells, it probably has something which is better than the strat. I never tried a tele, cause I dislike the look, so I can't tell. So, maybe you test both?

Heathans and phillistines!! Teles are awesome, bow down and let the memory of Leo be merciful on your tainted souls!!!

Seriosly though mate, teles are brilliant but can be quite an acquired taste, personally i think the bridge pickup on teles is one of the best around for almost any style including rock. however the strat is far more versatile and definitley easier to play. Give them both a try, i guarantee you wont be disappointed. I couldnt decide, i had to have both laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 12 2009, 02:20 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (sted @ Aug 12 2009, 02:12 PM) *
Heathans and phillistines!! Teles are awesome, bow down and let the memory of Leo be merciful on your tainted souls!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Tele`s arnt really my taste either, a friend of mine has been looking at them and I`ve been begging him not too laugh.gif

but you cant beat trying these things out for yourself, as suggested above, go to a store and try them out, see which one suits you the best, the Strat (again as mentioned) is more versatile but it really depends on what your looking to get out of your next purchase, an "all rounder" etc

Good luck with your choice and remember, pictures are a must! smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 12 2009, 02:27 PM
I can't remember the model name but there is a Tele with a Strat Pickup arrangement. I do remember that it had a Texas Special in the mid position!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2009, 11:00 PM
Instructor
As some suggested, try them out, see how they fit your style and your sound preference. Try as much as you can before getting any of them. You are the one who has to decide in the end.

I would be tempted to get a Tele, it is more straightforward guitar, and sounds really cool, but you have to buy a great great Tele to really get a good Tele sound. These new Tele guitars are too thin. same goes for Strat, although Strats are darker sounding guitars by default. This doesn't mean you will like it.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 12 2009, 11:02 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 13 2009, 12:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
Strat.

Every Guitar player needs a Fender Strat in their playing carreer!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 13 2009, 02:01 AM
Both guitars are amazing instruments, definity two of the best guitars ever. For me it would be very hard to choose, but I think if I had the money for a Strat or Tele right now, I'd go for the Strat. The deciding factor is the tremolo (what I like to have on a guitar) and the 3 pickups (more tonal versatility).

On the other hand, I play a Squier Affinity Tele for more than a year now, and sometimes I find myself picking it up more than my JEM7V, because it just works so nicely for me. So it's really up to you wink.gif

This post has been edited by axes: Aug 13 2009, 02:01 AM

+Quote Post
Mitch Roberts
Aug 13 2009, 07:11 AM
It's a pretty common misconception that the Tele is a such a one trick pony. I have an american standard, it can pull off rock, country (of course), i can even coax some great fusion tones out of it with the neck pickup

--------------------
Check out my lessons!
[post=0]My Facebook, feel free to add me[/post]
[post=0]My Youtube page, check it out![/post]

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 13 2009, 08:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mitch Roberts @ Aug 13 2009, 07:11 AM) *
It's a pretty common misconception that the Tele is a such a one trick pony. I have an american standard, it can pull off rock, country (of course), i can even coax some great fusion tones out of it with the neck pickup

Entirely 100% agree! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Boson
Aug 15 2009, 09:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for all the replies guys. smile.gif

I can understand the views about how teles look, and I have always been more drawn to the strat. However I am finding that as I listen to music and watch bands that the tele is very common and I really want to get that twangy sound.

I guess I will follow Frans advice and get myself down to Gijon and try them. Will let you know how it goes. I have to get this right! unsure.gif

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Frederik
Aug 15 2009, 09:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 12 2009, 11:48 AM) *

I was at a local blues jam the other day, and they all played telecasters biggrin.gif and it sounded the best i've ver heard
i recently went to get a new guitar, and the strats i played sounded surprisingly thin, so i ended up with a les paul tongue.gif (though i were a strat-guy, so i was shocked blink.gif )

-Frederik

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 15 2009, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (Mitch Roberts @ Aug 13 2009, 01:11 AM) *

I have one of each.

Here are both in action, the American Blonde has a strat, the English guitarist a Tele.

If you are British you might be familiar with the drummer, Woody. He was in a band named "Madness" before this, and returned to them later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlOGkTd5ji8

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 15 2009, 10:29 PM
Lets go fishing!
When I have enough money id also like to add a "clean" guitar to my collection. Im learning towards the Telecaster, sure it looks pretty ugly but I LOVE its sound!!

So bright and twangy, it sounds so country (which I love) and some of my favorite U2 songs use it - plus is not as commonly used as the trusty strat (which is also excellent ) smile.gif

Yep, I could see myself up on stage wearing a cowboy hat doing some chicken pickin, yes sir.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 15 2009, 10:54 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think it's an easy desicion because as I see it, a Tele has a sound that really sticks out, and anyone who buys one I think already know that's their sound.

Do you know you want a Tele? wink.gif

On a gig where we played sets 2 and 4 while the other band playes sets 1 and 3 .- and ended with a jam btw. A guy in the other band played a Tele. I can see it has it's charm but it didn't at all feel right to play on with the maple. Maybe I'd want one myself, but with a rosewood fingerboard.

I seem to be the only one who think a Tele look teriffic! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 15 2009, 11:27 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Tele's are a lot more versatile than some give them credit for. If you want an idea of how good they are check out people like Jerry Donahue (UK Folk and country), Danny Gatton (Country), Ted Greene (Hazz), Mike Stern (Jazz/Fusion), Pete Townsend (Who), Francis Rossi (Quo) and Chrissie Hynde (Pretenders).

Personal choice for me having played quite a few teles and strats would be a tele. But as Fran says check them out as it is subjective.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:19 AM