2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The Trooper - Finished, Go For broke
Chris Evans
Mar 10 2008, 02:44 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Well, lttle ambitious for me to sing this, I had to drop the tuning in the end, found A great program that I bought called "Riffmaster Pro" that allow you to change the pitch etc without changing the actual sound of the mp3, there is a drop off in quality but it was the only way I was ever going to hit the high`s! laugh.gif

Got a kind of "live" feel to I think, anyways still hate my voice, but I think its listenable too?

Breakdown is

Smells - Rhythm hard left and solo one & vocals
Stevie - Rhythm hard right and solo two

Attached File  Trooper_finished1.mp3 ( 3.92MB ) Number of downloads: 716

Congrates to Stevie, who in my opinion picked the harder of the two solo`s but did a great job on it! well done mate! biggrin.gif

Edit:forgot Stevie done the bass also smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Mar 10 2008, 02:53 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siggum
Mar 10 2008, 02:49 PM
GMC:er
Sounds awsome guys, and the vocal rocks Smells, its probably not one of the easiest songs to sing u did awsome tho... Really nice solo's as well biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 10 2008, 03:01 PM
alright, now i really have to learn this song! tongue.gif very nice job guys, everything sounds spot on.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 10 2008, 03:08 PM
Instructor
great work men !!!! You remind me my early years playing guitar, IRON MAIDEN was my inspiration and the reason to start playing guitar, so I can say you recorded a great cover !!! Well done friends wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 10 2008, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Mar 10 2008, 02:08 PM) *
great work men !!!! You remind me my early years playing guitar, IRON MAIDEN was my inspiration and the reason to start playing guitar, so I can say you recorded a great cover !!! Well done friends wink.gif

Cheers Juan smile.gif Maiden has great songs to cover, shame the vocals are so darn high laugh.gif

Thanks guys, didnt turn out too bad in the end biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 10 2008, 03:47 PM
Instructor
Now I remember my early guitar days,Maiden used to be one of my fav bands then,
many thanks for bringing it back Chris and crew,well done!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 10 2008, 04:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey that doesnt sound too bad smile.gif Thanks for the compliment on the solo smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 10 2008, 04:07 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hey Chris, that's awesome mate! Your vocals really stand up well!

A couple of recording tips if I may for the vocals specifically:

1. Sounds like you didn't use a pop shield? FOr 10 quid they can make a lot of difference - if you did use one then I guess it would have been worse without! If you don;t have a pop shield handy you can improve things a little with a de-esser plugin

2. The live feel is mainly because you are getting a lot of "room" sound in your vocal. Recording studios go to great lengths to lose this or to turn it into something pleasing - the average bedrrom recording however suffers from boxiness due to the acoustics of the room.There are a couple of ways to improve on this. The first is acoustic treatments - bass traps, absorption pads etc. You can do a lot like this but it usually runs fowl of the WAF (Wife Appreciation Factor). A second way is to use something like a "Reflexion Filter" - this is a shield that perches on your mic stand and does a fairly good jjob of shielding reflections and takes a lot of the liveness out of the room. When you have a deader sound the ideas is then to add ambience using a reverb plugin that you control, then you are no longer at the mercy of your room sound!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 10 2008, 04:11 PM
Really awesome cover. Both of your solo tones are so good. I can't get a tone like that without my rythem tone sounding bad.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 10 2008, 05:04 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just awesome smile.gif

Congrats guys you are great, looking forward to mare maiden covers. So good!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 10 2008, 05:20 PM
haha awsome cover guys! solos sounded great and so did the rythem playing through out

Great job on the voice too i enjoyed it smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 10 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks guys smile.gif

Andrew, thanks for the tips smile.gif vocals are a definate weakness in all my recordings, a lot of it down to time & equipment, falling foul of the wife laugh.gif love it, but oh so true laugh.gif I think I`m definatly going to invest in a decent mic for starters. Having said that, these vocals are probs one of my better attempts, (recording wise) and I do use a pop filter, but I was really struggling to sing this so had to kind of get into character to do it, ended up prancing around the bedroom, so the pops where unavoidable, I was tempted to vid it for the comedy factor, kinda wish I had know, maybe I`ll do a mime version? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Mar 10 2008, 05:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 10 2008, 05:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
laugh.gif laugh.gif Do it

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 10 2008, 05:44 PM
Instructor
laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 10 2008, 08:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 10 2008, 08:44 PM
Singing Instructor
congrats guys this is awsome....

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 10 2008, 08:44 PM
Get to da Chopper!
This is rocking! well done both of you biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 12 2008, 11:32 AM
This sounds good. We cover The Trooper a lot. Half the time we do a serious cover and half the time we do it in swing time biggrin.gif

The first solo is the harder one of the two. The 2nd one is just a lot of trills and trem arm work. 1st is fairly speedy especially live. smile.gif Both solos sound great though smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 12 2008, 11:36 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 12 2008, 10:32 AM) *
This sounds good. We cover The Trooper a lot. Half the time we do a serious cover and half the time we do it in swing time biggrin.gif

The first solo is the harder one of the two. The 2nd one is just a lot of trills and trem arm work. 1st is fairly speedy especially live. smile.gif Both solos sound great though smile.gif

Yea we play the trooper a lot also, I`ve always thought the 2nd solo was harder for timing, I had to change the pitch to sing it, the other guitarist in the band sings this in normal key tho blink.gif now I have no idea how he does it! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 12 2008, 11:38 AM
QUOTE (Smells @ Mar 12 2008, 10:36 AM) *
Yea we play the trooper a lot also, I`ve always thought the 2nd solo was harder for timing, I had to change the pitch to sing it, the other guitarist in the band sings this in normal key tho blink.gif now I have no idea how he does it! laugh.gif

I can sing this song amazingly. I can ONLY sing high sad.gif I can do Judas Priest and Iron Maiden really well and so can our singer but it is far from easy. I really like this anyway so keep up the good work. I always find the 2nd solo easiest to play. I can barely play the 1st solo as I'm a bit rubbish sad.gif But the 2nd solo I can play well biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Mar 12 2008, 11:39 AM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:36 PM