Intonation Problem
Matt23
Oct 8 2009, 08:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Recently I've had it pointed out and I've noticed that the intonation on my hight E string is really flat, so yesterday I got my screwdriver and loosened the screw on the saddle to fix it. I got the intonation about half way to right, but then the saddle had gone as far as it was going to go and the crew started to loosen and come off the bridge. This has never happened before so I'm assuming its fixable, but I don't know how, so if you have an advice I'd really like to hear it.

-Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Sensible Jones
Oct 8 2009, 08:50 PM
GMC:er
What type of bridge is it Matt?
smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 8 2009, 08:51 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
A strat style floating bridge. A FAT10 Ibanez bridge if you need to know more precisely.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 8 2009, 09:01 PM
Similar to this?
I know it won't be exactly the same!! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Oct 8 2009, 09:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 8 2009, 09:12 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I had a Squier like that, I couldn't get the high E intonated, B also I belive. Even though it was in the edge position the scale wasn't long enough to intonate even close.
It was so strange, I didn't get it solved spite I tried everything.

I had this problem from the start, don't know if you also had it from the start.

Try a thicker high E string, the thicker the string the less the "compensation"
i.e with a thin string when pressing it down there's another, longer, measure than the theoretical 12'th fret times 2 for the scale which needs more compensation which is adjusted my moving the saddle backwards.

New strings is a must and that they are stretched aswell.

You can also begin with adjusting your action to be as low as possible before intonating. This allows for less compensation hence the low E saddle won't have to be in the far back position.

I've also had saddles jump out of position. New screws was the solution to that.

Hope any of it helps!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 8 2009, 10:08 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Yeh it's something like that. http://www.bismanlive.com/members/70/photo_417_image.jpg (I didn't embed since it's huge).

Thanks for your reply Micke, I think there is a solution in there, and to answer you're question it wasn't like this from the start. About the string size I don't really want to change that since I've heard that you need to adjust your truss rod to use different string gauges (this might not be true though I'm not sure). My action is as low as it can go before the top frets of the high E string don't work. I think the key though is the new strings. I only change my strings when they break, since I haven't got the money to change my strings every month, and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my high E recently so I'll put a new string on and see if that helps. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 8 2009, 11:33 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 8 2009, 11:08 PM) *
I only change my strings when they break, since I haven't got the money to change my strings every month, and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my high E recently so I'll put a new string on and see if that helps. smile.gif

Could be it then. I suggest that you change all strings at once even if it'll cost you a bit more.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 9 2009, 11:46 AM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 8 2009, 10:08 PM) *
and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed my high E recently so I'll put a new string on and see if that helps. smile.gif

See if that works Matt, if not let us know.
TBH I've never come across a bridge that couldn't be intonated correctly! I have struggled with some but always got there in the end!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 9 2009, 03:46 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Yep, replacing the string sorted it. Thanks for all your help guys. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 9 2009, 07:08 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Oct 9 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Yep, replacing the string sorted it. Thanks for all your help guys. smile.gif

Glad to hear it worked out smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 11 2009, 08:07 PM
Instructor
If in the future you get more of these problems, try to get a bit longer screw if possible.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:34 PM