2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Rate My Sweep-picking
shredmandan
Aug 8 2007, 11:26 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 8 2007, 06:23 PM) *
Well I would say that the sweep is the technique irrespective of speed. Sure, it is designed to be played fast, that is what it is for, but playing the same action slowly still qualifies as a sweep, its the technique that qualifies it not the speed, and as we all know, playing it slowly is essential to getting it clean and building speed later on.

Good answer smile.gif
Tell you what.I would like to upload some of my sweeps and i will do afew different and slow and you can give me advice on wether it's correct or not.Is that alright?

Shredmandan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Aug 9 2007, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 8 2007, 03:43 PM) *
Friendly relationship and honesty must go together especially among student and teacher! There is no good if say him he is brilliant in sweeping and then he plays a solo to his friend and his friend asks him: "What kind of moron taught you to sweep like that?" and the answer is: "Pavel at GMC!". Not a very good compliment to GMC and me, don't you think? smile.gif

FretDancer is a great guy and he understands that truth sometimes hurts but it also helps to understand the roots of the problem! That way he will have no limits in progress later! smile.gif

Sunshine (like you named it) is necessary but in limited amounts! smile.gif

Keep rocking guys - i'm here to help! smile.gif

Thanks for being honest Pavel., Although it brings a small amount of sadness, it shows me that what you want for me is good progress and correct learning, and I thank you for that. Ill be practicing your earlier Sweeping lessons as i think they are the basic ones. Ill be practicing really hard, and ill upload again in the future.

Again, thanks everyone for their rating and comments. And thanks Pavel for his support, good suggestions and of course, the truth. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 9 2007, 02:14 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 8 2007, 06:26 PM) *
Good answer smile.gif
Tell you what.I would like to upload some of my sweeps and i will do afew different and slow and you can give me advice on wether it's correct or not.Is that alright?
Shredmandan

That's definately allright, but Pavel is the expert, not me - I'm sure he will give you some advice smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 9 2007, 10:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 9 2007, 12:14 AM) *
Im glad you brought this up Pavel,because i dont understand how it can be a sweep at such a low speed?You dont get that lightining sound doing it slow which i believe is sweep.I think many people are confused on what sweep actually is?I am when it comes to speed because i though thats what it was a speed technique.If you can sweep at slow speeds i can definatly do it then i just didnt think it was sweep unless it made that quick sound,.Maybe you could do a lesson to show us sweep at the slowest speed possible. biggrin.gif I just fell that when doing at such a slow speed you can produce the same sound without even using a pick just by hammering and pulling off.Definatly people here need more help on this technique

I'd like to add.Pavel you say you practiced sweep for four hours a day for 3 years??I dont doubt that one bit thats what it takes but did it really take you that long just to get the technique down?Also do you feel you are at a level now that you could sweep anything that anybody in metal and shred are doing right now. biggrin.gif Im interested to hear what you have to say. smile.gif

In order to run you must learn to walk, right? Well this is the same thing! You can't make fast sweeps if you can't hit the correct notes and pick the correct strings at the same time! Same goes for AP - you can't play shred solo if you can't even pick 6 notes in a row to sound good, right?

To master something you must spend enormous amount of time for it - if you really want to master it!
My lessons i did on sweeping so far are just enough to learn basics because i was learning on exercises just like that! Sweeping etude is more difficult so first it's important to learn basic shapes before going on extended shapes!

I've been practicing sweeps for a very long time (long hours each day for 3 years) and i still feel like a noob. I sure can use them in my soloing and playing but there is so much more out there i want to learn with sweeping. It's not even up to a decent speed yet so i'm still practicing basic shapes, than go on extended shapes, than work on combining 5 and 3-string shapes all over the fretboard. Recently i started playing 3-string sweeps starting on 6th, 5th and 4th string - cool stuff but if you have problem with muting now with these basic shapes than don't even try to do it. Unfortunately learning process is a step-by-step process and you have to learn 1 thing to move to another.

And to your last question: no - i can't sweep everything people are sweeping right now. Those sweepers you see out there have practiced sweeping for much more than 3 years so it's all about time spent on a certain technique. I think i have plenty of time as i only play el. guitar for 5 years now (in September it will be 5 years) and i first time tried to play with a pick 5 years ago and i started sweeping 3 years ago so i think i am making a decent progress smile.gif and i am still working on it and plan to work for many years!

Now i am going to your topic so see you there! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 9 2007, 12:13 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 9 2007, 05:12 AM) *
In order to run you must learn to walk, right? Well this is the same thing! You can't make fast sweeps if you can't hit the correct notes and pick the correct strings at the same time! Same goes for AP - you can't play shred solo if you can't even pick 6 notes in a row to sound good, right?

To master something you must spend enormous amount of time for it - if you really want to master it!
My lessons i did on sweeping so far are just enough to learn basics because i was learning on exercises just like that! Sweeping etude is more difficult so first it's important to learn basic shapes before going on extended shapes!

I've been practicing sweeps for a very long time (long hours each day for 3 years) and i still feel like a noob. I sure can use them in my soloing and playing but there is so much more out there i want to learn with sweeping. It's not even up to a decent speed yet so i'm still practicing basic shapes, than go on extended shapes, than work on combining 5 and 3-string shapes all over the fretboard. Recently i started playing 3-string sweeps starting on 6th, 5th and 4th string - cool stuff but if you have problem with muting now with these basic shapes than don't even try to do it. Unfortunately learning process is a step-by-step process and you have to learn 1 thing to move to another.

And to your last question: no - i can't sweep everything people are sweeping right now. Those sweepers you see out there have practiced sweeping for much more than 3 years so it's all about time spent on a certain technique. I think i have plenty of time as i only play el. guitar for 5 years now (in September it will be 5 years) and i first time tried to play with a pick 5 years ago and i started sweeping 3 years ago so i think i am making a decent progress smile.gif and i am still working on it and plan to work for many years!

Now i am going to your topic so see you there! smile.gif

Wow
I thought you had been playing like closer to 8-10 years.Yeah you really have made good with the time you put in. smile.gif Your a perfect example of what a good practice routine will get you over a jam along routine practice like i did for so many years.I felt Metallica was a great band to look up to and learn from.Still think they are for thrash metal style but if you want to be the best at guitar you definatly have to look way further and base what you look up to on the top player's out there in any style. smile.gif

Shredmandan

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:22 PM