3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Why Do Some Guitarists Become Globally Famous?, and others just as good or even better technically are not much?
maharzan
Jan 1 2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I see another example.. funtwo from youtube.. luck is one big factor too imo. he is more famous than the original composer.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Jan 1 2010, 07:15 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 1 2010, 09:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
My kids dont know any Satriani's,Vai's or SRV's, but they do know Madonna and High School Musical...... (at least they recognize the name Jimi Hendrix and that Deep Purple wrote Smoke On the Water though... smile.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
MirkoSchmidt
Jan 1 2010, 01:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Dec 31 2009, 07:39 PM) *
Michael Lee Firkins is also a very famous guitar player. tongue.gif

Technique is not so important. Being able to make music that reach people emotionally (be it by being amazed, sad, happy, etc etc) is another thing. You need to make the music that people need to hear at the right moment, looking the way people want you to look right then, and meet the right people who can help you there. Music is different now than the 80's, so guitar shredders won't be world famous in the same way anyhow now tongue.gif

+1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 1 2010, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Having great guitar technique isn't that much related to being famous. If that was the case, many great players would be famous now. It's the hit songs, putting up a good and memorable show, and knowing the right people that is important. You can play 4 notes at the time and still be famous, if you have all the right stuff mentioned above.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 1 2010, 07:38 PM
Instructor
It's been great to read your opinions! you got me thinking!

I think consistancy and perseverance definitely is a factor in the long term.

But I really feel that the visual aspect of it really strikes people. Take even Nirvana. You might say that they are not really that visually striking, but in the context of the 80's fashion, these guys were total outsiders! broke down the mold.

You are welcome in Colombia anytime tongue.gif but I think you can get the really good export "material" (coffee) over there in Europe.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 2 2010, 04:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 31 2009, 09:53 PM) *
And i would like to ad : stage presence and showmanship go along way. I would of rather watched steve, it was much more enjoyable and i feel alot off good guitar players rely on just there playing to get the job done. That's what i mis the most about the metal shows i grew up with.

yeah, that's where the funnel really shrinks isn't it?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
zen
Jan 2 2010, 05:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
OK , my views are more generalized on the topic and not really related to the 2 videos or artists being compared and not necessarily confined to guitarists.. but music in general....

What makes a person famous? Being liked by many... by MAJORITY.. The masses that make the majority think as a mob. Individual opinions and behaviors are heavily manipulated by what the majority thinks.. In this hypocritical society, it is often considered 'not cool' to speak out against what the masses like or enjoy.. WHY? Is it becoz you are wrong or your interest in an infamous artist not worth mentioning? Or is it coz of the stigma associated with standing out of the crowd? The MAJORITY that i speak about do not understand the technial aspect of music at all.. They like an artist due to reasons of ...

- Looks/ Image - Image can be good looking or ugly .. both sell (This is well taken care of under marketing of the band) - OMG, she's so hot, Id rather keep looking at her.. i dnt give a @!#$ wht she's singing or playin as long as she can continue to wear skimpy clothes and keep bendin over..
- their need to blend into the society and being accepted by faking or linking what the masses are listening to
- easy 4 chord music containing easy repeatable melodies
- they are looking for something that they can dance to... the MAJORITY love to dance .. this is a need for them that they look for in music
- sexual lyrics (hump this, hump that , hump the world... ) .. Why? Coz it is THE song in the nightclubs that people are shaking their ass to, hence Wow, that artists is so cool .. He makes music that we brainless dumb@#$ can relate to .. ( Ok this is not related to guitarists but i had to stick this in somewhere ,, hahaha )

How do some artists become famous..

- It is not WHAT you know but WHO you know that makes or breaks you after a certain point.
- Marketing, Marketing, Marketing .. (this is where the how to sell the image and the music of the band comes into play amongst other things like knowing the audience, where to market ..etc .. This is where the shittiest band or music can be decorated in gold and presented to the masses as the next best thing ... Supply and demand factors come into play when targeting the audience, decisions like for instance its better to spend more percentage of money in advertising a metal band in europe as compared to remote countries.. where there is more demand and an already existing fanbase.
- Advertising, advertising, advertising .. (Media, internet, interviews, shows, blogs... free samples of music.. globally ..) - This is probably what addresses the 'Global' element of this thread.. Some marketing and advertising managers forget to spare a chunk of cash to markets globally .. They do so coz it is always a risk that they will not get a return on their investment .. But those who take risks can make an artist famous in the remotest areas of the world..
- They don't WAIT TO BE DISCOVERED. !! They do something about it and are shameless about it coz they are hungry..
- Of course TALENT: you may be able to fool the audience in purchasing your 1st CD somehow but eventually, all your skills will play a role including constantly upskilling
- By playing and performing with famous artists - This is a great strategic move that every famous artist knows. If famous bands are friends with someone 'infamous', they let them open for them at gigs etc and make them heard ... (once again, WHO you know factor comes into play here) .. (Also comes in the factor of ... " Oh, oh you know what !! these guyz opened up for XYZ ,, they MUST BE GREAT .. lets buy their album or go see their gig)

BUT.........

The sad thing is that whether you like it or not ... only a small percentage of guitarists will make it huge (therefore the need for day jobs to EAT) and the ones that do will have different stories but also varied talents.... But there are some things that will be common in all of them, no matter how lucky they were in making it big....... HARD WORK .. DETERMINATION .. AND THE WILL TO SUCCEED

p.s - I should really apply for that MBA .. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by zen: Jan 2 2010, 07:23 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Jan 2 2010, 09:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (zen @ Jan 2 2010, 05:29 AM) *
p.s - I should really apply for that MBA .. laugh.gif

Haha, Yeah, go for it! I very well agree to You in Your analysis here, and I will say that the changes to be famous/rich will be a lot bigger if You are a scientist with a MBA than a lousy guitar player..... laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 2 2010, 04:02 PM
Instructor
nice input Zen, thank you!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jan 27 2010, 04:48 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Being technically brilliant doesn't have to do anyhting with being a successful musician (it for sure can be helpful though wink.gif)
To be able to make it in this business you unfortunately need much more than only skills on your instrument. You need a lot of willpower, you need good songs (!!!), you need a good record company or contacts, you need good tours, you need good marketing, you need luck... you need soo much more than only skills...

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jan 29 2010, 07:19 PM
GMC:er
Well when it comes to most things I guess I generally don't automatically trust anything that is famous or popular. I think super hands from peep show said it best;

"You can't trust people - people like listening to coldplay and voting for the nazi party."

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jan 30 2010, 09:06 PM
Marketing rules the world. That's why, most of the times, a lot of great players aren't well-known.It will be a lot more sellable a band that has catchy melodies and simple patterns than a guy that wants to give his music a role and do lot of more complex things. Although there's a few exceptions, this, I think, is a applyable for most of the examples.

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Jan 31 2010, 01:35 AM
Instructor
Well to be honest, I do have respect to Vai's work, but musically I personally admire Michael Lee Firkins more. Actually he has influenced on my playing a great deal. It is too sad he hasn't got that famous. But, I consider a great success that he got 'heard' way across the ocean and in Serbia (I know about Firkins from my luthier) wink.gif Off-course it is all about marketing, it is about aiming for the right target group, and going for the music that people want to hear. One of the best example is in my country. Here we have really good musicians that have to work club gigs, playing songs that are popular, and that by quality can hardly qualify as music, what you will witness yourself by watching at the vid I have posted laugh.gif Please, don't laugh, it is not funny, it is sad. A lot of my friends that are great musicians, are forced to play 'music' like this, so that they can get by.

This post has been edited by Aleksander Sukovic: Jan 31 2010, 01:37 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 1 2010, 10:22 PM
Instructor
that's one hilarious video Aleksander...but this guy does a great job too: (lyrics are deep)

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 2 2010, 03:56 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Aleksander Sukovic @ Jan 31 2010, 01:35 AM) *
Well to be honest, I do have respect to Vai's work, but musically I personally admire Michael Lee Firkins more. Actually he has influenced on my playing a great deal. It is too sad he hasn't got that famous. But, I consider a great success that he got 'heard' way across the ocean and in Serbia (I know about Firkins from my luthier) wink.gif Off-course it is all about marketing, it is about aiming for the right target group, and going for the music that people want to hear. One of the best example is in my country. Here we have really good musicians that have to work club gigs, playing songs that are popular, and that by quality can hardly qualify as music, what you will witness yourself by watching at the vid I have posted laugh.gif Please, don't laugh, it is not funny, it is sad. A lot of my friends that are great musicians, are forced to play 'music' like this, so that they can get by.

Was that video serious...... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif huh.gif

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Feb 2 2010, 06:23 AM
QUOTE (Aleksander Sukovic @ Jan 31 2010, 01:35 AM) *

Don't worry. Unfortunatly, it happens everywhere.

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Feb 4 2010, 02:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Feb 2 2010, 12:22 AM) *
that's one hilarious video Aleksander...but this guy does a great job too: (lyrics are deep)

Man, that's terrible laugh.gif

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 2 2010, 05:56 AM) *
Was that video serious...... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif huh.gif

Yup, it was, pretty much laugh.gif There are way worse examples out there, trust me biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Santiago Diaz Garces @ Feb 2 2010, 08:23 AM) *
Don't worry. Unfortunatly, it happens everywhere.

That is very comforting laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 4 2010, 05:43 AM
Instructor
you can expect that music blasted out loud in small towns here in Colombia tongue.gif you get used to it

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 4 2010, 10:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
Its criminal how underrated a lot of players are in the guitar world, years and years of dedication mean squat to the rabid music companies who have no love for the art, only the green.
Its got to the stage now where I cant even listen to the mainstream radio channels anymore, where i cant stomach to even look at a newspaper for fear of some gormless half wit from cowells crap factor getting all teary eyed and hugging his mum because hes good at karaoke, it all makes me physically sick to be honest.
The tide is turning though, the RATM christmas single shows that at least some people have had enough of this garbage and will make ther voices heard through all the rhetoric.
On the subject of guitarists making it big, well, forget it! The quality of the playing is such a small part of the appeal of music to the vast majority that it is just oversampled, overdubbed and overlooked in popular music. Even the biggest rock acts of all time Zep, ACDC, metallica, relied on gigs, tours and album sales to get themselves to where they are, they certainly got no help from any of the powerful media outlets, TV, radio and newspapers.
At the end of the day if everyone was in it for the money the guitar wouldnt exist anymore so I'm happy to play to small crowds who just want to hear rock n roll, the world of the music industry can kiss my big white ass.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 4 2010, 01:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (sted @ Feb 4 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Its criminal how underrated a lot of players are in the guitar world, years and years of dedication mean squat to the rabid music companies who have no love for the art, only the green.
Its got to the stage now where I cant even listen to the mainstream radio channels anymore, where i cant stomach to even look at a newspaper for fear of some gormless half wit from cowells crap factor getting all teary eyed and hugging his mum because hes good at karaoke, it all makes me physically sick to be honest.
The tide is turning though, the RATM christmas single shows that at least some people have had enough of this garbage and will make ther voices heard through all the rhetoric.
On the subject of guitarists making it big, well, forget it! The quality of the playing is such a small part of the appeal of music to the vast majority that it is just oversampled, overdubbed and overlooked in popular music. Even the biggest rock acts of all time Zep, ACDC, metallica, relied on gigs, tours and album sales to get themselves to where they are, they certainly got no help from any of the powerful media outlets, TV, radio and newspapers.
At the end of the day if everyone was in it for the money the guitar wouldnt exist anymore so I'm happy to play to small crowds who just want to hear rock n roll, the world of the music industry can kiss my big white ass.

Feel better now Sted??? laugh.gif laugh.gif I totally agree with you...... smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:18 AM