> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Iron Maiden Lesson, Harmonys
Gilmore
Aug 6 2008, 10:29 AM
GMC:er
Hi

I really enjoyed your new Maiden lesson and I jam to it all the time now, both guitars. But in my own solos I like to throw in a harmony section here and there. I´m struggling swith the theory behind this harmonisizing. It takes me a great deal of time to come up with a harmony to a lick, because I usually just use my ear. Can you explain in a few words how it´s best to do this? Could a very skilled guitarist with good theory background, play harmony to any lick on the spot?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2008, 12:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Aug 6 2008, 06:29 AM) *
Hi

I really enjoyed your new Maiden lesson and I jam to it all the time now, both guitars. But in my own solos I like to throw in a harmony section here and there. I´m struggling swith the theory behind this harmonisizing. It takes me a great deal of time to come up with a harmony to a lick, because I usually just use my ear. Can you explain in a few words how it´s best to do this? Could a very skilled guitarist with good theory background, play harmony to any lick on the spot?

Hey Gilmore! I'm glad that you enjoyed my lesson! biggrin.gif

The theory behind the Maiden Style harmonizations is simple. The most common harmonization (like the intro of the song "The Trooper") is in diatonic thirds. This means that if you are playing in A minor scale and the first guitar plays A note, the second guitar would play C note. They also harmonize in fifths (However Megadeth uses these harmonizations more often) and sixths (that can be seen as a lower third). Now that they have three guitars they use in some parts harmonization in octaves too.

I always trust in my ear when I compose two guitar harmonizations (or even vocal harmonizations) to make a combination of thirds, fifths and sixths to make it sound more interesting.

For me is easy to harmonize on the spot if I don't combine different intervals but I don't know what happens to other guitar players.

gabriel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Aug 7 2008, 01:05 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for this, it helped alot. I also found a great lesson on this topic in Andrews theory section.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2008, 02:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Aug 6 2008, 09:05 PM) *
Thanks for this, it helped alot. I also found a great lesson on this topic in Andrews theory section.

No problem! Let me know if you have any other questions. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:09 PM