2 Pages V   1 2 >  
The Zen Of Screaming
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2012, 08:40 AM
Instructor
Well, the title should be an attention drawing one at least biggrin.gif

There is a certain lady called Melissa Cross which is the vocal instructor of 90% of today's famous metal vocalists and she does a hell of a job as well! Check this out:

I think it's a very good way to learn stuff about your voice and how NOT to trash it when you sing in a metal band based on various forms of extreme vocal techniques smile.gif

I am currently trying to learn how to fry scream and her DVDs will hopefully help out!

Check it out guys!

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 21 2012, 08:59 AM
GMC:er
Really helps, looks like I've gotta start practicing from this, but, I still don't get how would I get good screaming from this :blank: I'll give it a try, what order are you watching the DVD in Cosmin ? chapter-wise list please biggrin.gif

Oh, and since its a screaming thread, I had a few doubts in my mind, with different types of screams. Wait for my next post smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 21 2012, 09:04 AM
Instructor
This lady is quite well known and respected in that circle. I remember they did a small feature about her in Metal Hammer a few years back. smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 21 2012, 01:58 PM
Learning Roadie
The first dvd is the basics of singing, though I found better methods for lowering the larynx than her's.

I hear the 2nd dvd gets more into the realm of the screaming type thing

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 21 2012, 02:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 21 2012, 12:58 PM) *
The first dvd is the basics of singing, though I found better methods for lowering the larynx than her's.

I hear the 2nd dvd gets more into the realm of the screaming type thing

EVTS and EVI are also good methods for understanding the dynamics of your larynx wink.gif

QUOTE (Yash @ Sep 21 2012, 07:59 AM) *
Really helps, looks like I've gotta start practicing from this, but, I still don't get how would I get good screaming from this :blank: I'll give it a try, what order are you watching the DVD in Cosmin ? chapter-wise list please biggrin.gif

Oh, and since its a screaming thread, I had a few doubts in my mind, with different types of screams. Wait for my next post smile.gif

Hey Yash - try out Zen of screaming 1 - the first DVD! Ok? You need to master some stuff from there in order to grasp the concepts in this second one wink.gif

I mostly like Fry screaming and usually all the vocalists you and I like, are fry screamers biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 21 2012, 02:42 PM
Instructor
I didn't use this ones but I know that Luciana has both methods and she was happy with it so... go for it mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 21 2012, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm using the SLS method, my friend and band mate is a SLS vocal instructor, so that's nice. In terms of audio tution Singing Success is based on SLS it can feel a bit cheesy but the theory and exercises are good.

There's no screaming in it though

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Sep 21 2012, 02:56 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 22 2012, 02:37 AM
This is very cool. I'm gonna have to pick up copies of these. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 22 2012, 12:50 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 21 2012, 06:45 PM) *
EVTS and EVI are also good methods for understanding the dynamics of your larynx wink.gif

Hey Yash - try out Zen of screaming 1 - the first DVD! Ok? You need to master some stuff from there in order to grasp the concepts in this second one wink.gif

I mostly like Fry screaming and usually all the vocalists you and I like, are fry screamers biggrin.gif

I have the first DVD (no more details) dry.gif But, what order do I watch it in ? huh.gif There are just chapters, in no particular order, just intro and end seem obvious. tongue.gif

What is fry screaming ? mellow.gif I know that, there are different types of screams,and I was collecting thoughts on that, and would be posting soon wink.gif I know there is 'something' called 'Gutteral' (done from the gut, maybe huh.gif ) and, you said fry screaming, and I also know there's the constant death metal screaming, Youtube links for examples soon to follow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 22 2012, 05:07 PM
Instructor
Yash, forget youtube for a second and focus on these two DVDs smile.gif Write down the techniques you see in the first one and try to understand them - there's no particular order, but what you should be able to do is: control your larynx's position, use the air from the diaphragm (dump as Melissa calls it) and also the position of your tongue.

Focus on the fry screaming technique she explains in the second DVD. Have you watched them whole? If not, first watch and understand all the concepts, then try to apply wink.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 22 2012, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2012, 09:37 PM) *
Yash, forget youtube for a second and focus on these two DVDs smile.gif Write down the techniques you see in the first one and try to understand them - there's no particular order, but what you should be able to do is: control your larynx's position, use the air from the diaphragm (dump as Melissa calls it) and also the position of your tongue.

Focus on the fry screaming technique she explains in the second DVD. Have you watched them whole? If not, first watch and understand all the concepts, then try to apply wink.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

Deal wink.gif I want to scream like the two Bullet for My Valentine guys. biggrin.gif Matt has a kinda, low scream,. Their bassist Jay has a more of a what I like to call high, cutting screams smile.gif (Check their first live DVD, and then listen to their first album, you'll know what I mean wink.gif ) I'll start working on the techniques after reaching Russia. I have my flight on 24th morning 4 AM smile.gif So, tomorrows gonna be very busy. See you all on Monday or Tuesday smile.gif

Plan: Work on the 1st DVD smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 22 2012, 06:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2012, 05:07 PM) *

Deal?

Cosmin

I'm interested to know what is this 'fry' screaming technique.. and the difference between that and other screaming ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 23 2012, 09:50 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 22 2012, 10:36 PM) *
I'm interested to know what is this 'fry' screaming technique.. and the difference between that and other screaming ? smile.gif

Me too. smile.gif That's what I was thinking to ask about, different types of screaming smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 23 2012, 10:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Sep 23 2012, 09:50 AM) *
Me too. smile.gif That's what I was thinking to ask about, different types of screaming smile.gif

Do you think that Fry screaming could be - screaming that is so powerful you could fry an egg with it ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nether
Sep 23 2012, 10:28 AM
This is Fry screaming:

This post has been edited by Nether: Sep 23 2012, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 23 2012, 11:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 22 2012, 05:07 PM) *

Deal?

Cosmin

so are we going to be honored to hear an example ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 24 2012, 09:03 AM
Instructor
Hey guys, Melissa Cross defines fry screaming through the aid of that word, because in the beginning, when you start studying it, it will sound like something frying in a pan smile.gif

It must be done at low volume and with sustained but proper amount of air coming from the diaphragm or 'dump' as she likes to call it.

Check it out in this vid at 0:39

..and for Yash biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 24 2012, 09:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
cool thread ~ I just bought the DVD (#1) on Friday. I'm not a screamer, but I watched the DVD trailer and a lot of things Cross said really sparked my interest and wanting to grow in my vocal ability, I'm hoping to glean alot from it. Thanks for turning me onto it!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 24 2012, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Sep 24 2012, 08:06 AM) *
cool thread ~ I just bought the DVD (#1) on Friday. I'm not a screamer, but I watched the DVD trailer and a lot of things Cross said really sparked my interest and wanting to grow in my vocal ability, I'm hoping to glean alot from it. Thanks for turning me onto it!

wink.gif Godspeed on your journey, man!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 24 2012, 09:41 AM
Instructor
It does look really interesting. She's clearly one of those people who thinks about the physical demands that a singer faces.. even though I've not interest in singing/screaming I'd still watch it just because it's so interesting smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 PM