Epiphone Zakk Wylde Signature
fire
Dec 22 2007, 05:09 PM
GMC:er
Hey there

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar and "fall in love" with the zakk wyld bullseye signature from epiphone / gibson.
Because the epiphone guitar is 2000$ cheaper it's reachable for me ( it's about 800 ).

So coming to my question:
Has anybody here experience with an epiphone guitar, reffering to sound ( in comparison to gibson ), workmanship etc?
Can you tell me whether the epiphone one is well, or just a "same-looking" but stupid-sounding gibson clone? biggrin.gif
I'd be pleased for all kind of information.

Thanks for your consideration already tongue.gif

Tobi

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Dec 22 2007, 05:17 PM
ive always like that guitar too

from what i know, correct me if im wrong, but i think gibson owns epiphone so there like gibsons but less expensive

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 22 2007, 05:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Gibson has all the goodies, Epiphone is made cheaper. Still, if you try our a few Epiphones I'm positive you will find one that's close to a Gibson in sound and feel. Gibson holds an overall higher standard so you could pretty much pick one off the shelf and it sounds good, the Epis have to be tested before you know.

I have an Epiphpone and I'm very happy with it. Found it by trying out some that didn't fell or sound that good and side by side with an excellent Gibson. This Epi of mine reached pretty close, no cigar but at a much lower cost.

Try playing it without an amp plugged in. If it rings well or dies. If the acoustics is good unokugged it will rock when you plug in the amp.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Dec 22 2007, 05:27 PM
I have an Epi, but its a LP junior so it sucks(but what can you expect from a guitar for $100???)but i have played that guitar off the shelf at guitar center, i really liked it.I mean, you cant expect it to be as good as the Gibsons,but it's pretty close to some of the Gibson LP's!!BUT:there are much better guitars for $800 than this one, just keep that in mind while you're buying.

This post has been edited by stratman33: Dec 24 2007, 04:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 23 2007, 02:28 PM
Instructor
No epiphone is not some bad clone of GIbsons. IT is a quality made guitar, and if you change your pickups it will sound great.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 23 2007, 03:16 PM
for $800 you can get a much better guitar than the Epi Wylde. I looked into picking one of those up but was not impressed at all by the sound. For $800 you can get an LTD EC1000 that comes with the EMG 81/60 combo. Heck, a Schecter Hellraiser is in there as well. It boasts the EMG 81/85 combo.

I'd do some test driving and play some of these guitars side by side. The EMG HZ doesn't pack nearly the punch it's active brothers do.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Dec 23 2007, 11:43 PM
Although Gibsons are quite a bit better you do pay through the nose for the Gibson brand name, so on a budget Epiphones are probably better value for money. However, Epiphones do vary quite dramatically in production quality and I would definatly agree with the others that have suggested trying before you buy smile.gif

QUOTE (Goliath @ Dec 23 2007, 02:16 PM) *
The EMG HZ doesn't pack nearly the punch it's active brothers do.

Spot on. I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Custom with the active EMG 81 and 85 combination and it's amazing, the HZ is definatly the poor relation. If you're going to be playing metal then the 81/85 combo is a brilliant upgrade.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VinceG
Dec 24 2007, 06:17 AM
Yep, I'm also with Goliath with this one. For $800, you can get many guitars that are far superior than Epiphone. That Zakk Wylde model is only pricey because its a signature. That's all your paying for is the name of the original user. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same $400 Epiphone Standard guitar that's been painted and installed with EMG HZ. If you compare it to other guitars with the same price, I will guarantee you that they all blow this guitar away by a mile stone. Check out Schecters Hell Raiser. Top of the line guitar with active pickups, floyd rose and a quilted maple top for the same price.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
fire
Dec 24 2007, 01:40 PM
thanks for all those answers smile.gif
I know that I do pay for the "signature" but - that's worth it to me tongue.gif
I just love that design hehe

So maybe I'm gonna buy another guitar, and paint it like that smile.gif should be do-able hehe

Tobi

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Dec 26 2007, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Dec 23 2007, 09:16 AM) *
for $800 you can get a much better guitar than the Epi Wylde. I looked into picking one of those up but was not impressed at all by the sound. For $800 you can get an LTD EC1000 that comes with the EMG 81/60 combo. Heck, a Schecter Hellraiser is in there as well. It boasts the EMG 81/85 combo.

I'd do some test driving and play some of these guitars side by side. The EMG HZ doesn't pack nearly the punch it's active brothers do.

i have both of them guitars and the wylde sounds heavier.. i can do a side by side of them and the epi wylde wins everytime

oops i didnt click the smaller pic haha, but the epi rocks... i got the pick up as close as the strings as they can get.. its got a thick chunky sound but ec 1000 has a thinner sound to it but the emg 60 is sweet sounding though, i have the dean from hell too which kicks both there asses haha

Moderator action: Two huge pictures deleted (the same huge picture posted twice side by side to top things off). Feel free to post the picture again after rezising.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 27 2007, 11:42 AM

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 27 2007, 03:14 AM
Wow you must have gotten a dud of an EC-1000. I played them side by side for about an hour 2 weeks ago and I didn't think the Wylde even came close. The only time I've heard an HZ sound good was a Alexi-600 with the preamp on board.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
JukeboxHero
Dec 27 2007, 03:40 AM
Like people said before Gibson owns Epiphone and they are great for people on a budget (like me;)) One thing i have trouble with is the frets on an Epi are NOT GLUED in they are HAMMERED in so they tend to move ever so slightly but that can cause an annoying buzz with or without an amp. Otherwise they are great.

--------------------
Look left------->-------------->------------>-----------> I said left!!!!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 27 2007, 06:22 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
KloCkWorXx, could you please size down the pictures to make them easier to see for everyone, Some people have to scroll way off the page to view these pictures, they are just to big, try a 500x500 size.

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Dec 27 2007, 12:30 PM
yeah that was a mess up on my part sorry..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jan 4 2008, 02:05 PM
Instructor
I've tried it once, it's very cheap too expensive, you really buy the signature, the finish is different, pick up are different, cheap fret job, plastic bad cutted nut, with 800$$$ you can really buy a better guitar, specially used, I saw this september In palmdale (california) Guitar center a used music man john petrucci just for 999$$$

This should make you think.

Joe Kataldo

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
skulptor
Jan 7 2008, 08:58 AM
If you go with epiphone you should look at the Elite series Epi's. Those are made with more love than the standard line in my opinion but price may become a factor.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:26 PM