2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Many Years Were You Playing Before "the Internet", (i.e. no free tabs, no youtube, etc)
Learning to Play Guitar in Hard Mode
How many years were you playing your instrument before you could use the internet to further your musical ability?
Zero years [ 33 ] ** [54.10%]
One or two years [ 8 ] ** [13.11%]
A few years, maybe five? [ 5 ] ** [8.20%]
Five to seven years [ 2 ] ** [3.28%]
Perhaps eight to ten years [ 1 ] ** [1.64%]
Ten to fifteen years [ 5 ] ** [8.20%]
Fifteen to twenty years [ 5 ] ** [8.20%]
Twenty to twenty five years [ 1 ] ** [1.64%]
Twenty five to thirty years [ 1 ] ** [1.64%]
Thirty to thirty five years [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Thirty five years or more [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 61
Guests cannot vote 
jafomatic
Jun 24 2009, 09:54 PM
GMC:er
I've become interested to see the difference in learning curves between those of us that didn't have access to tabs & video over the internet when we learned how to play. I don't really think this is enough data for any real analysis but it will be interesting to see.

I'm particularly interested in the results around the middle of the curve (not necessarily the middle of the questions) for folks directly on either side of that ten year range perhaps.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 24 2009, 10:12 PM
Instructor
I voted few years maybe five !

I remember learning Satriani tunes in the beginning by online tabs at some point but cant recall when exactly smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 24 2009, 10:26 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I didnt have the internet till around the late 90`s, I started playing around 1985, so somewhere between 10 and 15 years I guess.

I didnt use the internet though as a resource for the guitar till maybe 5 or so years ago.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 24 2009, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jun 24 2009, 04:26 PM) *
I didnt have the internet till around the late 90`s, I started playing around 1985, so somewhere between 10 and 15 years I guess.

I didnt use the internet though as a resource for the guitar till maybe 5 or so years ago.

I had a similar experience. I was connected to the internet from 1993 on (and it was part of the reason I stopped playing guitar) but it wasn't until 2002 that I finally chose to look for tabs for a song online. And even then, did I look for tabs for "that solo I always wanted to learn" or something huge? No, it was just plain chords for a tv show theme song.

It wasn't until early this year that I went looking for (and found) tabs online and chose to finally learn a full song including huge solo parts.

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 24 2009, 10:35 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
yup, I started looking for the odd tab etc , I have to say though, it wasnt really until I joined up here to GMC that I really found the true potential of an online resource to really advance my playing smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 24 2009, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jun 24 2009, 04:35 PM) *
yup, I started looking for the odd tab etc , I have to say though, it wasnt really until I joined up here to GMC that I really found the true potential of an online resource to really advance my playing smile.gif

Yeah. I only learned maybe 2 songs from tabs elsewhere before finding GMC. I really wish I had expanded my now empty repertoire over the years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 25 2009, 01:18 AM
Instructor
Voted few years maybe five, I think five if you don't count occasional dial up tab lookups biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kahall
Jun 25 2009, 03:00 AM
Learning Roadie
I would have never started playing if it were not for the net. Too much trouble and expense before. But, I'm just lazy that way.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Jun 25 2009, 03:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 25 2009, 01:18 AM) *
Voted few years maybe five, I think five if you don't count occasional dial up tab lookups biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif +1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jun 25 2009, 04:37 AM
Instructor
about 10 years

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jun 25 2009, 04:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would say that sites like GMC and ESPECIALLY youtube is what has made it possible for these kids to be playing so well after just a few short years. No way you could do that when I started playing in 1988. You had tab books sure.....but to be able to actually SEE somebody playing stuff etc., makes a huge difference. I remember seeing a tab that was a sweeped arpeggio and thinking I was playing it OK.....even read the description in the article etc,. but I was still playing it wrong. Now you can get on youtube and do a search on sweeped arpeggios and find a billion vids of somebody explaining and demonstrating how to sweep. So now you can fix a problem......or never even develop one in the first place......in a matter of minutes. I'll bet it was 2 or 3 years before I figured out my sweeping technique was all wrong.

Another thing that REALLY hindered my progress was KURT COBAIN!!!!! There was about a 10-12 year period where virtuosity on guitar was frowned upon. You couldn't find an article on tapping, sweeping, AP or any kind of lead technique to save your life. I'll NEVER forgive Nirvana for that!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif laugh.gif

Dave Grohl better hope I never run into him up here in the Pacific Northwest...... tongue.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 25 2009, 12:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jun 25 2009, 05:37 AM) *
about 10 years

Same here. smile.gif

Nice pool and topic btw, very interesting!!

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 25 2009, 05:42 AM) *
Dave Grohl better hope I never run into him up here in the Pacific Northwest...... tongue.gif laugh.gif

Another side of Monte. laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 25 2009, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jun 24 2009, 10:42 PM) *
Another thing that REALLY hindered my progress was KURT COBAIN!!!!! There was about a 10-12 year period where virtuosity on guitar was frowned upon. You couldn't find an article on tapping, sweeping, AP or any kind of lead technique to save your life. I'll NEVER forgive Nirvana for that!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif laugh.gif

I don't really blame nirvana alone for that, but it was pretty frustrating that the guitar solo went away from mainstream music. Our instrument still shines brightly in other venues, but the focus is definitely not what it once was.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 25 2009, 03:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
I started right away on the internet, I think. "How to play a D major chord"... Hahaha.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Canis
Jun 25 2009, 03:48 PM
Learning Rock Star
Interesting.. I never think about how easy it is for me when I just google some tabs or chords and get everything I need. It had to be a lot harder for our older members, yet more rewarding (in some cases) if they learned a lot by ear?

I played a total of three days before hitting the internet tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 25 2009, 03:51 PM
I voted 25 years +. I first picked a guitar up in 1979/80 (I was mainly playing Bass then), didn't take it very seriously and then got an electric in 84. I used to buy Guitarist mag (with NO CD included!!! ohmy.gif ) where they'd print transcriptions and unless you knew the song you never knew whether you were playing it right anyway!!!! laugh.gif

I suppose I've been using t'Intrawebs for about 4-5 years now!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 30 2009, 12:22 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I voted few years maybe five...I don't count much dial up connection for assistance...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 30 2009, 02:12 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I voted a few years maybe five, Only in the past year and a half has the internet really come into play with furthering my guitar abilities.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jun 30 2009, 04:48 AM
I was playing without internet for about 12 years. The only source to get a guidance of the songs were some songbooks whose had only the chords and sometimes, the riffs of the songs. It was pretty cheap. Jajaja

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 30 2009, 08:57 AM
Started playing around 93 I think, so a fair few years before interweb. I learned from a teacher, though it didn't involve anything technique/scales, just playing open chords and simple melodies, learning things like the shadows and such. I was only like 7 or 8 when I started playing electric so I don't really remember much of it but I know that I was playing a long time and progressed very slowly. Since the interweb, and since I became more serious with it, improvement has been coming much more quickly because now I actually know what I want to play and how to go about learning to play it. Teachers aren't always the best way to learn, because you're limited to the skill set of that teacher. I still think they're useful, but the internet features millions of guitarists, so there's always a video by someone who's a legend at whatever technique you feel like learning.

-Adam

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:47 AM