2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Flying V!, Im getting one!
Guitarman700
May 11 2007, 03:00 PM
GMC:er
In december ill have saved up enough to get this:Flying v
waddya think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 11 2007, 03:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ May 11 2007, 04:00 PM) *
In december ill have saved up enough to get this:Flying v
waddya think?

That's great!!! :-)

Flying V's are so cool.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Robin
May 11 2007, 04:31 PM
Its really weird sitting while playing with Flying V's, but sure they are cool smile.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 11 2007, 05:45 PM
Lets go fishing!
Nothing is more rock and roll than a flying V !!!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 11 2007, 06:15 PM
Instructor
Are you sure you want a Flying V? smile.gif You can only play it standing! It's SOOOOOOOOOOO uncomfortable for sitting! I had some experience with trying to practice sitting - no way can you play that sitting!! But if you really want it - good luck!!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 11 2007, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 11 2007, 12:15 PM) *
Are you sure you want a Flying V? smile.gif You can only play it standing! It's SOOOOOOOOOOO uncomfortable for sitting! I had some experience with trying to practice sitting - no way can you play that sitting!! But if you really want it - good luck!!

consider a Firebird instead, the V or the VII. Few people have them, but most say they would love to have one. Not the sustain of a Les Paul, but they have some really nice qualities. Slim neck (beautiful neck) and upper fret access. I of course prefer my Les Paul, but really like the Firebird. Would never want a flying V, I like to sit down, primarily on the couch. Ever looked at a PRS? Cost a bit more, but you can get a good deal if you know what you are doing. I don't want one, because I am satisfied with what I have, I know when to be satisfied with what I have. But if I did not have what I wanted, I would look at them. I am assuming you live in the States. American guitars are way too expensive in Europe, I probably would get something with more bang for my buck if I lived over there.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
May 11 2007, 08:00 PM
Actually i CAN play it sitting down(takes a bow for my mad skillz).
The guitar is black and its $465 with a free hardshell case.
(BTW thanks for all the advice, you guys are really helpful!)

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: May 11 2007, 08:01 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 11 2007, 08:14 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ May 11 2007, 02:00 PM) *
Actually i CAN play it sitting down(takes a bow for my mad skillz).
The guitar is black and its $465 with a free hardshell case.
(BTW thanks for all the advice, you guys are really helpful!)

not to be officious. but, have you tried so for a long period of time? if you are like a lot of people here, you might be in that seat all night when in the mood. you make the call, and honestly, nothing wrong if you like it, and the comfort level is acceptable to you. I know my Firebird is not the easiest to hold sitting down, neck is heavy, body a bit wierd. Does not stop me, or make me complain. Hell, if you have to stand on your head to play a guitar, if that is acceptable to you, and you like it, certainly fine I think.

edit: heck, my favorite guitar will probably always be my les paul. I have a 58 custom shop reissue. Baseball bat neck. I have slim necks with fret access such as the Firebird. But I still like the 58 best, harder to play or not. You can do all the things that other guys do on this site, just just have to work harder and get a bit stronger. And if you ever do go back to an easier playing guitar, man it is so much easier. Doing that stuff on a Les Paul is like working out in the weight room. Same reason I believe in playing with pretty heavy strings. You can always go to light strings, and will be strong. But if you play with light strings all the time, on an easy playing guitar, you will never be strong. You may be fast, but never strong. Your bending and vibrato will suffer.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 11 2007, 08:24 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
May 11 2007, 09:26 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 11 2007, 05:15 PM) *

You can sit, but you need to have the guitar far to the left then, it kinda sucks but it works ok tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
May 11 2007, 09:45 PM
Rock Instructor
this stuff really bumes me out.

you need your time to sit and concetrate

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
moles
May 11 2007, 11:24 PM
i've always wanted a V rolleyes.gif

but if i had one i would only use it if i had to gig.

cuz practice on it maybe a bit weird

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2007, 05:15 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
You may THINK a flying v is Uncomfortable sitting down, but after a short time with it, its not.

The most comfortable guitar ive ever played sitting down is My washburn Dime V, Nothing comes close.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
May 20 2007, 12:22 PM
how bout a jackson one? they are easier to play sat down, compared to this kind, the jackson one is kinda slimmer etc.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
May 20 2007, 12:43 PM
I was in my local shop and was eying an SG copy For $199 But i think ill hold off and get this. This shop has a steve vai signature for $1600 wich i would get IF i had the cash but not without a quick look at this guitar. its that good.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 20 2007, 04:01 PM
Jackson Rhoads V signature

This is much more comfortable sitting down for me, and it's a lower price. My friend has one and it sounds great to. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jun 3 2007, 10:57 PM
eww, get a jackson one! those ones are fugly, get a proper flying v, a jackson one biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
LoveJimboLove
Jun 4 2007, 09:48 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Jun 3 2007, 10:57 PM) *
eww, get a jackson one! those ones are fugly, get a proper flying v, a jackson one biggrin.gif

I owned a Gibson Flying V for a while, and one thing I can say. They are terrible to balance and practice with.

As you can see from my current equipment in the signature, I am well versed in strange and exciting guitar shapes and have owned many more over the years I have been playing. The Flying V is my least favorite.

However the Jackson Concorde V is my favorite guitar shape...ever. My RR1 is my baby and has been my main practice/gig guitar for just over 5 years and manages to hit the niche design and playability right on the head! (I feel that the BEST shape though is still the strat/superstrat, there is a reason the design has been around for so long...regardless if it looks boring). The Randy Rhoads series have the lower fin cut down meaning that they look awesome and when you practicing the V can hook onto your leg regardless of whether your sitting on a bed or stool.

With the sort of budget you have I couldn't recommend Jackson any more! Their lower end models are miles ahead of the competition in build quality, hardware and playability. Their high end models are elite!

--------------------
www.myspace.com/idkillyouformyself

Guitars:
Jackson RR1 Snow w/ black pin stripes
-Duncan

Jackson KE2 Emerald Green
-Duncan

Jackson Soloist SL1 Lightning sky
-Duncan

ESP M-II Urban Camo
-EMG

Amps:

Practice
Marshall MS4 and Marshall AVTX 275

Gig
Marshall AVTX 112 412xA and 412xB

Pedals:
Marshall Guv'nor 2 and JH-1

+Quote Post
spdalton
Jun 4 2007, 10:09 AM
Will definitely have to agree that the Rhoads V looks better than the standard flying V biggrin.gif.
Can't comment on the sitting down playability though, much to my dismay heh.

--------------------
IPB Image
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

http://www.myspace.com/cashnz

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 4 2007, 02:38 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think playing a Flying V Sitting down is VERY Comfortable, i get access to every part of the neck quickly and efficiently

+Quote Post
LoveJimboLove
Jun 4 2007, 03:16 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 4 2007, 02:38 PM) *
I think playing a Flying V Sitting down is VERY Comfortable, i get access to every part of the neck quickly and efficiently

Regardless of neck access, which is a no brainer due to the inherent cutaway of the design of all V's, the original Gibson Flying V design does not go well with sit down practicing.

Yes, you can pop a fin between your legs etc, but due to the size and symmetry of the fins in comparison to the Concorde V the guitar is angled in a way which means that the guitar sits at an unnatural angle in relation to the eventual stand up playing angle and skills that you will oh so need! I also feel that they are slightly unbalanced when standing...no where near as bad as the Gibson Thunderbird IV unbalance...and miles better than the crippled Epiphone Thunderbird IV balance.

Apart from your personal taste in looks, or the style of music you will be playing -

Get a Gibson Flying V design if you have a few years playing experience and are able to flip between standing and sitting with no effect on your playing.

Get a Concorde V design if you want to have the guitar at the same angle when you are sitting and standing.

(remember I am talking about the design...i'm not telling you to get a Gibson on your budget tongue.gif)

--------------------
www.myspace.com/idkillyouformyself

Guitars:
Jackson RR1 Snow w/ black pin stripes
-Duncan

Jackson KE2 Emerald Green
-Duncan

Jackson Soloist SL1 Lightning sky
-Duncan

ESP M-II Urban Camo
-EMG

Amps:

Practice
Marshall MS4 and Marshall AVTX 275

Gig
Marshall AVTX 112 412xA and 412xB

Pedals:
Marshall Guv'nor 2 and JH-1

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:40 AM