New string
Norven
Jun 4 2006, 08:38 PM
GMC:er
Hi

My low E string was broke so i bought a new one, the day after.
I stringed the new string and began to play, such bendings I use to do. after 30 min the new string was off sad.gif
I bought another and that one had same destiny.

What am i doing wrong?
Should I take it easy with new strings?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tank
Jun 5 2006, 12:29 PM
GMC Veteran
I don't think it's you, but it depends on how much you are abusing the strings. Generally strings in my experience should easily be able to accept 3 to 4 semitones of bend, once you start bending more than this, you are playing dice.

two things might help

1. (You may already know this!!) Make sure you stretch the string properly before you play. To do this, you tune the string, then stretch it. It will go out of tune. Tune it up again, then stretch it. Keep doing this until the string stops going out of tune.

2. Are your strings are snapping in the same place? (for instance at the bridge). If so, it could be likely that the saddle has a piece of rough metal stressing on the string, and when you bend, all the pressure is focused on this point, and making the string snap. To fix this, you might need to file down the saddle slightly, so that it is nice and smooth. Also check the nut and the tuners, if the string is snapping at that end.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Norven
Jun 5 2006, 03:05 PM
Okey thanks smile.gif

When I explained what i did when the string snapped, I said I did just very small bendings. And the second string snapped when I tuned the string :think

But The tips was really good smile.gif
Thanks a lot

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
lezenko
Jun 21 2006, 08:30 PM
Well it depends on the tunings, obviously the lower tuned your guitar is the more you can bend (Hence why most of slash and yngwie's songs at in Eb(flat) )

Take it easy on the string and if you can fell the tension dont risk it, Remember when you bend usually your trying to get the pic a whole step higher, if its getting to the point where they keep snapping, ur best just striking the 2nd fret down from where you already are obviously depending on the bend you want to acheive

Hope this helps

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:05 AM