4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Smoke On The Water Collaboration, Including Video and GMC advert
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2008, 05:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi there super-amazing GMC instructors smile.gif

As I have hinted, the next collaboration we do is intended to be a complete song including a wicked video, vocals bass and even perhaps an organ solo if I can get my fingers moving fast enough smile.gif

As you can see from the title, we are doing a cover version of the old classic Smoke on the Water!

Why this piece? A couple of reasons - although its a riff that has been played to death in the guitar shops of the world, if you listen to it with fresh ears, it is extraordinarily powerful for all of its simplicity. Things have moved on a long way in terms of production and playing since it was recorded, and I know that at GMC we have the talents to create an awesome version of this.

But this is more than a collaboration - we want this to be an advert for GMC too, a showcase for the vast talents that you all have to excite people about joining. So, a kid who just picked up a guitar for the first time googles smoke on the water and finds this amazing video full of incredible players - he then finds out that he can learn to play like this and that he can interact with all these amazing people at GMC!

We will be adding some features and storyline to the video to show this from the perspective of the student as well - I have a few ideas for that I am working on smile.gif

Now, I realize that people either love or hate this song, so I won't hold anyone to any promises they made in the previous thread before they knew the name of the song!

A quick note on copyrights here - this is a full cover version of a song which we usually avoid. Fortunately, Maria checked with the Swedish copyright people and they said that GMC is so awesome that of course we can do a version of it! It has to be our own arrangement and we can't change words or tune, nor can we tab it as we don't have the rights for that, but we are ok apart from that!

Before we start to sign people up I want you to be aware of a couple of things:

- I intend to run this as a more formal collab than previous ones, I want to get the best possible result so we may have to build the track in stages, for instance recording main vocals before backing vocals etc, we may even need to re-record things if they don't fit together - and of course we may have new ideas as we develop this and need to change things around a little - the overall aim is to make this as professional as possible!

- I want to work with WAV files not MP3 - I may set up an ftp server to help with this

- As far as possible I want people to record without effects, especially for the vocals. I'm 50/50 on the lead guitar as so much of the feel comes from the effect in use, but a great solo sound is not always easy to mix, so I will rely on your experience here to do what is best. If possible a dry take and an effected take would give me the best of both worlds!

- To get the best possible video, I really want a lot of footage to choose from, so I would like you all to be prepared to send me video of all of your parts from 2 or even 3 different angles to keep the vid interesting, and footage of you playing along throughout even if you aren't doing anything specific. We'll talk about the vid later though, when we have the track done, so no need to rush into that, you just need to be prepared smile.gif

- Although I have some initial ideas, this is of course a collaboration so I want as much input from the rest of you as I can get!

So, I want to get this arranged in private then we can launch it to the rest of GMC when we have some ideas of how it will all fit together. I have been working on a backing track, and it will continue to evolve throughout this process, but here it is so far - pardon the sloppy playing, I want to get the true professionals to re-record this!

The overall idea is to sing the 3 verses, maybe add in a few guitar solos in between, and then go wild at the end and shred it to the max! It is in G minor, or minor pentatonic at the beginning, but I think we will modulate to A dorian in the keyboard solo at some point although I am still working this out, and will be happy to take any suggestions!

So, we need volounteers! We need:

- Vocalists - depending on how many we get we can split them across the verses (Muris already volounteered)
- Backing Vocalists
- Bass (Bogdan volounteered for this already!)
- Rhythm Guitar
- Lead Guitar

We will try and fit as many solos in as we can, but I don't want the song to be too over the top - lets see how it goes smile.gif

So who's up for it?????????

--

Signed up:

Vocals

Kris
Muris
Luciana
Maria
David
Jerry

Bass

Bogdan

Rhythm Guitar

Marcus S
Lian
Daniel

Lead Guitar

Trond
Ivan
David
Jerry
Andrew
Gabriel
Marcus L
Hisham
Henry

Organ

Gerardo
Andrew
Nemanja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Smoke.mp3 ( 7.18MB ) Number of downloads: 321

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 26 2008, 05:52 PM
Instructor
ohmy.gif I'm in! smile.gif What a great idea for a collab!
Sign me up for a solo please biggrin.gif

Nice job on the backing track btw smile.gif I thought the rhythm guitar sounded good as it is. Tight and clear sounding.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 26 2008, 07:15 PM
GMC Founder
Ahh this is going to be soo cool! I would love to do vocals for this one! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2008, 07:28 PM
Ok, Kris and Trond are in!

BTW, if we need to change the key to accomodate vocalists I am sure we can manage that smile.gif

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 26 2008, 12:52 PM) *
Nice job on the backing track btw smile.gif I thought the rhythm guitar sounded good as it is. Tight and clear sounding.

Thanks Trond, but I am sure others can do better!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 26 2008, 08:46 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Cool idea. I guess there will be many guys going for the lead guitars so I would be in for rhythm guitar.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 26 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Vocal,thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Maria
Jul 26 2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator
I would love to record some vocals wherever you think they would be suitable. smile.gif Great idea Andrew!

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Jul 26 2008, 10:19 PM
Singing Instructor
I'm IN!!!!.................wow! this is a great Collab! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 26 2008, 10:37 PM
Excellent ladies - I was hoping you would both stop by smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 26 2008, 11:04 PM
Instructor
Are we gonna pick parts individually
or you're gonna do that Andrew? smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jul 26 2008, 11:15 PM
Instructor
I'm in for some vocals biggrin.gif no matter if they are backing or lead.
Same for guitar... I wanna to play some solo but I don't wanna see Marcus S alone laugh.gif
Andrew, if you want you can put me where is necessary smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 26 2008, 11:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow this will be so awesome !! smile.gif Always wanted to learn this song for real smile.gif ehheheheheh
I can already imagine the cool video for it smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 26 2008, 11:43 PM
Instructor
I´m in, I got a roland Gr-20 so I can do organ stuff, I think I should be able to send the wav and the midi file so Andrew can change the patch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 27 2008, 01:45 AM
Instructor
This sounds awesome to me, great choice for a song. Can I participate? Maybe a lead guitar part? unsure.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 27 2008, 01:53 AM
Instructor
I'm in!
Could I take a vocal part and a lead please?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 27 2008, 11:05 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Haha, I am amazed to see so many entries for vocals smile.gif This will be fun

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 27 2008, 06:04 PM
Of course you are all in, thanks for signing up guys!

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 26 2008, 06:04 PM) *
Are we gonna pick parts individually
or you're gonna do that Andrew? smile.gif

I'm a control freak - I'll figure out who we put where, though there will be plenty of choice for the guitar solos if you have a preference though let me know!

@ Gerado - will be cool to have you on organ - wav + midi will work great as I have a really cool Hammond B3 plugin I am using, I want to show that we aren't all just guitar obsessed (although of course we are!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 28 2008, 01:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 27 2008, 02:04 PM) *
Of course you are all in, thanks for signing up guys!

I'm a control freak - I'll figure out who we put where, though there will be plenty of choice for the guitar solos if you have a preference though let me know!

@ Gerado - will be cool to have you on organ - wav + midi will work great as I have a really cool Hammond B3 plugin I am using, I want to show that we aren't all just guitar obsessed (although of course we are!)

Thanks, personally I prefer that you guys chose the arrangement and then ask for some organs or another midi stuff where you find it suitable, It would be help full that some text is explaining what kind of expresion or sound we are lookin on, Ive just use this stuff to manage some vsti for when recording for other people and I could really get lost here, thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jul 28 2008, 08:11 AM
Instructor
Hey Andrew i definately want in.

My question is how over the top you want the arrangement to be, i have been messing around with your prelim track and i have some rhythmic ideas. Nothing really crazy just oranamentation type rhythm that follows the main theme.

I think between Marcus, Jerry, and myself we could pin the rhythm guitars down thru the whole track. Of course thats your call.

If you want to hear some of the ideas i have let me know.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:49 PM