Hi From Owchita, Introduction
owchita
Nov 21 2021, 08:05 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone, I joined the site last week.

I've been playing guitar since I was a teenager and got into metal, so 30 years now!

My tastes changed a bit, I play some acoustic early blues stuff, slide guitar, so big John Fahey fan. I also play a little bit of banjo and fiddle. Violin is a very humbling instrument sad.gif

On the electric side my favourite guitar player is Marc Ribot, particular his work with Tom Waits and his Cuban stuff. Also love Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, and Ross the Boss' playing on the early Manowar albums.

I record my own tunes for my own entertainment, solo acoustic, or little instrumental things somewhere between Marc Ribot, Dead Combo and Can.

I'd like to improve my timing and technique, and learn to apply scales a bit better.

Things I've noticed from looking at the Manowar and Iron Maiden lessons - I've never really played six notes to the beat before, or done much of that 3 note motif repeated over eighth notes so it shifts on each beat, if you know what I mean, like at start of Hey Joe! It's hurting my brain trying to count it, but I'm getting used to it and think it's something I need to do more of.

Hi everyone, it seems like a friendly community!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 21 2021, 09:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to the family Owchita smile.gif

I saw Manowar live many moons ago, Always loved the intro to Play On Ten cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 22 2021, 11:02 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 22 2021, 01:00 AM
Welcome to GMC!!! I'm Todd and I'm one of our staff instructors. This is a great place for musicians. You are gonna love it!! Do you have some music of yours that you can share? something from youtube or soundcloud?

Todd

QUOTE (owchita @ Nov 21 2021, 03:05 PM) *
Hi everyone, I joined the site last week.

I've been playing guitar since I was a teenager and got into metal, so 30 years now!

My tastes changed a bit, I play some acoustic early blues stuff, slide guitar, so big John Fahey fan. I also play a little bit of banjo and fiddle. Violin is a very humbling instrument sad.gif

On the electric side my favourite guitar player is Marc Ribot, particular his work with Tom Waits and his Cuban stuff. Also love Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, and Ross the Boss' playing on the early Manowar albums.

I record my own tunes for my own entertainment, solo acoustic, or little instrumental things somewhere between Marc Ribot, Dead Combo and Can.

I'd like to improve my timing and technique, and learn to apply scales a bit better.

Things I've noticed from looking at the Manowar and Iron Maiden lessons - I've never really played six notes to the beat before, or done much of that 3 note motif repeated over eighth notes so it shifts on each beat, if you know what I mean, like at start of Hey Joe! It's hurting my brain trying to count it, but I'm getting used to it and think it's something I need to do more of.

Hi everyone, it seems like a friendly community!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 22 2021, 07:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi and welcome to GMC! Enjoy the site and let us know if you need anything. See you around the forum. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 22 2021, 11:08 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome to have your here Owchita,

Very cool you play all these instruments and record your own stuff - it sounds like we need you in our collabs 🤗

Even though it was a while back, I remember clearly when I struggled with triplets. The cool thing when you get that down, is that it's a bit like having this magic tool that you can apply to all your 8th and 16th notes to make them sound totally different.

Welcome to GMC mate 👊

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 22 2021, 06:04 PM
Instructor
Hi Owchita! Welcome to GMC!

I can see that you have a very wide musical taste. Here you'll find everything you need to take your guitar playing to the next level, and if you need guidance, here I am. biggrin.gif

Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
owchita
Nov 22 2021, 07:43 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 22 2021, 12:00 AM) *
Welcome to GMC!!! I'm Todd and I'm one of our staff instructors. This is a great place for musicians. You are gonna love it!! Do you have some music of yours that you can share? something from youtube or soundcloud?

Todd

Thanks for the responses! I've uploaded a couple of things I recorded recently to Soundcloud.

This is a little piece that's just two guitars and drums, sort of a rhythmic thing I guess
https://soundcloud.com/user-698852492/modal...748ac8167528025

This one is a longish 'improvisation' over a backing track I made
https://soundcloud.com/user-698852492/a-min...390cd360b1e088f

I cringe a little bit listening to them as the parts where my timing is off really stick out to me, but it's fairly representative of where I am.

I mostly use blues, minor and harmonic scales, arpeggios, and chromatics. I'm looking to expand my palette, improve my chops and timing.

If there's any lessons you can suggest that'd be great! I've been looking at the modern dark blues one, but some of the faster bits are outside my ability, I've never really tried sweep picking before and not sure it would fit in my 'style' but if it's good enough for Django Reinhardt...

This post has been edited by owchita: Nov 22 2021, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2021, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the links!! I would suggest you join my SHRED BOOTCAMP! it's a currated series of 400 'Missions". It starts off very simple and gets harder as you go. It's my mentorship program. Another instructor here GABE who is also in this thread, also does mentorship. I'd say contact him as well!

Here is a link to the Bootcamp. It's called "Shred Bootcamp" but it's really about learning to play with precision more than learning how to play fast.

bit.ly/twtgmc

If you are up for it, shoot me a personal message here on GMC. If you have not used the personal message system yet, here is your chance! Click on my picture in this post and youll see a dropdown menu with SEND MESSAGE.

Todd

QUOTE (owchita @ Nov 22 2021, 02:43 PM) *
Thanks for the responses! I've uploaded a couple of things I recorded recently to Soundcloud.

I mostly use blues, minor and harmonic scales, arpeggios, and chromatics. I'm looking to expand my palette, improve my chops and timing.

If there's any lessons you can suggest that'd be great! I've been looking at the modern dark blues one, but some of the faster bits are outside my ability, I've never really tried sweep picking before and not sure it would fit in my 'style' but if it's good enough for Django Reinhardt...

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 23 2021, 08:14 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (owchita @ Nov 22 2021, 07:43 PM) *

This is a little piece that's just two guitars and drums, sort of a rhythmic thing I guess
https://soundcloud.com/user-698852492/modal...748ac8167528025

This one is a longish 'improvisation' over a backing track I made
https://soundcloud.com/user-698852492/a-min...390cd360b1e088f

I cringe a little bit listening to them as the parts where my timing is off really stick out to me, but it's fairly representative of where I am.

Amazing stuff mate. I loved both of these, but especially the Reggae tunes stood out as original to me - that would make up for an excellent theme of the next collab.

I also also the Gipsy Jazz vibes you got going.

QUOTE (owchita @ Nov 22 2021, 07:43 PM) *

Since your style is already quite broad, and your goals are not super specific - my suggestion would be to have a routine where you try to learn one new lick/scale/idea/concept per day (from any lesson, use and abuse the search! 😅) and apply it to your daily jam session.

I personally find the kind of practicing most enjoyable. And since you have reached the stage of being able to jam around with concepts it will likely give you the fastest results.

--------------------

+Quote Post
owchita
Nov 23 2021, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words both!

That's a good idea, Kris, I like the idea of looking at a new technique or lick every day and seeing how to incorporate it into my playing.

I'll take a look through the shred course too, Todd. I've tried in the past to add bits of shred technique to my playing, and was working through the 'Speed Mechanics' book, but never really found a way to apply it. To be honest I didn't find the examples that interesting, but your course has sections on shred in context, and scales other than the usual modes so maybe it'll be more inspiring, and a bit more precisions is welcome!

To start with I'll look at a bit of shred and a new lick every day, cheers!

This post has been edited by owchita: Nov 23 2021, 10:13 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:09 AM