2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Book : The Guitar Amp Handbook
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 08:59 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Wiki link

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 17 2008, 02:00 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Aug 28 2007, 09:10 AM
Instructor
It really seems a very interesting book. I'd like to know more about tube amplifiers but I haven't got any any time... sad.gif So, if can explain the basic we will be very gratefull !!!

Good night !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 28 2007, 09:29 AM
Instructor
Thanks for sharing that Andrew.
I'm very interested in that kind of stuff.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 28 2007, 09:40 AM
GMC:er
Cool Andrew smile.gif
So what about how much it cost?

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 10:09 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 28 2007, 04:40 AM) *
Cool Andrew smile.gif
So what about how much it cost?

Good point - I'll add the price and a link smile.gif

QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Aug 28 2007, 04:10 AM) *
It really seems a very interesting book. I'd like to know more about tube amplifiers but I haven't got any any time... sad.gif So, if can explain the basic we will be very gratefull !!!

Good night !

Heh, I can't explain in less than a book smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 28 2007, 06:31 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Thankyou Andrew, ive actually got a new 5watt Swart amp on the way so something like that would help with general maintainence and care perhaps?

Is their anything on different valve choice etc?

Thanks for the review,

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 09:33 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Aug 28 2007, 01:31 PM) *
Thankyou Andrew, ive actually got a new 5watt Swart amp on the way so something like that would help with general maintainence and care perhaps?

Is their anything on different valve choice etc?

Thanks for the review,

-Ben

Hi Ben, yes, it explains how you can use different valves to voice the amp differently - in some cases they drop right in, in others you might need a tech to do a bias adjustment (actually you almost always need to do that when you change tubes). Also, don;t underestimate the effect of the speaker if you are looking to experiment with your tone.

That Swart looks sweet by the way ! You can usually swap between 6V6 and EL34 to change the voicing, and there is a lot of variation between tubes of different manufacturers too. Its cathode biased which means you shouldn't need to re-bias when swapping between tubes of the same spec, but if you threw an EL34 in there for instance you would need to re-bias as the tube specs would be different.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 28 2007, 09:35 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Thanks Andrew-Thats really helpful cool.gif

Ive heard about re-biasing, im moving away from the el34 (actually sold my fuchs lucky 7-too gritty) and going 6v6 9as you saw).
If i want to change from 6v6 to 6L6 with the Swart in the future, would i need to rebias?

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 28 2007, 10:02 PM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Aug 28 2007, 04:35 PM) *
Thanks Andrew-Thats really helpful cool.gif

Ive heard about re-biasing, im moving away from the el34 (actually sold my fuchs lucky 7-too gritty) and going 6v6 9as you saw).
If i want to change from 6v6 to 6L6 with the Swart in the future, would i need to rebias?

-Ben

Ok, take the following with a pinch of salt - I have been reading up on this stuff for a couple of weeks only smile.gif

Yes, they are drop in in pin for pin terms, but would need rebiasing for sure. There are also other considerations here - the 6L6 is a more powerful tube and that may have knock on effects in the rest of the amp. You could potentially need a different output transformer, although in this case they both work well at similar values.

Also, the 6L6 tends to prefer higher anode voltages to allow it to produce more power. Putting a 6L6 in an amp that is designed for a 6V6 will work fine but will reduce your clean headroom meaning the amp will start to break up at lower volumes, although it should go louder.

I would say that its definately worth exploring this, but find yourself a good amp guy and have him help you, or read a lot of books smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2007, 03:45 AM
Instructor
Very cool information there! Thank you very much Andrew! I'll get that book smile.gif

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 5 2007, 07:13 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Does it say much about running the bias at different voltages to that recommended and how that affects tone (to say nothing of tube life Andrew biggrin.gif )? Could be nice to experiment a bit with an amp where the bias can be set externally...

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 5 2007, 08:22 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 5 2007, 02:13 AM) *
Does it say much about running the bias at different voltages to that recommended and how that affects tone (to say nothing of tube life Andrew biggrin.gif )? Could be nice to experiment a bit with an amp where the bias can be set externally...

Cheers,
Tony

I am building just such an amp smile.gif

As I recall. it mentions it in general terms, but doesn't give you any sort of tutorial.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Slammer
Sep 7 2007, 08:30 AM
Hey, could I make a Book Review? on the Gear Review Forum?

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 7 2007, 08:32 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 5 2007, 01:22 AM) *
I am building just such an amp smile.gif

As I recall. it mentions it in general terms, but doesn't give you any sort of tutorial.

Thought so Andrew but didn't want to experiment with your new amp.

Now if anyone has an amp with external variable bias that we can mess with smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 7 2007, 08:33 AM
QUOTE (Slammer @ Sep 7 2007, 03:30 AM) *
Hey, could I make a Book Review? on the Gear Review Forum?

Sure, if its a book about Gear! If we get enough book reviews we can always add a new board (bringing the total of GMC boards up to a round 9000 laugh.gif )

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Sep 7 2007, 08:33 AM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 7 2007, 08:37 AM
So can I review the venta where I had lunch as I came home straight after and played guitar much better then before lunch when I was hungry? At least I could finally hear my guitar rather then my tummy rumbling tongue.gif . (Great meal highly recommend the place...)

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slammer
Sep 7 2007, 08:40 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 7 2007, 03:33 AM) *
Sure, if its a book about Gear! If we get enough book reviews we can always add a new board (bringing the total of GMC boards up to a round 9000 laugh.gif )

Oh yeah, laugh.gif laugh.gif

Forgot about the Gear part tongue.gif

It's actually a guitar book but it ain't gear so NVM laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 7 2007, 09:17 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 7 2007, 03:37 AM) *
So can I review the venta where I had lunch

Sure, as long as it sells guitar gear smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 7 2007, 09:19 AM
Well they did have a large Pata Negra/Iberico ham that looked just like an Ibanez Jem biggrin.gif.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 7 2007, 09:28 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 7 2007, 04:19 AM) *
Well they did have a large Pata Negra/Iberico ham that looked just like an Ibanez Jem biggrin.gif.

Cheers,
Tony

What, white with a hole in it? Doesn't sound very appetizing to me ....

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:09 AM