Ordering A Guitar Neck From E-bay, What to take to consideration
mhskeide
Aug 20 2009, 05:51 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi guys

I`ve started with my re-painting project on my old crappy Aria. If it turns out well, I`ll spend some money on new potmeters, maybe even pups and neck to give it some actual value tongue.gif

Most of the stuffs, my luthier can arrangere for a fair price, but it`s at least 100$ to save when ordering from e-bay instead of buying one in Norway (stupid tax-levels sad.gif)

I`m just thinking of a ordinary strat neck, since I don`t think anything else would suit the guitar. I`d love a scalloped one if the price is right as well. So I was wondering what I have to be careful about. How is it with the screw-holes from my old neck, do they have to fit precisly with the new? And are there any kind of wood or lacquer I should stay away from and so on.

I`m new to this area of "building" guitars, so please, hit me with tips, experience etc. I`ve done a bit of g00gling, but nothing beats true experience right smile.gif ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 21 2009, 01:35 PM
GMC:er
A brand new neck won't have any screw holes in it!
The main considerations are the measurements of the 'Neck Pocket' in the Body, i.e. the width and depth. There are several 'standard' sizes, so just measure across the pocket and make sure you order one with the same measurement!
smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 21 2009, 05:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 21 2009, 02:35 PM) *
A brand new neck won't have any screw holes in it!

smile.gif

Lol, I didn`t think as far. Of course there wont be any screw holes tongue.gif

Thanks man, I think that what was really what I needed most to be told biggrin.gif

Now its Yngwie neck ftw!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 22 2009, 08:51 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Aug 21 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Lol, I didn`t think as far. Of course there wont be any screw holes tongue.gif

Thanks man, I think that what was really what I needed most to be told biggrin.gif

Now its Yngwie neck ftw!

Oh, make sure you know what Tuners you are using and that the Holes in the headstock are the right size!!
smile.gif
Unleash the Fury!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:34 AM