8th Note Noodling!, Quick Licks #10 (8th Notes with 16th Triplet Feel)
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2018, 11:09 PM
GMC:er
8TH NOTE NOODLING WITH 16th NOTE TRIPLET FEEL

INTRO:

This is the last in our SABBATH series of licks. In this one, we are going to use a series of 8th notes played with a 16th note triplet vibe. You'll see what this means once you dig in to the lick. Let's listen to it and let it sink in.

Here is the tablature. This lick has more notes than any of the others in the SABBATH series but the pattern is the same across all three strings so it's not too crazy. It's got a slippery feel to it so just let it breath and don't try to force it. If it comes out of your fingers a bit different than it went in to your ears, that's ok smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached File  10.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 125

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick is the last one connected to the BRIT SABBATH COLLAB by our own GABRIEL LEOPARDI! Here is the link the collab

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...=58700&st=0

*Here is the Backing Track for you to download
Attached File  sabbathbacking.mp3 ( 2.38MB ) Number of downloads: 159

BTW:
This is just a starting point, feel free to add your own flourish during your vid. Add any techniques you lick on top of this to make it your own

Attached Image

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 14 2018, 04:38 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
fzalfa
Jan 16 2018, 08:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is my signle picking take, a bit weird to learn !

Cheers

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2018, 09:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Working on it, don't understand the "triplet feel" but hey ho smile.gif So the first note of each pair is on the beat and the second on the off beat? So 1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&?

I'll post a vid soon, these sequences take a long time to get into my head biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jan 17 2018, 03:57 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here's my take!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2018, 07:24 AM
SCORE!!!! First to FIGHT!! I should have known it would be you! smile.gif Well done here. I was worried that I had yet again lost my mind and was asking way to much. You make it looks simple!! This lick sounds harder than it actually is I think. You did a great job of putting it together. It links up with the previous two licks to make up the BLACK SABBATH SOLO that I did for the SABBATH collab for GABE. So putting the last 3 together works well with the backing. Give it a shot if you can! Or put them together in any order and make it your own thing smile.gif Here is the entire solo put together.

You did a very good job of playing through this without any hiccups. In short you just.

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

So
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jan 16 2018, 03:26 PM) *
Hi Todd

This is my signle picking take, a bit weird to learn !

Cheers

Laurent

NICE!!! Smooth as silk and quite brisk as well!! Like I mentioned to FZALFA, this is the third part of the SABBATH solo which can be built from the past 3 quick licks. Stringing these together works out pretty well so give it a shot if you can!! As for this one, I'm really impressed by just how smoothly you play through this. You are playing quite briskly as well and never miss a beat or rush or lag. You are spot on the entire time. This takes a really good sense of timing and a very good execution. If you drop a single beat, or miss a single strike, it will stick out like a sort thumb. The good news is you DIDN"T MISS ANYTHING!!!! SCORE!!!

ln other words you just KRUSHED it and ...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 16 2018, 10:57 PM) *
Here's my take!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 19 2018, 10:05 PM
First two loops are a bit scruffy, the third one is ok, I left the first two there so you could see the real me rather than a cherry picked version wink.gif

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong please, that I'm playing ahead of the beat, it sounds a bit tighter in the last loop but still ahead, it's hard for me to hear that kind of thing but I'm trying to develop my listening skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQmmodnWZc

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2018, 09:06 PM
NICE!!!! The first two are working up to it but you got it on the last one. You may be playing a pinch ahead of the beat but it's really darn close and as with key it's better to be sharp than flat (ears notice it less in general) it's better to rush a pinch than lag a pinch imho. You are probably thinking about the next note in the sequence, which can lead to either rushing or lagging a pinch as it takes your focus off of the beat. The more you play with a beat source, click, drums, etc. The more you will internalize timing to where it's just natural, you wont need to count time, it will just become part of your being.

As for this one, By George I think you've got it!!!! smile.gif In other words you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Well done!!! BTW love the Crackle on that axe!!! What is that thing?

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 19 2018, 05:05 PM) *
First two loops are a bit scruffy, the third one is ok, I left the first two there so you could see the real me rather than a cherry picked version wink.gif

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong please, that I'm playing ahead of the beat, it sounds a bit tighter in the last loop but still ahead, it's hard for me to hear that kind of thing but I'm trying to develop my listening skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQmmodnWZc

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2018, 09:10 PM
Thanks Todd,

I'm still working away at number 3 too smile.gif It's a tricky one but I want to do them all smile.gif

As for the guitar, that was my first guitar as an adult, I'd had guitars as a teenager but didn't do much with them. It has a bit of Ibanez triva attached to it too. It has PAF PROs in teh bridge and neck and teh stock middle pickup painted silver with a silver paint pen rolleyes.gif It currently has a Schaller trem system on it that is a bit worn so I put a TremelNo on it. It is a Squire HMIII by Fender there is some info HERE but that's not the Ibanez trivia. Apparently when Ibanez saw these, they came out with the S series to compete with it. Now when I first found that out, I'd just bought my first Ibanez, it was an S series and was hanging right there next to my HMIII, I looked up from my computer screen and I couldn't believe the similarity, body shape was practically identical, the only big difference was the heal at the back of the neck was much more streamlined on the Ibby. It took the shine off the Ibby and I soon traded it for an RG1570 wink.gif

The Squire is pretty rare, I've never seen another. I bought it mail order along with the Surfin With The Alien TAB book (ooops) and I hadn't even seen a pic, it was in the clearance list and it said "Squire HMIII Strat in blue black crackle". I was over the moon when I got it out, pointy headstock and that finish. That was around 1991 and I think it cost about £250.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 20 2018, 09:38 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2018, 09:21 PM
Go for it! It's always good to have a complete set smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 20 2018, 04:10 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

I'm still working away at number 3 too smile.gif It's a tricky one but I want to do them all smile.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 20 2018, 09:56 PM
Todd,

You posted your reply before I had added the guitar info, I didn't notice you question about it so took some pics and came back and added them and the info wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2018, 02:42 AM
Thanks! I've always liked Crackle paint jobs smile.gif They seem to be making a bit of comeback. Keisel guitars is even going to offer a crackle paint option so I hear.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 20 2018, 04:56 PM) *
Todd,

You posted your reply before I had added the guitar info, I didn't notice you question about it so took some pics and came back and added them and the info wink.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 21 2018, 11:42 AM
Do you know if that is correct about Ibanez bringing out the S to compete with that guitar?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2018, 10:28 PM
I answered this in the other thread where you mentioned it. It's more likely Fender put out the HMII to compete with Ibby as Ibby S came out a couple years earlier.

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 21 2018, 06:42 AM) *
Do you know if that is correct about Ibanez bringing out the S to compete with that guitar?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 21 2018, 10:59 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 1 2018, 10:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
Did a small "Can I learn this in one minute while rolling the camera"-test smile.gif This is what you get:

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 2 2018, 06:08 AM
BINGO! Nailed it live and for the first time seeing it. Now that is the very definition of a QUICK LICK !!! Learn the lick with the camera rolling! No Pressure eh? smile.gif NIce smile.gif You got a very good handle on this lick and it's got some serious back and forth in it and can really confusion your fingers and brain especially at speed. But I"ve got good news!!

You just completed ALL OF THEM. So not only do you badge up, you the get star of honor for completing every single one!! And the last one you did on the fly with the camera rolling!! Nice.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 1 2018, 05:49 PM) *
Did a small "Can I learn this in one minute while rolling the camera"-test smile.gif This is what you get:

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 21 2018, 10:15 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2018, 02:57 AM
Nice!! Technique is on point. Good mute, good hand position, clean strikes. This lick can be a bit confusing since it has soooo much back and forth in it. The point of all this is to get you used to going back and forth inside of a given scale. If you can get used to this idea, you can use it in ANY scale of any kind at any time. Doing so makes it sound like you are playing a BUNCH of notes when you are in fact playing the same ones over and over by going back and forth internal to a scale. This can create the sound of a long scale run while playing in a single scale position so it's very handy during solo work! Try to work it in to a solo by jamming over a youtube track asap!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 21 2018, 05:15 PM) *
My take Sarge!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 8 2018, 01:05 PM
Learning Roadie
lick 10

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2018, 10:14 PM
Bingo!! This is a bit of a tricky one as it has a lot of back and forth in it. It's a Paul Gilbert style shred lick done as a bluesish lick. I'm doing it rather slowly as 8th notes in the example, but you can certainly speed it up and it will still work. It's a great lick to connect other licks together in a solo. It will fit in just about anywhere in a solo as long as it's in key. Also it can be played at nearly any speed and still sound good in a solo. You can go note by note or shred it and it will still sound spiff. You've got very good hand synch and this looks effortless. You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 8 2018, 08:05 AM) *
lick 10

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 24 2019, 11:23 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:55 AM