Request For Instrumentalcase, Interview with John Petrucci
FretDancer69
Nov 21 2007, 01:40 AM
GMC:er
Hello, this is a request for InstrumentalCase, which i know he does alot of awesome interviews with various guitarists and musicians. Id like to know if you could be able to get an interview with John Petrucci from Dream Theater.

I know probably some of you are thinking that this is sounds like impossible, but i dont know. He must be a very busy guy like Steve Vai, but theres probably a chance for an interview, Id like to see InstrumentalCase's point of view and opinion about this.

If you do manage to get the interview, can you please consider covering these topics and questions with him?

Berklee

- Did you received a scholarship or financial Aid? or did you just enrolled normally?
- How old were you when you got accepted at Berklee?
- What technical and theoretical aspects of music did you had covered at the moment of being accepted?
- Was a live audition a requirement? If so, can you describe the audition process and experience?
- How long you had been playing when you got accepted at Berklee? How much did you practiced during that time?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to earn a scholarship to Berklee but hasn't been playing for much time and that does not have a broad knowledge towards theory?

Thats all i can think for now. Please id like to know what you think about this. It might be a little rude from my part, since its very obvious that people like Petrucci are not found at the mall everyday. Either way, i wait for your response.

Thank you. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Nov 21 2007, 01:41 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gen
Nov 21 2007, 02:21 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 21 2007, 03:40 AM) *
Hello, this is a request for InstrumentalCase, which i know he does alot of awesome interviews with various guitarists and musicians. Id like to know if you could be able to get an interview with John Petrucci from Dream Theater.

I know probably some of you are thinking that this is sounds like impossible, but i dont know. He must be a very busy guy like Steve Vai, but theres probably a chance for an interview, Id like to see InstrumentalCase's point of view and opinion about this.

If you do manage to get the interview, can you please consider covering these topics and questions with him?

Berklee

- Did you received a scholarship or financial Aid? or did you just enrolled normally?
- How old were you when you got accepted at Berklee?
- What technical and theoretical aspects of music did you had covered at the moment of being accepted?
- Was a live audition a requirement? If so, can you describe the audition process and experience?
- How long you had been playing when you got accepted at Berklee? How much did you practiced during that time?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to earn a scholarship to Berklee but hasn't been playing for much time and that does not have a broad knowledge towards theory?

Thats all i can think for now. Please id like to know what you think about this. It might be a little rude from my part, since its very obvious that people like Petrucci are not found at the mall everyday. Either way, i wait for your response.

Thank you. smile.gif

Hi Fretdancer69
If you want an advice, try to check the last dvd dream theater released, called "SCORE", it has an awesome documentary bonus dvd, where john explains many stuff about berklee, they even went to visit the school to see how it changed, its pretty interesting, he talks about what he studied there... it may help you....or not.. sad.gif tongue.gif anyways, i think you can watch that documentary on youtube, or you can just buy it, like i did biggrin.gif , their live perfomance is just awesome!

Good luck for your path smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Fact is, nothing in the world bores me more than gear...If I played thru your rig, I would still sound like me. Van Halen would sound like Van Halen. Brian May...etc. Very early in my career I decided to focus on creating music and not being a guitar tech. Being a good guitar tech is a very different and extremely difficult job, so why not leave it to a pro?"

Marty Friedman -

Guitars: ESP LTD viper-500, a fake strat and an acoustic guitar( dont know the brand)
Amp: Randall RX20R
Effects: Boss mt 2 distortion pedal, Line 6 pod floor plus

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 21 2007, 04:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yeah Score has an awesome documentary on it, check it out smile.gif

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 21 2007, 05:12 AM
Thanks Gen, ill check that out without further hesitation. Thanks alot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Dec 12 2007, 06:37 AM
Sorry to keep you hanging - I've been off in Canada learning to build guitars.

wub.gif

But to answer your question...

Yes, I'm hoping to interview Petrucci sometime in '08. I was planning to do it this year, but I missed DT in Texas AND in the UK due to various trips I was on.

If there's another Satch/Gilbert/Petrucci G3 tour in '08 (I know that at least Satch / Gilbert are touring again) I'll probably interview him then. Beyond that, I'm guessing he'll release another solo album, so there's always opportunities then.

In the meantime, there are tons of good Petrucci interviews out there already. AllOutGuitar.com did a pretty nice one most recently.

If you're looking for info on Berklee and scholarship opportunities, you'd have better luck doing some online searches to see what it's like currently. Keep in mind, J.P. went there years ago (and never even graduated to my knowledge), so he probably doesn't know the in's and out's of the school's policies these days. There are always a lot of young guitarists attending Berklee, and you can speak to many of them directly by doing a simple search on Myspace or Facebook - I'm sure they'd be more than happy to talk about their experience there.

Getting a music scholarship can be tough. I know one guitarist who I seem to remember getting one there; Bob Zabek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j949jbkgOW4

... You could ask him about it.

On a related note, I recently did an interview with Berklee's metal professor, Joe Stump:

http://instrumentalcase.com/Stump.aspx

Anyway, always keep in mind that there are other (perhaps more affordable) music schools that can teach you just as much. Check out the Musicians Institute in Hollywood if you haven't. More amazing guitarists went there than anywhere else I know of. Private lessons always work too, and good theory book can go a long way (so can exploring GMC).

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: Dec 12 2007, 06:40 AM

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 12 2007, 08:55 PM
Instructor
woah, Bob Zabek is amazing!! I've gotta check out more of his videos! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Dec 12 2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks InstrumentalCase smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 3 2008, 06:48 PM
wow, that bob zabek dude is amazing ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:46 PM