Left Wrist Hurts..., can anything make it stop?
ranttt
Jul 21 2008, 05:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys on GMC i have a VERY BIG problem...

I started playing guitar not long aggo and now i cant stop again, and well that is not a bad thing couse i enjoy playing! The bad thing is that my left wrist starts to hurt some i think. Well as i sad in the topic i posted in the "intereduce yourself" forum, i havent played before on anything so my wrists are not used to all this guitarplay. but i just cant stop.

I therefore hoped that someone had a tip that could help me?

I always start with a warm-up before i play faster licks (im new to the guitar so i cant play that fast at all, but still)

Can you get anyting to put around the wrist or somthing so that i dont have to put the guitar away for some dayes. or is there anything ells i can do. mostly i play 2 - 3 hours a day.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 21 2008, 05:54 PM
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jul 21 2008, 06:32 PM) *

I started playing guitar not long aggo and now i cant stop again, and well that is not a bad thing couse i enjoy playing! The bad thing is that my left wrist starts to hurt some i think. Well as i sad in the topic i posted in the "intereduce yourself" forum, i havent played before on anything so my wrists are not used to all this guitarplay. but i just cant stop.

I always start with a warm-up before i play faster licks (im new to the guitar so i cant play that fast at all, but still)

Can you get anyting to put around the wrist or somthing so that i dont have to put the guitar away for some dayes. or is there anything ells i can do. mostly i play 2 - 3 hours a day.

Remember, stretch before, not after your play. this will reduce muscle growth.
Also, you should lay the guitar down for a day or two, or you won't be able to play for a long time soon.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 21 2008, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
be sure to warmup before you play and dont force yourself if it hurts take a rest and dont play untill the pain is gone

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
ranttt
Jul 21 2008, 06:36 PM
two dayes?!... oh well... guess thers nothing ells to do. ill take a rest then.

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 21 2008, 07:00 PM
yea if you hurt take a break don't push yourself or you might hurt more

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 21 2008, 07:18 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
There's a thing called a wrist brace that i think would help. Dunno if you just get them in hospitals but you could probably buy one.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 21 2008, 07:25 PM
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jul 21 2008, 07:36 PM) *
two dayes?!... oh well... guess thers nothing ells to do. ill take a rest then.

I really recommend it. You should, SHOULDDDDDDDDD read theory meanwhile.

Andrew's theory lessons!!

Start with the major scale, and the major triad chords.

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Jul 21 2008, 07:25 PM
Instructor
Your left wrist should be as straight as possible and in line with the fore arm, also apply to much pressure while fretting could be a possible cause, or a too low guitar, (I know play guitar high is not cool!).

I suggest you set a lesson with a local experienced teacher, even a classical one, and ask him to check your posture and techniques

Good Luck smile.gif

Joe

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jul 21 2008, 10:47 PM
mostly i play 2 - 3 hours a day.

If you are new to guitar, that is too much time! huh.gif

You have to gradually build up muscles and stamina and strength.

I know it sucks, but you need to stop playing the guitar when you feel any pain whatsoever.

Stop playing, rest/stretch/relax.
Start playing.
Stop when it hurts.

If you can't play at all, take a few days off.

Guitar playing is physical.
Imagine running for 2-3 hours a day - you can't do that without hurting yourself if you're just starting out.
You have to build yourself up, gradually.

Just my 2 cents. smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 22 2008, 12:55 AM
Instructor

I've had the exact same problem many times, especially in my first year(s).
I ended up with hurting wrists because i didnt know how to play "correctly", never warmed up and i played way too much. My posture was all wrong and i never had a teacher who could give me advice on this.
I got lucky though, because i eventually just found the right position so to speak.

It's easy to get some maybe permament damage if your not careful, and Joe's advice on getting a lesson with a local instructor is terrific advice. You can learn some really valuable stuff in just one session regarding this.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2008, 11:18 AM
Instructor
Take a break of few days from practicing, and jamming, and see how the wrist behaves. It may be the wrist itself, so if the problem persist, contact the doctor. Also Try to find a posture that feels comfortable when practicing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2008, 02:13 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Maybe you want to shorten your daily practice session until your wrist gets up to the task ?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jul 22 2008, 11:18 PM
I've had very similar experiences in my left wrist, and once ended up with a ganglion (a huge bump from over stress)
There are 3 things that have helped me GREATLY:
1. WARMUP and STRETCH!
2. Relax, take it slow, and DON'T PUSH YOURSELF!
3. After a hardcore routine, and when your exhausted, by some Deep Heat or any other muscle relaxant, and slap it on for a bit. It helps amazingly.
Take it easy,
Cheers

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:23 AM