Slowing Down Tracks, Without changes pitch!?
Pedja Simovic
Nov 16 2009, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Hey guys,

I am wondering if you have suggestions when it comes to slowing down certain backing tracks. I have some fast tempo backing tracks that I would like to perform with as ballads as well. I use Nuendo and when I slow them down the pitch slightly changes and you can hear the difference. Do you have any other software suggestions that might get rid of that problem?

Thanks!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Nov 16 2009, 11:56 AM
Flamenco Instructor
Hi Pedja! I´ve used many years the programm Transcribe. Is amazing how it can slow down, change pitch and a lot of things. Transcribe 7.20 works in mono and stereo. Also you can export the wave file with the changes you´ve make.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 16 2009, 11:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 16 2009, 10:49 AM) *
Hey guys,

I am wondering if you have suggestions when it comes to slowing down certain backing tracks. I have some fast tempo backing tracks that I would like to perform with as ballads as well. I use Nuendo and when I slow them down the pitch slightly changes and you can hear the difference. Do you have any other software suggestions that might get rid of that problem?

Thanks!

Pedja

There are some good plugins that can do that but you will always hear the difference in quality. You can go down to 20bpm for some acceptable results. After that the quality changes but the pitch stays the same. I use a little program called transcribe. It has a good algorithm for changing pitch but I wouldn't use it in a pro situation if I go over 20bpm, only for practicing at home. Check some other ones on internet, you can search for "time stretch" plugin or similar.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 16 2009, 12:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 16 2009, 11:49 AM) *
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Pedja

A friend of mine has done the "Amazing Slow Downer", check it out at www.ronimusic.com .... It works well for me.
I think it will run free in demo mode, but it costs just some 50$ anyway....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Fingerspasm
Nov 16 2009, 01:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 16 2009, 06:05 AM) *
A friend of mine has done the "Amazing Slow Downer", check it out at www.ronimusic.com .... It works well for me.
I think it will run free in demo mode, but it costs just some 50$ anyway....

//Staffay

I also have the amazing slow downer. It works very well and its pretty cheap.

--------------------
My Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/FingerSpasm?feature=mhum

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes its the quiet voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 16 2009, 02:01 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot guys. I used both Amazing slow downer and Transcriber in Boston but never for tempo difference larger then 30bpm. It sounded great but I am concerned about 200bpm going down to 100bpm or 80bpm tempo. For example Giant Steps, Moments notice and fast tunes like that - I would like to play them in ballad bossa and swing style. Like Emir said, I would like it to sound professional and not in any way noticeable that it was slowed down smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 16 2009, 02:32 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Reaper has some good support for this - if you use the Elastique Pro algorithm instead of the default you can get some very good results - Reaper is free to try for a limited time as well.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 16 2009, 02:35 PM
GMC:er
Hey Pedja, have you tried doing it with Audacity??
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 16 2009, 03:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 16 2009, 02:35 PM) *
biggrin.gif

No I haven't Jones, I will download it now and see what I can do with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Nov 16 2009, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Nov 16 2009, 08:35 AM) *
biggrin.gif

I just tried that with Audacity this morning. It worked well enough. I wouldn't record with the slower backing track, but for practice, it was fine.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 16 2009, 04:16 PM
Instructor
My friend bass player is coming tomorrow and we will try to work it all out in Sound Forge. Hopefully that will work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2009, 12:37 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Tell us the results! I used Cubase for that "time stretch option", but results are good only on small tempo changes - nothing drastic...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 17 2009, 12:56 AM
Instructor
Will do Bogdan. I got around 60+ backing tracks to normalize and do tempo change on some of them, hoping for the best.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 17 2009, 01:50 AM
Instructor
For what I know of, if it's only midi, there shouldn't be pitch shift,

If you want to slow down audio, it's going to be noticeable,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 17 2009, 01:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 17 2009, 01:50 AM) *
For what I know of, if it's only midi, there shouldn't be pitch shift,

If you want to slow down audio, it's going to be noticeable,

When I do solo performance I never use midi so we are talking about professional backing tracks that are audio and done with real instruments. That's where the problem starts biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 17 2009, 09:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 17 2009, 12:52 AM) *
When I do solo performance I never use midi so we are talking about professional backing tracks that are audio and done with real instruments. That's where the problem starts biggrin.gif

If you can find midi files of those and then mix them yourself with some real samples, you can then change anything. It's a big job but if you need it that much then one day you will have to do it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 18 2009, 12:45 AM
Instructor
We edited 14 tracks, I have about 20-30 to do by Thursday. Slowing down works sometimes but time streaching options can work up to 5-7 seconds difference max. I haven't used it for any backing track but we rather took out voice count ins imported some click sample and did normalization with eq's for all 14 tracks. Took a lot of time (about 4 hours) but it was definitely worth it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 18 2009, 01:16 AM
Instructor
Great if you found the system that works for you smile.gif I improvise a lot with that stuff when preparing stuff for a gig.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 18 2009, 05:31 AM
Learning Roadie
If it were not for Amazing Slow Downer and Guitar Pro I would probably never be able to play anything on the guitar. GP helps me figure out the tempo/beat and learn the song/lesson and then I can use Amazing to play along before I am actually ready. Keeps the monotony down.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 18 2009, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 18 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Great if you found the system that works for you smile.gif I improvise a lot with that stuff when preparing stuff for a gig.

Yeah I know what you mean Emir. I will definitely improvise 30-40 pieces as I don't have prepared solos for those jazz standards. Its just that this work in Nuendo with plug-ins takes a lot of time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:56 PM