Chord Vocabulary
sted
Jun 11 2010, 03:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hry Pedja,

I picked up on a piece of advice you gave to Jesse where you stated he should improve his chord vocabulary and I was wondering about the best way to approach this, would it be to just run through chord scales until they become second nature? Or maybe learning all the triads and their inversions? Or even just learning songs with unusual chord voicings and key modulations etc? Ive tried the CAGED method and while I think it has a lot of good points I cant help but think that there are better methods out there!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 11 2010, 04:34 PM
Instructor
Hey Sted,
Glad you are following things around the forum smile.gif I think you brought some pretty interesting points here. My advice is to learn the voicings individually , isolate them, practice them with metronome and/or drum beat, then start applying them in different keys all across the guitar neck.

I have recorded so far following lessons that should all be of great help when it comes to chord vocabulary :

- Triads in major scale
This series contains 4 lessons from which 3 focus on all possible inversions of triads in C major scale across the guitar neck. 4th lesson is basically application, where I took C major/A natural minor/ F Lydian and applied those chord voicings in melodic way. So you basically take those 4 lessons, learn key of C major with closed triads but you also start to think creatively and do your own thing with this material. Ideally you want to take this trough 11 more major keys (that means 44 more lessons I would record wink.gif

- Open triads in G major scale
This series also contains 4 lessons but this time we are focusing on G major scale (so new key, to make things fresh and interesting!) but we are also focusing on open triad vs closed triad sound. 4th lesson is again application, little etude/piece that demonstrates melodic way of approaching this material!

- 4 Part Harmony Drop 2 Voicings
Here we have 4 lessons in this series but we are moving onto 4 part harmony now! This is recommended if you want to expand your chord vocabulary from closed and open triads to 4 note chords. There is no lesson that shows practical application of this but I could make one if you guys require it smile.gif

- 4 Part Harmony Drop 3 Voicings
Here again we have 4 lessons except I only recorded 2 out of 4. By the end of June I will record and publish remaining 2 lessons so this series will be completed.

As you see this is 16 lessons I created that are entirely dedicated to chord vocabulary, theory and harmony and chord voicings all over guitar neck. This method is universal and something that is much better than just focusing on CAGED system or any other method you did so far. I go in detail where in every lesson I cover every possible string set how to play given chord in all octaves! This should be very useful for all members of GMC. There is more that I have planed but for time being this should be gold mine for you guys that are looking to expand your chord voicings and learn some harmony and theory as well as your way around the guitar neck.

Let me know if you got any questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:48 AM