2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Single Vs Album
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2013, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! I just found a very cool post at Facebook by Nikki Sixx (Motley Crue's Bassist) where he talks about how cool the experiencee of hearing a whole album is, and that it's being missed now that people is used to buy singles.

This is what he wrote:

"When I was scrounging through record shops as a kid you usually (unless you just shopped for single's) bought the whole album.I always fell deeper in love with the band because "ALL" their songs spoke to me.Of course some jumped out at you right away while other's grew on you but you didn't skip any songs,you would listen from top to bottom over and over again.

When I started making albums I alway believed the WHOLE album was the adventure.Of course there is the lead single for radio but when did THAT become the whole experience?
I talk to more and more people everyday who tell me they only buy singles now.iTunes hasn't helped for that of course.We have asked them many times to bundle our album as one download so fans wouldn't cherry pick the hits and miss the hidden gems but its nots part of their business model.I love iTunes and buy music almost daily from it but it still frustrates me.I just wish more people clicked "BUY ALBUM".Maybe I am old fashioned in how I believe music should be listened to but I refuse to ever buy just a bands single.I always buy the WHOLE album.I encourage you to do the same.Tecnology may have changed but the fact that a band makes a WHOLE album for you hasn't.Dig deep and I promise you,you will fall deeper in love with the artist than you ever could only listening to one song.

Thoughts?" by Nikki Sixx

What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 31 2013, 03:14 PM
Learning Roadie
I definitely agree, I think it's part of the whole instant gratification culture we're in.

There have been albums which had songs I didn't like first time round but after a few listens became favourites. Also a lot of albums are great because of the sequence the songs are in.

I think because music is all around us now, in fact it's hard to get away from it, we've lost the art of truly listening to it, where we create a time and space just to sit still and take it all in.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2013, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Yeah, I agree with you... what would be of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album in this Itunes Era??

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 1 2013, 07:20 PM
Instructor
I absolutely agree with Nikki.

An album, or 'record' as it was originally known, is indeed a 'record' of a particular time and place in a band's life. A whole vibe or atmosphere can be encapsulated in an album. Not only that, but we all have memories of certain albums at certain times of our lives. And the songs evoke mental pictures. The artist (and often record company or producer) chose the song order so everything was supposed to be received and experienced a certain way by the listener. It's like framing a picture or directing a movie.

I think it's a bit of a shame that it's too easy not to experience the overall effect that an artist wanted to give.

It would be like movies coming out but the viewers can pick and choose what scenes they want to watch.. so the director never gets his/her chance to give their vision to the listener unmolested in its intended form.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the way music consumption is going.. it's the future and we have to accept and work with it.. but I do totally agree with Nikki and I do think we, as musicians, need to take other measures to help present and frame our art so that it can be received in the manner we intended it to be. It's our spirit after all.. and I want someone to get all of it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 1 2013, 07:20 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 1 2013, 08:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
there's a few albums which I almost always listen to as a whole and rarely stick a couple of songs from them into a playlist just because they dont seem 'right' unless you have the whole album. 'Wish you were here' by the floyd would be the first that spring to mind for me.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2013, 08:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 1 2013, 03:20 PM) *

An album, or 'record' as it was originally known, is indeed a 'record' of a particular time and place in a band's life. A whole vibe or atmosphere can be encapsulated in an album. Not only that, but we all have memories of certain albums at certain times of our lives. And the songs evoke mental pictures. The artist (and often record company or producer) chose the song order so everything was supposed to be received and experienced a certain way by the listener. It's like framing a picture or directing a movie.

I think it's a bit of a shame that it's too easy not to experience the overall effect that an artist wanted to give.

It would be like movies coming out but the viewers can pick and choose what scenes they want to watch.. so the director never gets his/her chance to give their vision to the listener unmolested in its intended form.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the way music consumption is going.. it's the future and we have to accept and work with it.. but I do totally agree with Nikki and I do think we, as musicians, need to take other measures to help present and frame our art so that it can be received in the manner we intended it to be. It's our spirit after all.. and I want someone to get all of it smile.gif

Comparing an album with a movie is a very good way to understand this concept. It's true that not every album is created like with a concept that connects all the songs. But as you said, there is some magic happening when an album is composed and recorded and the only way to feel it is listening to the whole thing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 1 2013, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
I just like that atavistic thinking has become retro hip.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 2 2013, 06:27 AM

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Sep 1 2013, 11:14 PM
When I listen to an album that I have just bought, I would probably favour one or two of the tracks...the tracks that made me buy the album...but as time moves on..I often find the tracks that I favour change to others. An album is part of a story that should fit together...if it isn't I don't usually want to listen to it and I would just play the track I prefer...If bands want to sell an album...maybe they should think about the 'storyline' that is being listened to....If there is no track cohesion, then maybe they shouldn't make an album. There are few experiences in life that can 'carry' you for the same time as a good album. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 2 2013, 08:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think the album and the single are different things, with pros and cons. As Nikki Sixx said, an album is an experience, which is completely understandable and I agree. However, if you're an independent artist and you make an album, I find that a lot of the time a big portion of the attention will go to one or two tracks. I think this is because people see an album as a group a tracks, not as a collection on track 1, track 2 etc.

On the other hand, if you are an independent musician and you release a single, you can focus your attention onto the one track, and get more people interested in you. I think also, people have limited time and are much more likely to listen to a single song than a whole album. Especially if they don't know the artist. That is just my opinion smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2013, 01:00 PM
Instructor
Well, this is a very interesting topic for me at least at this particular moment in time smile.gif Why? Because Days of Confusion - my band, that is - is ready to release a single this autumn, which is meant to announce the arrival of our full album in March - April next year. We did it as a means to make some noise around the album beforehand and we plan to release it in a digital form, so that people may buy it. Do you guys find this a good idea, in this particular context, or not? It will also have a music video smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 2 2013, 05:04 PM
If you release the single in autumn but don't plan on releasing the album until spring I think you're waiting too long. People will forget about you.
Put the releases closer together (december for the single).
Release 'the first' single around xmas and another one 3 weeks before the record. You need to keep their interest.

*Yeah, people are busy these days. No, make that distracted - generally the same amount of actual 'work' gets done as it always has. If a band puts all their energy into one or two singles and not producing an entire work (i.e., record) - and lets face it, the gold standard is still about 45 minutes to an hour of music - then folks are going to get bored and move on to something else. That's nothing new in the music (entertainment) business. It's always been that way. Only one or two songs - even if they're modest 'hits' ... you're forgotten in a year. You gotta have product. Whether you release it bit by bit or all at once it still has to be compelling enough to keep their interest. Don't let them forget you.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 2 2013, 05:09 PM

+Quote Post
zicco
Sep 2 2013, 05:48 PM
Absolutely albums

I still go to the store and buy albums!

I love the feeling of holding it in my hands, reading and looking at the pictures on the cover and so on, and then finally sit down and listen and enjoy the music.

There is nothing that can beat it. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 2 2013, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2013, 09:00 AM) *
Well, this is a very interesting topic for me at least at this particular moment in time smile.gif Why? Because Days of Confusion - my band, that is - is ready to release a single this autumn, which is meant to announce the arrival of our full album in March - April next year. We did it as a means to make some noise around the album beforehand and we plan to release it in a digital form, so that people may buy it. Do you guys find this a good idea, in this particular context, or not? It will also have a music video smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 2 2013, 01:04 PM) *
If you release the single in autumn but don't plan on releasing the album until spring I think you're waiting too long. People will forget about you.
Put the releases closer together (december for the single).
Release 'the first' single around xmas and another one 3 weeks before the record. You need to keep their interest.

*Yeah, people are busy these days. No, make that distracted - generally the same amount of actual 'work' gets done as it always has. If a band puts all their energy into one or two singles and not producing an entire work (i.e., record) - and lets face it, the gold standard is still about 45 minutes to an hour of music - then folks are going to get bored and move on to something else. That's nothing new in the music (entertainment) business. It's always been that way. Only one or two songs - even if they're modest 'hits' ... you're forgotten in a year. You gotta have product. Whether you release it bit by bit or all at once it still has to be compelling enough to keep their interest. Don't let them forget you.

This is something that we did with Cirse, and it worked so good! We wasn't able to record a whole album the last year so we recorded 2 songs, and release them in August 2012. We did 2 videoclips and we could do many things thanks to that in the following year that took record the full cd. If the songs are strong enough and you already have music edited this will really help.

It's true that it's not the best to have a long period of time between the single and the cd but this could be solved releasing 2 or 3 singles in this period. Even worse is not releasing music at all.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2013, 09:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 2 2013, 05:27 PM) *
This is something that we did with Cirse, and it worked so good! We wasn't able to record a whole album the last year so we recorded 2 songs, and release them in August 2012. We did 2 videoclips and we could do many things thanks to that in the following year that took record the full cd. If the songs are strong enough and you already have music edited this will really help.

It's true that it's not the best to have a long period of time between the single and the cd but this could be solved releasing 2 or 3 singles in this period. Even worse is not releasing music at all.

Hey Ken and Gabe - the distance is not so big, due to the fact that in the following months we are having more events planned alongside with the single release:

- An MTV Unplugged session which will become a DVD and it will be aired on MTV Romania during the Alternative Nation show
- A minitour consisting of 5 cities alongside our buddies from Goodbye to Gravity meant to promote the single release
- Releasing a series of live studio recordings of the whole 'Seeds' EP which we shot last month

I guess these things will keep people entertained and with their eyes and ears on us until March/ April when the full album is released.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 3 2013, 03:45 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2013, 01:01 AM) *
Hey Ken and Gabe - the distance is not so big, due to the fact that in the following months we are having more events planned alongside with the single release:

- An MTV Unplugged session which will become a DVD and it will be aired on MTV Romania during the Alternative Nation show
- A minitour consisting of 5 cities alongside our buddies from Goodbye to Gravity meant to promote the single release
- Releasing a series of live studio recordings of the whole 'Seeds' EP which we shot last month

I guess these things will keep people entertained and with their eyes and ears on us until March/ April when the full album is released.

That's really cool that you're doing all that but I personally would still pick a second single to release somewhere in there. Maybe one of the 'session' live cuts - ?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 3 2013, 03:50 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 3 2013, 05:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 3 2013, 05:01 AM) *

Great plan mate! If it's possible I'm with Klasaine on this, a second single would be great... new music is always very refreshing for fans.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 4 2013, 07:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 3 2013, 04:05 PM) *
Great plan mate! If it's possible I'm with Klasaine on this, a second single would be great... new music is always very refreshing for fans.

Might be we could release one of the acoustic songs as an acoustic single to promote the Acoustic DVD a little smile.gif I think this could be an idea!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 4 2013, 10:22 AM
I"M WITH YOU GUYS 100 PERCENT!!!

It's sadly one of the things that has simply gone the way of the Dodo bird and nearly died out here to some degree with the collapse of physical media as a sales format and the rise of the "digital single". sad.gif

HOWEVER!!!!! Good music never really dies. Fans are find real music via the web and even through buying used CDs/Albums etc. and experiencing the full monty for themselves. There are still great magazines like DECIBEL that focus on bands that actually play their own instruments and write their own music.

So just as it has done in the past, "good" ( by that I mean well written and played with some degree of virtuosity and care) Music has gone underground in the states and has taken root across the pond in Europe. Not to mention CHINA which has a very young Rock/Metal scene full of kids just winging it and playing Slayer covers and trading CDs and MP3s the way kids used to trade tapes way back in the day.

Real music just can't be killed. As long as there are people that really love music, the long form album/cd will never really go away. Just mutate in to something new shared in new ways. wink.gif

Here is a blog post about a small slice of the music scene in Shanghai smile.gif

http://shamussillar.com/2013/03/china-flas...ds-and-mohawks/

Todd

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 1 2013, 02:20 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 4 2013, 10:26 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2013, 08:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 4 2013, 03:49 AM) *
Might be we could release one of the acoustic songs as an acoustic single to promote the Acoustic DVD a little smile.gif I think this could be an idea!

This sounds like a good idea! All the best mate. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 5 2013, 09:18 AM
QUOTE (zicco @ Sep 2 2013, 06:48 PM) *
Absolutely albums

I still go to the store and buy albums!

I love the feeling of holding it in my hands, reading and looking at the pictures on the cover and so on, and then finally sit down and listen and enjoy the music.

There is nothing that can beat it. biggrin.gif

NO|thING!

END OF DISCUSSION!! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:44 PM