9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Ear Training Workout
Phil66
Apr 23 2015, 07:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 23 2015, 02:15 PM) *
Hi Phil! The thread is now moved! It's on the important topics part of the Practice Room sub forum. smile.gif

This is to officially invite every GMCer to start following this workout.

Hello Gab,

It's still in the "Forum topics" section, not pinned to the important topics wink.gif

Can you try to explain something please? My Korg TM-50 is a little bit weird. When I'm checking my voice for the Major 6th (F#) my tuner (I am using the built in mic) jumps rapidly between F# and B. It also does it with the guitar signal from the speakers but not if I plug the guitar in.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2015, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I mean that it's now at important topics when you enter to PRACTICE ROOM sub forum:

Attached Image

About your issue with the tuner, I'm not sure about the reason but maybe there is some kind of fluctuation related to the fact that the sound that reaches the mic is not totally clean / clear. The specific intervals confused could be related to some acoustic / physics concepts related to harmonics.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 24 2015, 08:56 PM
Got it, sorry Gab, my mistake rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2015, 09:51 PM
Instructor
ASSIGNMENT 3: Moving intervals

Hello guys! welcome to the assignment 3 of this workout. In the previous works, you've learnt to play different intervals starting from note A. This "shapes" are movable so you can get the 3 major, or perfect 5th of every note just by keeping the same shape.

For example, this is a major third starting first from A, then from D and finally from F:

Attached Image

2. Exercise

This week's exercise is based on the "movable" concept so you will have to recognize intervals starting from different roots. This makes the recognition more difficult because you lose the previous root reference with each new interval. The exercise requires that you only write the interval heard, not the specific notes.

Attached File  Assignment_3.mp3 ( 1.44MB ) Number of downloads: 112

As this workout is now open for everybody at the Forum, you can share your results here but uploading a txt file to avoid spoilers for other students, ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 26 2015, 09:22 PM
Answers in my thread Gab. Wow, that was hard laugh.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 27 2015, 04:25 PM
Instructor
Thanks Phil and all the other GMCers that have already shared the results with me. You still have a few days to practice on this one before I share the next assignment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
petr
May 2 2015, 07:54 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys,
Gab asked me to share my way of recognizing the basic intervals.
I just associated each interval with a song which starts with that interval. So when I hear an interval, I guess which one it is and I try to sing the first two notes of the song associated with that interval.

Just for example this child song starts with Major 3rd

so when I hear an interval and I think it is a major 3rd, I sing the start of that song which confirms it or not.

My results Attached File  ear_training.txt ( 158bytes ) Number of downloads: 112

Petr

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2015, 07:12 PM
Instructor
ASSIGNMENT 4: Moving intervals Pt. II

Hello guys! welcome to the new assignment for this week. If you've done the previous one you surely noted that we only used 3rd, 5th and octave to make things easier. Now we go one step forward! You have to be able to recognize all intervals that we've learnt starting from different roots.

Exercise

This week's exercise is again based on the "movable" concept so you will have to recognize intervals starting from different roots. This makes the recognition more difficult because you lose the previous root reference with each new interval. The exercise requires that you only write the interval heard, not the specific notes.

Attached File  Assignment_4.mp3 ( 1.85MB ) Number of downloads: 114

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 4 2015, 09:17 PM
QUOTE (petr @ May 2 2015, 07:54 PM) *
Hi guys,
Gab asked me to share my way of recognizing the basic intervals.
I just associated each interval with a song which starts with that interval. So when I hear an interval, I guess which one it is and I try to sing the first two notes of the song associated with that interval.

Just for example this child song starts with Major 3rd

so when I hear an interval and I think it is a major 3rd, I sing the start of that song which confirms it or not.

My results Attached File  ear_training.txt ( 158bytes ) Number of downloads: 112

Petr

Thanks Petra,

That's great. My problem is that I don't know, at the moment, if I'm singing the correct interval without checking on a tuner. I guess I have a long way to go before my mind and ears are working together.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 5 2015, 02:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 4 2015, 05:17 PM) *
Thanks Petra,

That's great. My problem is that I don't know, at the moment, if I'm singing the correct interval without checking on a tuner. I guess I have a long way to go before my mind and ears are working together.

Cheers

Phil

However, I wonder, when singing a very known song, for example "happy birthday", do you notice if you sing it on pitch or not?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 5 2015, 10:06 PM
To be honest Gab, I don't think I do notice if I sing along with recorded version but, as usual don't get time to adjust pitch. It's as though my brain doesn't remember the tune correctly. I guess this comes with time if you aren't born with a good ear. I know this ear training is working though. I was in a bar today and a bloke's phone kept on getting messages, I think I got the intervals that were in the notification but had nothing to check with.
One day, along with this training course which is brilliant, I will be able to work out simple melodies. I'm hoping this course will eventually go down the road of the student having to work out simple 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 note melodies and beyond.

Thanks for this Gab, I really appreciate your help and I'm sure I speak on behalf of all GMCers who are using this course.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2015, 05:51 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for your words. I'm glad that you find this course helpful. There are many students following it, sending me results via PM and also using the mentoring threads. Everybody is getting correct answers so it seems that GMCer's ears are being polished. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 6 2015, 09:18 AM
I'm hoping the day will come when I recognise the interval completely without having to use my guitar and a diagram to work it out cool.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2015, 03:36 PM
Instructor
It will come Phil, just keep on the hard work. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 7 2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks Gab,
I am starting to recognise and play the third and know it's a third, I can hear and play the fifth sometimes but I don't know it's a fifth until i check the diagram.

Hope this makes sense rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
May 9 2015, 11:25 PM
Ello Gab,
Answers to assignment 4 have been put in my thread. Cheers.
biggrin.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 10 2015, 09:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 9 2015, 07:25 PM) *
Ello Gab,
Answers to assignment 4 have been put in my thread. Cheers.
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Checked.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 12 2015, 08:34 PM
Instructor
Ok guys, it's great to receive many answers from students at my personal board and also via PM. Remember that everybody can join, and if you arrived here late, there is no problem, start with the first assignment and write me when it's ready. You can join at any time and take your own time to master the assignments.

A new assignment will be published soon, stay tuned. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 13 2015, 02:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Listened to the track for assignment I once and only once - and wrote down my answers.

Posted them in my thread!

I know for a fact I didn't get them all right but I think I did okay tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: May 13 2015, 02:52 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 13 2015, 04:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Chris S. @ May 12 2015, 10:52 PM) *
Listened to the track for assignment I once and only once - and wrote down my answers.

Posted them in my thread!

I know for a fact I didn't get them all right but I think I did okay tongue.gif

Thanks Chris! I just checked your answers there. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:45 PM