> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #4, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
9 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Tadas
Jan 31 2021, 10:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #4 by Darius Wave

I'm focusing on my picking and I've decided to (hopefully) learn all the alternate picking workouts by Darius, from the easiest, to the most difficult one.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 1 2021, 11:56 AM
GMC Founder
Cool!

This is a very special lesson as it focuses only on getting the basics and details of alternate picking down.

Because when you practice the basics, is when you have a chance to also get the details down. And if you get the details down, you will shine! smile.gif

So with this in mind - I think you do a good job here. However, you could probably also be more relaxed in both your hands. This is the kind of thing that pays back x10 as you tackle more advanced material.

So when possible, I would advise you move the left hand thumb up to the upper edge of the fretboard - like Darius does - as this will allow a more relaxed hand posture.

You might also want to try replicating his right hand fingers posture, typically it's easier to strain/arm the hand when making a fist.

Also, it is a good idea to check that you can play this with minimal picking motion as well - as this will be needed for higher speeds.

Well done - you get a 9 from me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2021, 02:46 PM
Instructor
Hi Tadas!!

You can play this one very well but as it's mostly a lesson to adjust your technique, I would put some more attention to your right hand compared to Darius'. If you check his hand, the up and down movement looks smoother, more natural and relaxed. I can see that your hand is not related and that the picking has an extra effort or more aggressive movement when it reaches the string.

The idea is that you could keep the up and down flow natural as two unique movements and trying to follow the gravity. I hope that it makes sense!

Let me know if you have any questions! Keep on rocking!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2021, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
Well played! You have solid technique going going on here and it's more than enough to Pass this rec! Your synch is strong and picking is clean and strikes are strong. As was mentioned, your still holding a bit of tension in your picking and fretting hands when playing. This is something that is natural, but is worth trying to fight against. The more relaxed your hands can be, the more stamina you can get from them. Tense hands results in the body burning out to quickly. It's not easy to fight the natural instinct to tense up, but it's possible. Focus on keeping the entire body relaxed. As you feel tensing, fight against it. This may mean slowing down playing a bit, until your body adapts. Once you do adapt, your playing will improve and your stamina will increase! You are doing great in bootcamp and in rec. keep it up!

Todd

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 2 2021, 08:06 PM
Instructor
Hey there again!

You have a great attitude and you respecfully attempt to the lessons.

I'm sorry to say this but it surely will nto surprise you. This lesson won't teach you much - it's wa below the level you are able to reach with relaxed playing. To be honest I have nothing to complain here. Every note is even in tempo and even in attack which I like when we speak of slow alternate picking.

My personal opinion is that the actuall progress starts from the point you start to experience problems - slow enough to focus on what you want to hear but fast enough to start bringing some fingers twists etc.

The saying that you need to play slow to be able to play fast is more complex than these few words and in practise need some exlpanation. You always need to know (besides the moments of inspiration while improvisation is in progress) exactly where is a place of each note and what is the picking direction assigned to it but....hands mechanics change while the tempo increases. You need to practise at the tempo where you start to feel discomfort and you need to apply changes to your hand resting point ,angles, pick grip etc. You will see it works different becasue every mechanism needs some improvements to get more efficienty instead of just "overheating"

I'm afraid you hand "layout" will lead you to a stiff forearm and that's whre most of strength and speed will come. In theory ...Jon Petrucci does this and it seems to work fine for him...but...unless your really want to look like John, Zakk or...Hulk Hogan...(smile.gif) there are wasy to achive good speed with less physical effort. To do so you need to involve more muscles of your hand - besides forearm, there should be wrist rotation and thumb motion.Thenit's more related to Malmsteens technique.

You current layout is more jazzy I would say...with fulyl stiff palm. I've been where you are now and I remember how I had to completely redo my hand mechanics to be able to skip to a different level. Maybe it's time to apply little changes one by one so it won't be too much at once. Just loudly thinking...

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 24 2021, 07:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:55 AM