Oh No! Another "which Amp" Thread
sted
Dec 14 2009, 08:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, you all know me and Gas by now! laugh.gif

Got my fender, had it a while but cant seem to get the tone I want out of it, it just doesnt have enough gain really, even with some high gain pedals it doesnt quite get there for that singing sustain.
Ive been playing the JVM lately and love the lead tones but I know I will want those crisp cleans as well. Ive sort of decided to splash a bit and have narrowed down the field to replace my amp(s) with something a bit special, a Mesa mark V combo.
It seems to be the only one that can claim to cover all the bases and subsequently deliver on those claims, I know a lot of guys and gals (Rok!) use/have used Mesa marks and such on here so I was looking for a bit of honest feedback (No pun intended!).

thanks guys! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ZakkWylde
Dec 14 2009, 09:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great amp. NOT worth the European price by any means!!

2945 Euros = 2659 GBp for a Mesa Mark V combo in Europe

~2100$= 1400Euros= 1250GBP for a Mark V in the United states!

You can either try to import a combo from the states and use it with an adaptor for electricity (which only makes sense if you can avoid the import taxes and have a low shipping rate, otherwise you get close to the store price in Europe)
-OR-
You can get a far better sounding amp for 3000 Euros!!

http://www.thomann.de/de/diezel_einstein_50_combo_6l6gc.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 14 2009, 09:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey man! Before You consider a new amp, switch the pre-amp tube (and change the other as well, but the pre-amp tube is the most significant one...and there's only one...) to NOS tungsram or philips... I did in mine, and now its a completely different amp! smile.gif Fender is probably buying their tubes from china and then put their own logo them... and with no offense to the chinese people, chinese tubes is the worst possible for a tube amp....

//Staffay

EDIT: And You might as well switch the speaker, since Eminence's are good for a clean attack but is worse when it comes to distorsion, try a greenback or one of the custom soeakers out there... I've ordered a Weber for mine, and it will lift the amp it to a real vintage sound....

This post has been edited by Staffy: Dec 14 2009, 09:58 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2009, 12:42 AM
Instructor
I would do what Staffay suggeste, change the tube and the speaker first, possibly trying some good tube distortion pedals as well. I'm looking for a Tonebone Classic tube distortion pedal, it looks and sounds great, I think this pedal would rock on your amp. Fender has a cherry clean sound, no other amp has it, if you like it, try to upgrade the amp itself.
On the other hand, having 2 amps alltogether is not a bad idea as well. There are many options, I'm not sure if you need a big loud tube amp. If the distortion is all you want, try getting a small HQ tube amp that you can crank and use it like that beside Fender. This way you can use both amps for what they do best using A/B switcher. Just a though to consider. A 10-20W tube amp that you can crank often is much better than anything loud and preamp-based. We often underestimate the sound of power tubes these days, everything is becoming too preamp-based unfortunately.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 15 2009, 12:43 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 15 2009, 12:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
Right! I totally agree Ivan. In my belief one amp can't does it all anyway, therefore I got 3 by now (soon 4). The alternative would be a amp-sim, but I haven't heard anyone yet that can match the real stuff... Recently I've tried out Digidesign's Eleven hardware amp-sim, and even that the distorted sounds shine and the effects really is top-notch, it's not really competing with my Marshall and Fender tone-wise.....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2009, 02:28 AM
Instructor
If we set aside the fact that many amps are being mass produced and made for money, every amp's circuit and the amp itself is an artwork of some sort. Possibly applied art, but still art. As art, if we take one amp of every good amp, we cannot compare them, they are just different, individual, and beautiful in the eyes of a human - the individual that is creating the art out of the amp in his eyes (OK, too much philosophy, stopping now rolleyes.gif )
The point is, I agree with you as well mate, if we keep it in the tube domain, and want to use several different characters, we will need several amps. If we insert digital devices, audio quality decreases.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 15 2009, 03:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Dec 15 2009, 12:48 AM) *
Recently I've tried out Digidesign's Eleven hardware amp-sim, and even that the distorted sounds shine and the effects really is top-notch,

//Staffay

never heard of that software, I'm checking there website, sounds pretty amazing in imo

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 15 2009, 12:21 PM
GMC:er
I have to agree with everyone here so far Sted!
For the same price you could be looking at some seriously good Boutique gear over here!
Secondly, changing Tubes and experimenting with different speakers is a lot cheaper!
There's also the option of running two Heads through an A/B Box too!
There, I hope that cleared it all up for you!!!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 15 2009, 12:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 15 2009, 03:42 AM) *
never heard of that software, I'm checking there website, sounds pretty amazing in imo

First Digidesign had the software version that runs only in Pro-tools, but now they made a hardware/standalone version that is recently shipped, and that was the one I was talking bout. I guess they want to compete with the Axe-effects stuff that Marcus told us about in some thread a while ago, this one is half the prize though.... (I havent tested the Axe-effects.... yet....) Im always a little sceptic to the online-demos if it doesn't come from a third part not involved in the manufacturers marketing, since all manufactorers products seems to sound great online - which is of course the purpose, also they are using a lot of other stuff to enhance the sound that they hardly speaks about...

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 15 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yeah the cost is excessive, but I really just want an amp that has all my sounds in, hence the mark series sprang to mind, sure I could go down the route of say a JVM as well as my Fender and switch them but it seems a whole lot of hassle just to get those elusive clean/rhythym/lead tones.
I love orange amps but again they are really just a one trick pony (Albeit they do that trick very nicely!) I would prefer a head but really need a combo for practising etc, and I can always run a 4x12 off the mesa or even a line out to a PA.
I'll check out the options a bit more, Ill let you all know what the decision is!

Thanks for all your help guys!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 15 2009, 08:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (sted @ Dec 15 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yeah the cost is excessive, but I really just want an amp that has all my sounds in, hence the mark series sprang to mind, sure I could go down the route of say a JVM as well as my Fender and switch them but it seems a whole lot of hassle just to get those elusive clean/rhythym/lead tones.
I love orange amps but again they are really just a one trick pony (Albeit they do that trick very nicely!) I would prefer a head but really need a combo for practising etc, and I can always run a 4x12 off the mesa or even a line out to a PA.
I'll check out the options a bit more, Ill let you all know what the decision is!

Thanks for all your help guys!

No probs buddy! But keep in mind that every amp has its own unique sound. The Mark V is an awesome pieco of gear, but dont expect it to sound like a Marshall or Fender - it will simply sound as a..... Mesa Boogie!!! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 15 2009, 09:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
Have you ever played the Mark V? How do you know it's you solution to your amp-problems?

It can do a lot of sounds but like Staffy said, it's still a Mesa and it will sound like Mesa crunch or Mesa clean, not Marshall crunch and Fender clean.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 15 2009, 09:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Don't know how close you are to london but have you ever concidered a handwired amp from there? I think if you get the right one you'll have somehing that will kill and humiliate all other amps. cool.gif

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 15 2009, 10:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 15 2009, 08:03 PM) *
Have you ever played the Mark V? How do you know it's you solution to your amp-problems?

It can do a lot of sounds but like Staffy said, it's still a Mesa and it will sound like Mesa crunch or Mesa clean, not Marshall crunch and Fender clean.

Yeah I know what you're saying, I wouldnt put my dilemma as a problem though, more a preference! My fender is only really good for blues and stuff which is great, but to kick up the gain and do some stinging lead stuff it just doesnt cut it, if I could get the tones i want in one amp it would be great, sadly I dont think it exists, but this does seem a good solution.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 15 2009, 08:29 PM) *
Don't know how close you are to london but have you ever concidered a handwired amp from there? I think if you get the right one you'll have somehing that will kill and humiliate all other amps. cool.gif

Yeah mate! Im in fact 350 miles from london and have to get most of my stuff mail order, the shops round here only sell mainstream stuff, nohing boo-teek!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2009, 02:32 AM
Instructor
Let us know what you got mate! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 16 2009, 03:08 AM
I know that this is an amp thread... but have you looked into swapping out your pickups? Perhaps some hotter pickups (or just different pickups) would give you the tone your looking for? cool.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
jdriver
Dec 16 2009, 05:04 AM
Bob at Eurotubes has a lot of options for the Blues Deluxe... He knows what he's talking about.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?pa...category_id=122

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Dec 16 2009, 08:30 PM
Instructor
Have a listen to this piece of gear smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 16 2009, 08:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Aleksander Sukovic @ Dec 16 2009, 07:30 PM) *

wow, they really are something else those dumbles, god knows how much one of those would be tho!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 16 2009, 08:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Aleksander Sukovic @ Dec 16 2009, 08:30 PM) *

Dumble is also developed from the original Fender 57' deluxe circuit..... with some mods of course.... smile.gif

QUOTE (sted @ Dec 15 2009, 10:07 PM) *
My fender is only really good for blues and stuff which is great, but to kick up the gain and do some stinging lead stuff it just doesnt cut it, if

With no offense, I still won't agree to that, if You put a pre-amp tube with a lot of gain, the amp will really sing in conjuntion with a booster or Metal Pedal....

//Staffay

QUOTE (jdriver @ Dec 16 2009, 05:04 AM) *
Bob at Eurotubes has a lot of options for the Blues Deluxe... He knows what he's talking about.

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?pa...category_id=122

This is really what I mean, but even better is to try to find an amp technichian and try different combinations of tubes to find some You like. This amp can deliver a lot of sounds with the appropiate tubes/speakers.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:59 PM