Slash Month
-Zion-
Feb 22 2011, 10:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Hello GMC

Well, the month of february is nearly to its end, which probably means that the month of Slash is about to end.

Anyways, I just had a few things to say about Slash month here:
First of, I must say that this is an AWESOME initiative, and I am very much looking forward to more of these. This one was specially nice, because I really enjoy the works of Slash, and I must give my kudos Lucio, who has done an amazing job as Slash. Just amazing.
I am sure to be doing these lessons really soon when I am done with the ones I am currently doing.

Furthermore, I'd like to extend the above to include Walter. I really enjoyed and learned a great deal by his analysis, so a big kudos to him as well. It seems I get a lot more out of a lesson when this sort of thing is included.

Now, I would like to propose that, if possible, instructors would do a kind of analysis of their lessons in the future. The thing is, more often that not, I tend to pick a lesson because it sounds good, it's a style I want to learn, or its a practice method on a skill I need to improve.

The thing is, I learn the lesson, and move on. Perhaps you can blame it on bad homework ethics, or something else, but I rarely go into extreme details with a lesson.

Well, I guess I am just looking for answers to the question: WHY?
Why is the instructor using that scale? why is that particular scale working on this particular chord progression?

Reading the above, I guess what I need is some of the theory behind lessons. I've been studying a lot of theory but it seems to be a neverending topic, where you read and read and read for a long time and you just dont get it, until one day you read a single line, and suddenly the past two months of reading just makes sense.

Perhaps we could create some sort of theory classes, where an instructor could say: This week we will learn about f.ex. the major scale. The instructor can create a lesson to go with this (with NO GUITAR), and perhaps point to andrews theory board as well. At the end of the week (or during), questions could be submitted, or even homework could be given. Sort of like the old MTP, but with theory.

Anyways, enough rambling.
Kudos once again to Lucio and Walter. Great lessons.. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Feb 22 2011, 02:21 PM
Instructor
I think this is a great idea. I'll try to get into more detail with my lessons in the future.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 22 2011, 04:12 PM
GMC:er
Definately with you, Zion. Some lessons already include this info, but even a few lines at the bottom of the video, explaining the thought behind the choice of x, y and z, would be really helpful.

As certain lessons are geared much more towards technique, the explanation isn't a must, but it wouldn't hurt.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Feb 22 2011, 06:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
I 100% agree with Zion.

This Slash month was great and I really liked the way it was explained.

I have the same "problem"like Zion: just be a copycat of the lesson and I am not being able to be another than just that don't understand why a certain scale sounds good. So I certainly dig some more explanation on a lesson

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 23 2011, 11:30 AM
GMC Founder
Couldn't agree more with Zion - I have wanted GMC to go in this direction for long time. And what you are seeing now is the first result of this new change of direction. You can definitely expect more "feature months", the next one is being planned/produced as we speak!

We will continuously strive to improve the lesson experience - and my ambition is to further connect new lessons with more in-depth analysis (using existing and upcoming GMC site features) in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:08 PM