Rare Pedals?
Cory Martin
Aug 14 2009, 08:55 AM
GMC:er
When My uncle passed, around 6 months ago he left me all his guitar stuff. I really didn't dig into the stuff too much, or do much research on the things he left me. But today I was Looking up the pedals he left me on Ebay. And turns out I got 2 or 3 good catches! The First is a Boss DM-2, made in October 1981, a Boss VB-2 made in September of 1981, and a PH-2 made in September of 1985. Plus there's some others. It seems that the Delay and Vibrato are big money? Does anyone have any info on them? I've done some research and found a serial number decoder to find those dates. Can anyone confirm that they're the same as the big money ones I'm seeing on ebay?

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/mypedals.jpg/
http://img43.imageshack.us/i/bosso.jpg/

Thanks for any help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
myspace.com/corymartin67
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 14 2009, 10:59 AM
Instructor
Here's some info on the delay, I got it from an article on this delay on the web. It seems that 3005 versions is the one that is worth quite a lot today:

There are at least 3 different versions of the DM-2. The first version was using the MN3005 BBD. This was soon changed to the low current version of the same circuit called MN3205. It is worth noting that the MN3005 has a SN ratio of 75 dB while the MN3205 is a little more noisy with its 67dB. The MN3205 only produces 0.8% distortion compared to 1% for the MN3005.

The DM-2 can be approximately dated by reading the number on the compander IC NE570N. It should have a 4 digit number giving you the year and month of production in the form YYMM. Note that this is the production date of the integrated chip and not of the pedal but it's unlikely that the chips were stored for very long before used.

DM-2
Marking of PCB: ET-5214-510
BBD: MN3005
Clock Driver: MN3101

DM-2A
Marking of PCB: ET-5214-510A
BBD MN3205
Clock Driver: MN3102

DM-2B
Marking of PCB: ET-5214-510B
BBD: MN3205
Clock Driver: MN3102

Specifications

* Controls: Repeat Rate, Echo, Intensity
* Connectors: Input, Output, AC Adaptor
* Current Draw: 11 mA (DC 9V)
* Weight: 450g.
* Input Impedance: 470kOhm
* Output Impedance: Over 10kOhm
* Residual Noise Level: -100dBm (IHF-A)
* Delay Time: 20ms-300ms
* Recommended AC Adaptor: ACA Series

Labels

* Black - Made In Japan
* Green - Made In Japan

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 14 2009, 11:40 AM
I can tell you that if your dates are correct then your VB-2 is worth a small fortune!! I could only find ONE for sale at £200 ($331)!!!
The DM-2 will be worth similar money to that as well.
The PH-2 would sell for about £55-60. ($90-ish).
Personally I'd keep them all!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
skennington
Aug 14 2009, 12:51 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 14 2009, 06:40 AM) *
Personally I'd keep them all!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Me too!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Aug 14 2009, 04:17 PM
Funny story: we were just talking about that green superphaser last night in the GMC chat. I don't know how valuable or collectible it is, but I personally set it way up high in on the "awesome" list. Like, one rank below the old MXR phaser pedals in the big metal casings.

Do let us know if you want to find that precious green device a good home? We loves it.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Cory Martin
Aug 14 2009, 05:28 PM
Of all three of the pedals, the green phaser is my favorite too smile.gif And I did crack my DM-2 open and it is the one with the mn3005. I kinda wanna keep them, but I have this itchin for a new guitar, and this could be my opening haha

--------------------
myspace.com/corymartin67

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 14 2009, 06:20 PM
Lets go fishing!

Wow, those are some great pedals, id hold onto those if I were you biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 14 2009, 11:29 PM
Instructor
Man those are some serious collectible items, and their price can rise even more, I also suggest to keep them, but... if you really want a new guitar, then this is definitely a better value for you.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cory Martin
Aug 15 2009, 12:13 AM
That's what's killing me. I know I could get good money, but I know if I put them in a box in my closet and wait ten years, with the condition they're in. God only knows smile.gif

--------------------
myspace.com/corymartin67

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 15 2009, 12:40 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Unless you really need the money I'd suggest keeping them Cory.

I've not sold a lot of kit in my life but more often than not I've done it when I was short of cash and always ended up regretting it.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Tomas Santa Clar...
Aug 15 2009, 12:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I´d Keep them

those are jewels smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 15 2009, 01:33 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 15 2009, 12:40 AM) *

I've not sold a lot of kit in my life but more often than not I've done it when I was short of cash and always ended up regretting it.

+1 to that Tony!!
I've sold a couple of Guitars when really strapped for Cash and regretted one in particular to this day!!!
It was a '72 Thinline Tele (Jap Re-issue).
I got it cheap to start with (about £250-ish) and sold it for more than I paid for it which was good at the time (about £330-ish). I ended up missing it as it was such a great Guitar so I bought another one that cost me almost twice the original price (I paid £475!) and I also bought an original for a completely exorbitant price ( I paid over £2000!!!) !!
Guess what????
Neither of them sound as good as the first one I had and I have regretted selling that particular instrument ever since!!! I even rang the Guy to see if he'd sell it back to me but unfortunately he'd fell in love with it too!!!
I also had a set of Boss pedals in a BCB 60 Carry Case that I ended up Part-Xing for a multi effects. I rue the day that I ever did that!!!!
sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 16 2009, 01:42 AM
Instructor
I would definetly keep them.. Those old Boss pedals are worth the price they go for smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Jeff
Aug 16 2009, 06:13 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 14 2009, 06:40 PM) *

Absolutely. I sold a 1983 Les Paul Custom years ago when I was strapped for cash and there is not a day that goes by that I don't regret it.

Keep them man.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:28 AM