3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Mith's First Custom, And my first build
Mith
Nov 7 2014, 12:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here is a real quick sample I did the other day, been so flat out of late hence why I havn't been on the forum much. The neck is based of the ESP thickness, so a tad thinker than your Ibanez but still pretty thin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  New_Guitar_Sound_Sample.mp3 ( 1.53MB ) Number of downloads: 72

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2014, 01:22 AM
GMC:er
Very spiff!! Have you considered putting out a shingle as it were and taking orders for guitars?

QUOTE (Mith @ Nov 6 2014, 07:31 PM) *
Here is a real quick sample I did the other day, been so flat out of late hence why I havn't been on the forum much. The neck is based of the ESP thickness, so a tad thinker than your Ibanez but still pretty thin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 7 2014, 07:24 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Looks and sounds damn fine dude. smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 7 2014, 07:53 AM
This was done in someone elses workshop. But yes I'm currently working on setting up my own workshop. I litrally bought the shed for it today. 6 meters x 6 meters. Been tossing around ideas for a range of guitars. I'm thinking of designing a slightly twisted versions of classic guitars. Got some pretty cool ideas. so if anyone has and guitar designs they think are amazing please share while I'm drafting up plans waiting for the workshop to be put up and filled out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2014, 10:18 AM
Instructor
Sounds great to me, mate!

It also sounds like you are DEAD serious about this whole thing! I salute your courage, initiative and hard work and I hope it will get you the satisfaction of having built things smile.gif I think that the ffeling of holding your work in your hands and hearing it sound in other people's hands, is a great satisfaction!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2014, 03:49 AM
Now that you mention it!!!! smile.gif I'm very interested in something VONHOTCH told me about which is building guitars without regular truss rods by using graphite rods or such. One custom builder uses Carbon Fiber for the entirebody and neck!!! He makes crazy thin and playable necks that don't warp. I'd really like to try that out. Here's one with a 16 MM neck!!!!! AND IT"S AN
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mith @ Nov 7 2014, 02:53 AM) *
This was done in someone elses workshop. But yes I'm currently working on setting up my own workshop. I litrally bought the shed for it today. 6 meters x 6 meters. Been tossing around ideas for a range of guitars. I'm thinking of designing a slightly twisted versions of classic guitars. Got some pretty cool ideas. so if anyone has and guitar designs they think are amazing please share while I'm drafting up plans waiting for the workshop to be put up and filled out.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 8 2014, 09:47 AM
Learning Roadie
I wish I had the abilities to do this, I can't even cut paper in a straight line with a pair of scissors.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 8 2014, 04:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 8 2014, 02:49 AM) *
Now that you mention it!!!! smile.gif I'm very interested in something VONHOTCH told me about which is building guitars without regular truss rods by using graphite rods or such. One custom builder uses Carbon Fiber for the entirebody and neck!!! He makes crazy thin and playable necks that don't warp. I'd really like to try that out. Here's one with a 16 MM neck!!!!! AND IT"S AN
Attached Image

Todd, what sort of a monster is that? biggrin.gif It looks like a very extreme guitar - 7 strings out of what I can count? My drummer always makes fun of us - 'You guitarists with all your strings... guess what - I have 22 strings on my snare drum' laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 9 2014, 07:55 AM
The biggest problem with no truss rod isn't so much the lack of strength its the lack of adjustment. What they did before to setup a guitar was use fret wire with different thickness of tangs to either create neck relief or to add a back bow and then string gauge was to fine tune it. I can see how a guitar like this can be made but it would have to be made to a tuning and a string brand without any way of that sort of adjustment. I think mine is just under 20mm thick from fretboard. Ibbi's are like 17-18 I think.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 8 2014, 10:49 AM) *
Attached Image

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 8 2014, 04:47 PM) *
I wish I had the abilities to do this, I can't even cut paper in a straight line with a pair of scissors.

Its really not as hard as it seems, just lots of planning, measuring and templates. The real art is making perfect templates and perfect jigs for certain jobs

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2014, 08:35 AM
It's from ETHERIAL GUITARS and they are pretty futuristic smile.gif They use carbon fiber to create very light, very strong, very resonant guitars without any actual wood. I really want one but I've NEVER seen one "in the wild" and probably never will. With these really small, one man shop vendors, you pretty much gotta fork over a few grand and wait a year or so and that's it.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 8 2014, 11:35 AM) *
Todd, what sort of a monster is that? biggrin.gif It looks like a very extreme guitar - 7 strings out of what I can count? My drummer always makes fun of us - 'You guitarists with all your strings... guess what - I have 22 strings on my snare drum' laugh.gif

VERY TRUE!! It would be limiting to a degree for sure. I wouldn't mind though on a 7 string as I use standard tuning on my 7 string guitars.

The original ibby neck was 17mm at the nut and were prone to warp under heavy strings. I use 9 gauge or thinner with my rg560 ibby as it's an original wizard and those are getting harder and harder to find.

If you could manage to get a neck design that runs 17 or 18 at the nut and around 20 at the base, you'd have a boatload of shredders (me included) asking you for pricing on your guitar designs smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Nov 9 2014, 02:55 AM) *
The biggest problem with no truss rod isn't so much the lack of strength its the lack of adjustment. What they did before to setup a guitar was use fret wire with different thickness of tangs to either create neck relief or to add a back bow and then string gauge was to fine tune it. I can see how a guitar like this can be made but it would have to be made to a tuning and a string brand without any way of that sort of adjustment. I think mine is just under 20mm thick from fretboard. Ibbi's are like 17-18 I think.

Its really not as hard as it seems, just lots of planning, measuring and templates. The real art is making perfect templates and perfect jigs for certain jobs

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 9 2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor
They seem futuristic indeed - never actually held a carbon fiber guitar in my hands - what are the differences between carbon fiber and wood, in terms of resonance, weight, or other notable things?

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 9 2014, 10:44 AM
I'd imagine it would be alot like those parker flys. If you look on you tube the construction process is on there. Pretty intresting

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 9 2014, 04:25 PM) *
They seem futuristic indeed - never actually held a carbon fiber guitar in my hands - what are the differences between carbon fiber and wood, in terms of resonance, weight, or other notable things?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 9 2014, 04:55 PM
Never seen one in the wild per previous post, but I imagine it would be light smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 9 2014, 04:25 AM) *

Good point! I think the parkers process is very interesting as well. They bake their guitars in something that looks like a pizza oven! Here is a vid.

QUOTE (Mith @ Nov 9 2014, 05:44 AM) *
I'd imagine it would be alot like those parker flys. If you look on you tube the construction process is on there. Pretty intresting

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 10 2014, 08:32 AM
Instructor
Hmmm - I watched the video and I must say it was very interesting - but still, out of what I understood, the composite material is still wood related wink.gif

I will look for more info on the carbon fiber bodies, just out of curiosity - see, I was having these thoughts about how the wood as a natural resource is slowly going away and the rate in which we plant some species is way slower than the rate in which we need to cut down and use the matured ones. Who knows what will await in the future - what if we'll run out of wood for guitars at one point?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 12 2014, 06:31 PM
I hadn't thought about that but your right smile.gif We use a lot of dead trees for guitars and if carbon fiber sounds good, why not use it instead? It's lighter and easier on the back for certain smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 10 2014, 03:32 AM) *
Hmmm - I watched the video and I must say it was very interesting - but still, out of what I understood, the composite material is still wood related wink.gif

I will look for more info on the carbon fiber bodies, just out of curiosity - see, I was having these thoughts about how the wood as a natural resource is slowly going away and the rate in which we plant some species is way slower than the rate in which we need to cut down and use the matured ones. Who knows what will await in the future - what if we'll run out of wood for guitars at one point?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 13 2014, 08:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 12 2014, 05:31 PM) *
I hadn't thought about that but your right smile.gif We use a lot of dead trees for guitars and if carbon fiber sounds good, why not use it instead? It's lighter and easier on the back for certain smile.gif

I had this talk a while ago, with klasaine - Ken, I mean and he pointed this very important aspect - in the past years, wood wasn't an issue, but as time and deforesting goes by, wood as a natural resource is becoming more and more scarce... I think this is one of the main reasons why producers such as Gibson, have raised the prices and hollowed the bodies of the guitars smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 20 2014, 03:06 AM
Well guitars are pretty good with wood really, Using multi-laminate necks is stronger and requires less large single peices of wood (and looks sweet as if you ask me).

Aparently Perspex also sounds great as a guitar but weighs a ton.

Anyway been way busy making templates of guitars of late. Its all slowly coming along

Hardest thing is thinking of what to build next.

Thinking my verson of a black machine

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 20 2014, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Mate, it looks like you are hitting a bigger number here - might be you are already thinking on selling these? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Nov 20 2014, 03:37 PM
yeah they will be getting sold eventually. Much fun. Once I get everything setup which might still take a while still I'll be making a few more personal/ display ones but yeah. I wanna be able to make guitars for people

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 21 2014, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Haha! So, you are pretty muchthe first luthier that ever rose from GMC? Am I right? biggrin.gif

Tell me man, how will you dub your guitars?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:00 AM