2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Raking -- Mute With Palm Or With Finger?
uncguy4321
Jul 10 2013, 10:34 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

Just curious -- i am trying to master this, as I think it's an awesome sound with a solo...are you guys raking (purely percussive, no note) by palming all but the noted string? Or, are you using, say, your index finger to mute all but the played string and then maybe using your middle finger to hold down the played string?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 10 2013, 10:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 10 2013, 09:34 AM) *
Hi guys,

Just curious -- i am trying to master this, as I think it's an awesome sound with a solo...are you guys raking (purely percussive, no note) by palming all but the noted string? Or, are you using, say, your index finger to mute all but the played string and then maybe using your middle finger to hold down the played string?

I think it's a matter of situation - things we play. We can use both if it's comfortable at the moment. Can You post any video of particular situation You mean?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 10 2013, 10:56 PM
For instance, like Sambora in his solo stuff in this song...

bed of roses live, Bon Jovi

Oh, and to clarify...i mean his raking right before the first note of a solo phrase

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 10 2013, 11:48 PM
Ben talks a bit about raking in this lesson, give it a go: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rockin-The-Blues/

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 11 2013, 02:15 AM
thank you!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 11 2013, 02:42 AM
Learning Roadie
I use it before a bend sometimes, so I use my picking hand. I learned it from Trond Vold.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/solo-from-spindles/

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jul 11 2013, 04:28 AM
I use a combination of both.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 11 2013, 05:08 AM
Fireball! your three year evolution video really is an inspiration.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2013, 07:28 AM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif If you wish I can make a video for ya, I will show things slow, deal?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 11 2013, 08:12 AM
Instructor
Ok...so now I can tell I use my palm and the 1st finger of the left hand. This gives more clean, percussive sound even on a higher distortion smile.gif

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 11 2013, 08:24 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 11 2013, 07:12 AM) *
Ok...so now I can tell I use my palm and the 1st finger of the left hand. This gives more clean, percussive sound even on a higher distortion smile.gif

So you use both at same time? Ive tried using my palm exclusively...just seems like theres always a chance that the next to last string might ring out accidentally.

The index finger method works, but forces me to use middle finger.

Not a huge deal, just was curious what you guys did.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 11 2013, 06:28 AM) *
Hey man smile.gif If you wish I can make a video for ya, I will show things slow, deal?

Cosmin, thanks a ton for offering...but i think ive got the idea..been kinda working on it, and the videos already here seem to show me the usual method.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 11 2013, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Yes mate smile.gif I do use other fingers instead of first if it's necessary...all for the tone! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 12 2013, 07:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 11 2013, 07:24 AM) *
Cosmin, thanks a ton for offering...but i think ive got the idea..been kinda working on it, and the videos already here seem to show me the usual method.

Alright man, no biggie, just let me know when you need my help wink.gif

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 12 2013, 07:42 PM
I will for sure...this is an amazing resource. Glad I found the site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 01:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 12 2013, 03:42 PM) *
I will for sure...this is an amazing resource. Glad I found the site

Nice to know this. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 13 2013, 03:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 10 2013, 10:08 PM) *
Fireball! your three year evolution video really is an inspiration.

Hey Thanks! Lots of people have said the same.

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 17 2013, 12:18 AM
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...String-Bending/

bear Rose uses a lot of raking in this lesson, though it's mainly about bending. He looks to use exclusively palm-muting as his raking technique.

I guess Ill have to just develop the touch. As a beginner, I find that sometimes I either palm mute ALL the strings (including my intended playing string) or I dont mute enough and I accidentally play the string above it.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 17 2013, 07:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
When raking, I tend to play the final note with my middle finger, and have my index finger placed behind it lightly touching the strings. That's just me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 17 2013, 09:53 AM
Instructor
I think Darius explained things super nice in here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=651040

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 17 2013, 11:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
I use only my palm. I never thought to use both at the same time. Hmm....maybe I didn't thought because I never used higher distortion biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:54 AM