> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #2, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

nikeman64
Jun 18 2016, 12:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #2 by Darius Wave

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Darius Wave
Jun 18 2016, 03:35 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Thanx for choosing my lesson smile.gif

I have nothing serious to complain. You've managed to keep the contrast between "question and response" in the phrases. Palm muting sounds proper and your picking is consistent(tone-wise) through most of the take. You also kept using proper picking direction change at the final part (that's additional plus for you). As for Alternate picking itselft I can only notice very little timing problems at some points but those are little and most of the time your timing is descent

The problem in your take is the pitch of vibrated note. You tend to bend them a few cents up and then start to vibrate. You do not always go through "perfect pitch point". Try to alwasy fully release the string after each "micro bend" in your vibrato.

I would suggest to rethink your pick grip. Print side of index finger is a risky resting point (most players use the side of index finger). When using print side you rotate your finger so it's more flexible and it need more strength to hold the pick tight. I did the same way years back and I found that the change was critical for my future playing.

Anyway - great job! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 20 2016, 01:12 PM
Instructor
Nico!

Well done on this lesson. Your palm muting control is excellent here. It sounded really chunky when it needed to - you swap between these dynamics very well.

In terms of the picking, timing, coordination aspects... the only issue I saw and heard was the slightly uncoordinated finger shifts at 0:35 and 0:38. Apart from that, everything sounded in order and easily within your capabilities.

As Darius correctly pointed out, your vibrato here is sounding awkward because the string is pulled sharp and the vibrato happens whilst the string is sharp. However, this isn't a vibrato lesson so I'm not deducting anything for that. smile.gif

I also agree that your pick holding is not something that I would go for, personally. There is more movement in the finger joint if you hold the pick on the back of your finger which can make it harder when you want to put a bit more emphasis into your picking.

However, you get a good tone with that and can clearly control your dynamics. Plus, EVH and Mattias Jabs don't have any problems with it so if you're happy with it then no need to change it smile.gif It's up to you and how far you want to go with picking technicality.

Good work N - keep it up!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2016, 10:46 PM
Instructor
Hi again Nico!

It's great to see you working hard! smile.gif

I have nothing else to add to the other instructors comments. I think that they have been precise on the things that you need to improve on this one which I think is very close. Just take care of that vibrato issue which must be fixed, and keep on playing the lesson for some days to keep training your alternate picking technique.

Keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 22 2016, 10:14 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 8

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:23 PM