4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Women Who Rock!
rokchik
Aug 24 2007, 07:58 AM
The Dark Canuck
Hey ladies (and Gents)

We always here about the male musicians who inspire people but I was just wondering if anyone had any female musicians who inspired them? Or even just women who you admire musically. Whether it was to play guitar, sing, songwrite whatever.

For me it would be

Stevie Nicks: her songwritting is so raw and emotional. She's been around forever and she's still going strong. When she sings it's just pure emotion; I still get goose bumps when I hear "Silver Springs" or "Landslide". Just an amazing talent.

Joan Jett: probably my favorite female guitarist. I've loved her since I was a kid. I can still remember doing air guitar to " I love Rock 'n' Roll" pretending to be Jett. I wanted to be in a rock band so bad....still do kind of....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by rokchik: Aug 24 2007, 08:20 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 24 2007, 08:01 AM
GMC:er
Mia Dyson: Rocks!

Joan Baez: Lovely!

Will elaborate later, gotta go to work. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 24 2007, 08:12 AM
Learning Roadie
Kim Deal: need I say more.

There's a lot of others, but mostly singers. I don't know very many female musicians who inspire me unfortunately :/

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Slammer
Aug 24 2007, 08:18 AM
Nancy Wilson From the band Heart.

Not to Mention her sister Ann Wilson on Vocals.

If you've ever heard any of Heart's music you'll see that Nancy could just flat out Play.

The Intro to the song "Crazy on you" is well Crazy!

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 24 2007, 08:22 AM
Grace Slick. Her voice is amazing. And she was sooo beautiful in the 60's smile.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cfTMdjkYM Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OXKEMnDnQ4c - Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to love. I think everyone have heard this song. Its soooooo awesome.

Lets not forget Carola! biggrin.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AzgIGom7gFw

Btw swedes. What is the name of the Carola song where she sings "Bli her i mörket hos meg. Tiden den stannar når vi rör i hverandra". That song is rockin' man biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Aug 24 2007, 08:32 AM

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 24 2007, 08:23 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Slammer @ Aug 24 2007, 04:18 AM) *
Nancy Wilson From the band Heart.

Not to Mention her sister Ann Wilson on Vocals.

If you've ever heard any of Heart's music you'll see that Nancy could just flat out Play.

The Intro to the song "Crazy on you" is well Crazy!

Slammer, I agree Heart is a great band. Nancy can sure lay out some amazing riffs.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 24 2007, 08:42 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
My Favorite Women Who Rock

Angela Gossow: Arch Enemy
Kate French: Vainglory
Simone Simmons: Epica
Tarja Turunen: Ex-Nightwish
Annete Olzen: Nightwish
Doro Pesch: Warlock/ Doro
Kimberly Goss: Singery
Floor Jansen: After Forever

These Musicians inspire me greatly, especially Gossow, Pesch, Turunen, Simmons, and Kate French, there vocals are amazing and there songwriting is top knotch, even though they are vocalists, they make me want to excel better at guitar, and music composing, and just music in general.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 24 2007, 08:50 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Robin @ Aug 24 2007, 09:22 AM) *
Btw swedes. What is the name of the Carola song where she sings "Bli her i mörket hos meg. Tiden den stannar når vi rör i hverandra". That song is rockin' man biggrin.gif

That's not Carola, that's Freestyle. If this is the song you mean; Vill ha dig i mörkret hos mig. Tiden den stannar när vi rör vid varann, å jag lättar jag svävar jag flyger fram, låt det aldrig ta slut.

haha, that came when I was a teenager and it was so popular.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I want you

And to stay on Rokchicks subject, I remember joan JetT aswell and that song rocked hard but I would say Lita Ford, especially for "Close my eyes forever", her voice is really strong there.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 24 2007, 09:05 AM

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 24 2007, 08:55 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 24 2007, 07:50 AM) *
That's not Carola, that's Freestyle. If this is the song you mean; Vill ha dig i mörkret hos mig. Tiden den stannar när vi rör vid varann, å jag lättar jag svävar jag flyger fram, låt det aldrig ta slut.

haha, that came when I was a teenager and it was so popular.

Ah I was sure it was Carola! tongue.gif Well anyway, its a funny song biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 24 2007, 09:01 AM
Bonnie Raitt
Also there is the woman on utube that can shred just as good as the guys can im not sure what her name is though tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Robin
Aug 24 2007, 09:35 AM
WOW! I just stumbled across a band called Gallhammer. An all-girl black metal band! And this is REAL black metal!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3px76Av88Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FeyAdbQLViE&...ted&search=

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 24 2007, 10:10 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Lots,
but particularly
Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth) - lots of reasons including attitude.
Patti Smith - great song writer
Lydia Lunch - attitude
Diamanda de Galas - wonderful voice
Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane era only though) - great voice and interesting song writing.
Patti Austen - again a great voice and versatile
Anita Baker - as above
Ella - repitition
Billie Holiday - rolleyes.gif everything she ever did but particularly the wake call of 'strange fruit'

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 24 2007, 10:16 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Robin @ Aug 24 2007, 04:35 AM) *
WOW! I just stumbled across a band called Gallhammer. An all-girl black metal band! And this is REAL black metal!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3px76Av88Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FeyAdbQLViE&...ted&search=

Yeah they are pretty cool my friend on another forum showed them to me last year.

+Quote Post
Gen
Aug 24 2007, 10:38 AM
I found an awesome woman guitarist 2 month ago, i think she s pretty good, her name is Katrina Johansson.
here s her descritpion: http://www.deanguitars.com/katrina_johansson.php

and you can listen some audio samples here : http://www.katrinaguitar.com/downloads.html she s really good!

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 25 2007, 07:15 PM
Mia Dyson Australian Musician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtVzVdkWYpA

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjoerne
Aug 25 2007, 07:21 PM
Alanis morisette and Anouk is nice to listen to sometimes , but im mostly into metal so the favourite female musican must be Angela gossow smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Aug 25 2007, 08:54 PM
Instructor
I really like Sandra Nasic of Guano Apes and Skin with Skunk Anansie.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 25 2007, 10:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Aug 25 2007, 03:54 PM) *
I really like Sandra Nasic of Guano Apes and Skin with Skunk Anansie.

Chrissie Hynde

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 25 2007, 11:00 PM
Instructor
Bonnie Raitt and Nancy Wilson. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
AliMo
Aug 26 2007, 02:02 AM
Hayley Williams of Paramore

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:42 PM