2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Imrovising In G !
mattacuk
Jul 19 2007, 12:58 PM
Lets go fishing!
Here goes, im a little nervous posting this. Please be nice im still only a new player! smile.gif

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=503939637648549166

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Jul 19 2007, 01:05 PM
GMC:er
It sounds great Matt....keep up the great work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 01:07 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hey Matt,

Looks like your getting the blues licks down smile.gif

I actually liked it best when you slowed your licks down a bit, they sounded more 'thoughtful' that way.

Keep up the good work,

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 19 2007, 01:18 PM
Lets go fishing!
Wow thanks guys, and some great Tips ben. It gets a bit addictive blazeing around the fretboard, especially now my speed has increased - but your right Ben, when i slow down i play what i feel! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jul 19 2007, 01:22 PM
Pretty cool bro.

I think you should try to land some time on a strong note, after a lick or a bunch of licks.
And work on your vibrato smile.gif
You can practice landing on notes and vibrato at the same time smile.gif

good job wink.gif

- Ezra

ahh I see Benhowell also made that clear smile.gif

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Jul 19 2007, 01:23 PM

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 01:22 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
No problem Matt,

May i ask how long you have been playing?

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 19 2007, 01:23 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (benhowell @ Jul 19 2007, 01:22 PM) *
No problem Matt,

May i ask how long you have been playing?

-Ben

9 months! Since i met Mr Dahls website cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 01:24 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Ah ok, your doing REALLY well then my friend!

thumbs up biggrin.gif

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 19 2007, 01:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (benhowell @ Jul 19 2007, 01:24 PM) *
Ah ok, your doing REALLY well then my friend!

thumbs up biggrin.gif

-Ben

Wow thanks Ben! biggrin.gif And thanks for the tips Ezra - surley worth taking note off! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Jul 19 2007, 01:29 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
No probs,

I thought you were going to say much longer than that-your playing and hand position/technqiue is much more confident than i would have though for only playing 9 months. Id focus on your phrasing-, slow things down a bit, listen to Robben Ford perhaps, and i think you'll be WELL above what you should be for playing that long.

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 19 2007, 01:31 PM
Don't be nervous!!! Us GMC'ers are very accepting.

CODE
Even if it stinks!                          Just Kidding!!!!

Hey Matt, It sounds really cool. I loved the hammer-on pull-offs at around 30 seconds biggrin.gif very nice. Guitar looks sweet, all you need to do now is upgrade it to a wine red gibson like mine tongue.gif

Unfortunately my connection speed is low and i could watch only half as it stops loading. But i added to favourites and promise to watch it next month. Hopefully by that time you will have uploaded some more improv's smile.gif Keep at it Matt!

- Hemlok

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 19 2007, 01:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 19 2007, 01:33 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (benhowell @ Jul 19 2007, 01:29 PM) *
No probs,

I thought you were going to say much longer than that-your playing and hand position/technqiue is much more confident than i would have though for only playing 9 months. Id focus on your phrasing-, slow things down a bit, listen to Robben Ford perhaps, and i think you'll be WELL above what you should be for playing that long.

-Ben

Infact i dont think its even 9 months, 8 !

Hemlok, your Wine Red Gibson is MINE!! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 19 2007, 10:46 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Cool man - you have the Pentatonic down cool.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 20 2007, 09:32 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 19 2007, 10:46 PM) *
Cool man - you have the Pentatonic down cool.gif

Pentatonics - Thats Life! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 25 2007, 01:32 PM
GMC Founder
I agree - very well done for 8 months! I am glad you met Mr Dahl's website! blink.gif

Your improvising needs a pause with a strong note and cool vibrato like Ezra suggested. Check out Lavendell's vibrato lessons!

Well done! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 25 2007, 02:46 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks Kris I will do that ! Maybe someone could explain more about "strong notes" to me?! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 02:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 25 2007, 09:46 AM) *
Thanks Kris I will do that ! Maybe someone could explain more about "strong notes" to me?! smile.gif

Hmm. Well strong notes are .... strong smile.gif

A simple way of approaching this is to use notes within the current chord as string notes - a strong note works with the song and really emphasis the musical ideas you are trying to portray.

For example, in the key of G, playing a chord of G:

G B and D would be strong notes, G and D being the strongest. If for instance you played an A, that would be less strong, but if you were playing a G9, or wanted to create the illusion of a G9, playing an A would work better. In the end it becomes habit.

I never tried to explain this before so should propbably think about it a little more - I'm sure someone else will come up with some suggestions.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 25 2007, 03:11 PM
I think you did a pretty good job.At the rate your at now you will be nailing all these video in no time smile.gif .I would just say to try and stay in key and play it slow first to make it as smooth as possible then speed it up once you got it down.vERY IMPRESIVE though at 9 months.Keep it up man.You can only get better from here as long as you practice daily and stay dedicated.

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 25 2007, 04:05 PM
Wow 9 months?? Man this is freakin great!! Keep up the awesome work man! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 25 2007, 06:13 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 25 2007, 03:57 PM) *
Hmm. Well strong notes are .... strong smile.gif

A simple way of approaching this is to use notes within the current chord as string notes - a strong note works with the song and really emphasis the musical ideas you are trying to portray.

For example, in the key of G, playing a chord of G:

G B and D would be strong notes, G and D being the strongest. If for instance you played an A, that would be less strong, but if you were playing a G9, or wanted to create the illusion of a G9, playing an A would work better. In the end it becomes habit.

I never tried to explain this before so should propbably think about it a little more - I'm sure someone else will come up with some suggestions.

For rock it is actually that simple - the chord notes are the strong ones.

You don't necessarily need to memorise them - if you are jamming in the pentatonic scale the strong notes are never far away. So just experiment and try bending from the different pentatonic notes until it sounds good! Many times you don't even have to bend - just give a pentatonic note some vibrato - and there you have it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:40 AM