A Tale Of Two Tuners, Korg CA-30 vs Boss TU-2
Scott Gentzen
Jan 12 2008, 05:37 PM
GMC:er
I still consider myself a new player. I've been playing a bit over a year (I think my anniversary at GMC is next week) but I haven't been practicing as much as I could have been so I'm not as good as I could be for a 1-year player.

I'm working on that. But this isn't a story about that..

When I first got a guitar, I needed a tuner. I looked around, read a lot and found the Korg CA-30. It got good reviews and it was cheap ($20US, I think). I found my tuner. biggrin.gif

Used it for a year and was relatively happy. The tuning was pretty good. The only problem I had was that it wobbled...it never really locked in on the note when I got there so I wasn't ever really sure things were tuned up right. At first I was thinking it was something janky with my guitar, but now I own three guitars and it did that with all of them.

It came up missing over the holidays. I put it somewhere and it was gone. My guitars hold their tuning pretty well, but I get nervous when I can't check.

This time, I decided to bite the bullet and spend the cash on a Boss TU-2...your standard white stompbox tuner that it seems like everyone out there uses. It retails for $99US but I picked one up used and in good condition at guitarCenter for $50.

Big difference. It's faster and it locks in. If I'm in tune or out of tune, I don't have to guess...it tells me where I am and doesn't wobble. I should have gotten one of these in the beginning.

The only complaint I have is that I have to recable things. It doesn't have a microphone so I have to be plugged into it. I go straight into my amp, so now I either need to recable to run through the tuner all the time or swap cables when I want to tune.

I also picked up a Korg MA-30 metronome while I was out. I hope that next year, I'm not writing a similar posting like this about it next year.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 12 2008, 05:43 PM
Instructor
Spot on,TU-2 is mainly for ON-Stage use during gig. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 12 2008, 05:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Either way I think the TU-2 or similar pedal tuner or a rack gear or just anything you can keep plugged in all the time has that working for it. Live and rehearsal fo rme it's impossible to tune (esp drummers can't be quiet) wink.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 12 2008, 07:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 12 2008, 05:53 PM) *
Either way I think the TU-2 or similar pedal tuner or a rack gear or just anything you can keep plugged in all the time has that working for it. Live and rehearsal fo rme it's impossible to tune (esp drummers can't be quiet) wink.gif

I missed rehearsals,thanks MickeM. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:24 AM