Keep Breaking E's
bleez
Sep 15 2016, 09:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
ok so, that's the second high E Ive broken in the space of 5 days dry.gif Fairly certain it was even the exact same bend! Its breaking where my finger is bending the string, not at the head or the bridge. Does that suggest Im hitting it too hard or my pick is to pointy?
This is on the Tele, Ive never broke strings this frequent before. Would it be worth sticking 11s on?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Phil66
Sep 15 2016, 09:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If it's breaking at the same fret each time, get the fret checked for a sharp/rough edge mate.

Not my wisdom, I found it HERE wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 15 2016, 10:34 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 15 2016, 09:27 PM
GMC:er
What about intonation? also, are the saddles set to the highest?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 15 2016, 10:36 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 15 2016, 08:27 PM) *
What about intonation? also, are the saddles set to the highest?

But don't you think it's odd that the strings are breaking at the finger that is bending the string? That doesn't suggest bridge issues to me???? unsure.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 15 2016, 10:53 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 15 2016, 09:36 PM) *
But don't you think it's odd that the strings are breaking at the finger that is bending the string? That doesn't suggest bridge issues to me???? unsure.gif

it can have more pull-stress cause of wrong intonation and also string angle from saddle (tough this is the least likely reason but can happen)

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 15 2016, 10:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 15 2016, 11:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Interesting point about rough frets, I cant feel any rough parts but doesnt mean its not there smile.gif I'll keep that in mind.
Im really not sure about the height of the saddles, I dunno what they should be rolleyes.gif the intonation might need tweaked.

Im taking it in to get a setup on Saturday, so I can mention these things to the guy and ask him to check.
If there is anything else you guys think I should mention to him for checking Im all ears smile.gif

Its literally 9th fret, high E, both times when I was hitting a bend in the solo for hotel California... although maybe the song isnt relevant cool.gif
should I go for a thicker gauge? I usually play 10s.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 16 2016, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Buy this and I'm not kidding:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/s...s-tune-o-matics

Done it in two of my guitars years back. Haven't break a string since it's there. Good news is Tune-o-matic version is highly more unexpensive than strat replacement. I use it in my mayo, old schecter and currently in my SX strat.

Metal saddles tend to get worn out and get sharp edges. You can file them down, but you'll remove the nickel surface and it will start to rust...so after some time there will be a "file" surface again. Graph-tech string saver saddles solve this. Ther are really worth the price considering you'll never be afaraid of unexpected breakage.

Of course unless you do not cross the reasonable time of string exploatation...but then you know you can break the string anytime, because it's time has come smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 16 2016, 12:29 PM
I have those on my Strat and Peavey tele clone, but Scott is getting breaking at the fret, 9th fret both times.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 16 2016, 04:47 PM
10's should be fine.

It could just be bad luck.
The actual set of strings, are they the same brand and did you buy them at the same time?
I've gotten 'bad' strings many times.

Also, if you're practicing that solo a lot. You may be putting a kink in the string at the 9th fret. That will weaken it.

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 16 2016, 05:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 16 2016, 04:47 PM) *
10's should be fine.

It could just be bad luck.
The actual set of strings, are they the same brand and did you buy them at the same time?
I've gotten 'bad' strings many times.

Also, if you're practicing that solo a lot. You may be putting a kink in the string at the 9th fret. That will weaken it.

the first break was the on the strings that came with the guitar, I coulndt be assed changing the whole set at the time rolleyes.gif so I just put on a new E from a pack of ernie balls.
I had played the solo maybe 3 times, it sounds cool on the tele smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 17 2016, 04:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
got it back from the guy, he couldnt find any issue with the frets that might have caused the breaks....... all eyes are now narrowed and looking at me biggrin.gif we'll see how it goes, I might avoid hotel california for few days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 17 2016, 08:26 PM
biggrin.gif

well atleast you got rid of most of the posibilitys by takeing care of the setup, let us know if it happens again and we'll try to help smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 6 2016, 05:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yup, another e string goes dry.gif different fret ( different solo! ) but still breaking at my finger. that's 3 weeks since the last one , Im not sure if 3 weeks is unusual or Im just paranoid huh.gif All I know is that I dont break strings on my LP or SG at this frequency

I was going to replace the saddles anyway, so I'll still do that but Im thinking it might be worth just getting the frets dressed or something, would that be an valid option?
should I also try upgrading the nut while Im at it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 6 2016, 05:52 PM
If there's a rough spot on a fret you'd feel it.

Fenders have a slightly longer scale.
Scale length of a Stratocaster is 25.5"; the scale length of a Les Paul (and SG) is 24.75".
The strings are tighter on a Strat.

If you play it a lot and are bending the high E string every time you play, breaking a string every 3 weeks is not abnormal.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 6 2016, 06:24 PM
I know many luthiers don't know this trick so you'll probably have to explain it to yours but here it goes;

Every guitars body and neck has an angle from the neck pocket, this is the neck pocket

They usually place thin paper or wood at the closest point to the pickup before bolting the neck. Thing is, if the angle is too much this creates extra string tension (even if intonation is perfect).

Now the reason of this tension is the bridge, basically what angle the strings are on the saddle. Check the picture Darious shared

There is a reason those holes have a certain distance to the trem. , if too close the strings would break and if too far the tone will be muddy. Caue the angle changes as the distance change.

This on your guitar can only be adjusted minimally but there's a chance it may work. If the neck pocket angle can be straighter (like removing or thining that piece of paper/wood) then those saddles on the bridge can be lowered and result is that string angle is changed (tension decreased).

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 6 2016, 06:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 7 2016, 06:40 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I wouldnt say Ive played it excessively over the last 3 weeks. Ive certainly played my SG as much so it's not been constantly getting played. I had just picked up the tele after work as my PC was booting, maybe the strings were cold huh.gif still, its getting on my tits now.
I'll see the tech tonight and mention the neck pocket, thanks Mertay. we'll see what he says.
I also need to pick up some oil for the fretboard, it is crazy dry. Might that be a factor? Ive never had to put oil on my LP or SG as neither have ever felt dry but the fretboard on this tele is super dry. The guy oiled it when he done the setup and the guitar seemed to just eat it up!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 7 2016, 09:33 AM
Instructor
Mertay has a good point here. It's one of things worth trying - it won't hurt your guitar even if you won't feel day to night difference.

Fretboard humidity has nothing to do with strings breakage. If you notice you're fretboard "drinking" the oil like crazy.....be aware to not over-hydrate it.....it can warp/distort it's shape irregular way. You can apply some lemon oil once per month but....remove it with cloth as soon as you apply some. Let the the fretboard drink just a little bit from the surface, not more. When you'll notice it doesn't go that dry anymore, then limit your "oil massages" to one per 6 months.

If the saddle is a problem you can switch saddles from other strings just to see if that's the case. Sharp edges on saddles are something that must be filed down and constantly lubricated.

Now generally about the fretboard and frets. Best thing you can do is to simply play a lot. Even If you break some strings (try to purchase a single ones, not a set) if there is any problem with frets it will worn out as fast as much you'll be playing this particular guitar. Also the fretboard....will take some humidity out of you - your fingers and water from the breathed air.

Most often hurt to guitar is being done by simply not playing it smile.gif Maybe you need to reverse the process by spending more time with tele than the SG?

Also....keep your guitars in cases/bags. They will not loose their humidity as fast as being hanged on the wall or put in the stand. Strings will stay fresh for a bit longer as well.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 7 2016, 12:55 PM
There's not a lot I can add to any of the advice already offered here mate. A set of 10's on a Tele should be able to handle any bend. I have 10's on all my Teles and never have this problem.
The one thing I can think of that has been touched on by Ken is the String Tension. The fact that you're used to the Gibson Scale Length could mean that you're attacking the bends a bit too aggressively and may need to adjust your technique accordingly!
As for the Guitar itself? If you're taking it to your Tech Guy then I'd suggest checking these things in this order:-
A Fret Dress, Bridge Set-up then the Neck Tilt.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 7 2016, 02:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks very much for all the input guys, much appreciated smile.gif
I should see the tech over the weekend, I'll mention all these points cool.gif
in the meantime I'll order a bunch of High e's to keep me going.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 7 2016, 03:05 PM
I have a lot of guitars and I don't keep track of how much I break strings but I do have on hand at least 20 extra high Es and Bs at all times.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:51 AM