Uli John Roth Style
wollace03
Feb 2 2013, 03:17 PM
GMC:er
hi ben!

I am practicing your excellent uli john roth lesson and tried to use some of the licks in another key. You show the d phrygian major scale for the first part of the solo but isn´t it the d phrygian dominant scale? I somehow can´t fit the fsharp into the phrygian major...

and a second question: shouldn´t it be e flat instead of d sharp (I know its the same but d phrygian is the 3rd degree of b flat?)
I am just starting to try to understand modes and I am very, very bad when it comes to theory so maybe my question are very silly questions but I really like the flavour of your solo and I want to understand how to come to that sound....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 2 2013, 03:55 PM
Instructor
Hi ! Glad you're liking the lesson. The Phrygian Major Mode and Phrygian Dominant Mode are both the same, just people call them different names depending how they learnt it. It's definitely correct scale for it smile.gif

I must admit I am a bit confused by your question though smile.gif

Might be a good one to ask our new Professor !

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47605

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
wollace03
Feb 2 2013, 04:47 PM
GMC:er
I was just confused because you have d - d sharp - f sharp -->
but I figured out that phrygian dominant is the 5th degree of the harmonic minor scale and now everything makes perfect sense (in some way).....
thanx for your answer!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2013, 10:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (wollace03 @ Feb 2 2013, 03:47 PM) *
I was just confused because you have d - d sharp - f sharp -->
but I figured out that phrygian dominant is the 5th degree of the harmonic minor scale and now everything makes perfect sense (in some way).....
thanx for your answer!

Ok glad I could clear it up for you ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:15 PM