Your Next Goal!
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2015, 04:04 PM
Instructor
Let's talk about GOALS! We always talk about the importance of having clear and defined goals, in order to design doable plans to achieve them.

So the question is, what are your next goals? and the second question is, do you have a defined plan to achieve them?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 5 2015, 04:23 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jun 5 2015, 04:42 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hmm I have different goals but the main purpose is the same: To be a better guitar player.
My different goals is fix my timing issues, to develop a trained ear so I can play what I hear in my mind and to improve my improvisation.
And I am working on these different goals in different ways, the timing issues do I work with you in Timing Workout, to develop my ear do I work in the Ear training issues and to improve my improvisation do I work with you in the Melody workout in my mentoring thread and in the Creativity Workout.
I think that is all my goals for now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 5 2015, 09:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Apart from the mechanical skills that I need to work on I would like to understand more about what I am doing. I would like to gradually build my knowledge of the fretboard, scales etc. When I see top guitarists playing, they play from one end of the neck to the other in the same key (I think) whereas I only stay in one box position. When I do the creativity workshop, I tend to open the scale generator and make it display ALL positions for the key that is suggested. The problem with that is that it doesn't stick on your head.

I've read the Idiots Guide To Music Theory from cover to cover but that doesn't stick in my head either. I need small chunks of info and the time to absorb and understand them.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 5 2015, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:00 PM) *
Apart from the mechanical skills that I need to work on I would like to understand more about what I am doing. I would like to gradually build my knowledge of the fretboard, scales etc. When I see top guitarists playing, they play from one end of the neck to the other in the same key (I think) whereas I only stay in one box position. When I do the creativity workshop, I tend to open the scale generator and make it display ALL positions for the key that is suggested. The problem with that is that it doesn't stick on your head.

I've read the Idiots Guide To Music Theory from cover to cover but that doesn't stick in my head either. I need small chunks of info and the time to absorb and understand them.

Phil

Hey man! I wrote this a while back, it's how I learned to get out of playing in a single box, maybe it'll help you? It's just a different approach to learning scales, rather than in boxes, it's in much smaller chunks.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52237

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 5 2015, 11:40 PM
Cheers my friend smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 6 2015, 05:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jun 5 2015, 12:42 PM) *
Hmm I have different goals but the main purpose is the same: To be a better guitar player.
My different goals is fix my timing issues, to develop a trained ear so I can play what I hear in my mind and to improve my improvisation.
And I am working on these different goals in different ways, the timing issues do I work with you in Timing Workout, to develop my ear do I work in the Ear training issues and to improve my improvisation do I work with you in the Melody workout in my mentoring thread and in the Creativity Workout.
I think that is all my goals for now.

Excellent! Thanks for the answer and details Alex! I'm sure that your post will inspired many students here. smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 5 2015, 05:00 PM) *

Phil

Those are very clear and interesting goals:

- Theory applied to music.

- Eliminating fret board's blind spots

We can work on this. I've checked Socky's thread and there are some really cool ideas about working on scales horizontally, and moving phrases to different octaves. Both things helps a lot to eliminate blind spots.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slimfinger
Jun 6 2015, 11:23 PM
GMC:er
Hi

My goal is to honestly figure out what I need to practice that will enable me to create my own style of playing.

I just Do Not have the attention span to learn a song , there is just no song that I like that much , to want to learn it.

I know that sounds weird but my enjoyment comes from noodling on the acoustic , Im just not sure how to get my noodling to the next level.

As I stated in my other post , Im 50 and I don't have the time to learn a bunch of styles.

So I am concentrating on the acoustic blues , that is the sound that I love and I would love to somewhat master the sound.

thats my goal

Thanks Slimfinger

+Quote Post
Tom51
Jun 7 2015, 11:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Setting goals can be tricky. If they are too ambitious you are most likely to fail and get frustrated. But setting goals also allows me to better focus on things I want to achieve. What styles of music do I want to play and do I need to learn to get there.
There is so much here that I could learn but only a few of us will have the time and talent to get into everything from country to metal. So setting goals is also the decision to leave things out.

My short term goals are all about my current lessons. Very small steps to reach to get me a success moment every once in a while. We all need this to stay motivated.

On the long term....well: A few years down the road I would like to come home from work, switch on my amp and take the guitar and play whatever my feelings tell me. Not playing a song I learned or a lesson. I mean just taking a backing track or making a rhythm backing with the guitar on my own. And then knowing enough about music theory to solo over this backing. I guess you all know what I mean.

Time will tell if that beginners dream was a goal that was set ways too ambitious...

Cheers Tom

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jun 7 2015, 12:05 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 7 2015, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jun 5 2015, 09:41 PM) *
Hey man! I wrote this a while back, it's how I learned to get out of playing in a single box, maybe it'll help you? It's just a different approach to learning scales, rather than in boxes, it's in much smaller chunks.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52237

Sorry Gab, I know this is slightly off topic but I didn't know where else to put it. I've put it into the main Socky thread too.

Thanks again Socky. Some people may miss this link at the bottom of the page where the octave video is. It's something I'm going to do daily. I struggle to remember this like this for some reason so parrot fashion is the way to go I think laugh.gif

http://www.justinguitar.com/images/IM_imag...FinderSheet.pdf

1. Choose a note (on the top left)
2. Time how long it takes to find all those notes and write them on the neck

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 7 2015, 07:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slimfinger @ Jun 6 2015, 07:23 PM) *
Hi

My goal is to honestly figure out what I need to practice that will enable me to create my own style of playing.

I just Do Not have the attention span to learn a song , there is just no song that I like that much , to want to learn it.

I know that sounds weird but my enjoyment comes from noodling on the acoustic , Im just not sure how to get my noodling to the next level.

As I stated in my other post , Im 50 and I don't have the time to learn a bunch of styles.

So I am concentrating on the acoustic blues , that is the sound that I love and I would love to somewhat master the sound.

thats my goal

Thanks Slimfinger

Hi mate, these are really clear goals. Based on what I know from you, I think that dividing your time between learning some blues lessons (and its theory behind) and working on your own improvisations, musical compositions is the way to go.

The best way to develop your own voice on guitar is combining study with the real process of creating music.

Also, some ear training exercises can help to make the connection between your mind and guitar smoother.

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Jun 7 2015, 07:41 AM) *
Setting goals can be tricky. If they are too ambitious you are most likely to fail and get frustrated. But setting goals also allows me to better focus on things I want to achieve. What styles of music do I want to play and do I need to learn to get there.
There is so much here that I could learn but only a few of us will have the time and talent to get into everything from country to metal. So setting goals is also the decision to leave things out.

My short term goals are all about my current lessons. Very small steps to reach to get me a success moment every once in a while. We all need this to stay motivated.

On the long term....well: A few years down the road I would like to come home from work, switch on my amp and take the guitar and play whatever my feelings tell me. Not playing a song I learned or a lesson. I mean just taking a backing track or making a rhythm backing with the guitar on my own. And then knowing enough about music theory to solo over this backing. I guess you all know what I mean.

Time will tell if that beginners dream was a goal that was set ways too ambitious...

Cheers Tom

Very inspiring words Tom. I agree with everything you've said here, and let me say that your long term goal is not too ambitious, it will happen.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:07 PM