> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Socky42's Music Room, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2015, 04:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ May 30 2015, 03:15 PM) *
Hmm, I was thinking of just doing it on guitar again but I'll look around for a vocalist. Never actually had a vocalist in one of my videos before.

I think that it will work with guitar! but it can also be cool if you work with a vocalist.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
May 31 2015, 07:05 PM
GMC:er
I tried emailing a few but doubt I'd get a reply. Unless you know any singers that would be down for this, I think I'll just play it on guitar. laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2015, 01:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ May 31 2015, 03:05 PM) *
I tried emailing a few but doubt I'd get a reply. Unless you know any singers that would be down for this, I think I'll just play it on guitar. laugh.gif

hahaha yeah, singer are tricky to find, that's why I always recommend guitarists to take singing lessons.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 11 2015, 12:11 AM
Worked out a rough guitar line for the track, made some tweaks to the melody but I think it's still recognizable as the original.
Now I'm just learning the the solo I wrote for it. Left a guitar pro file to it. The string skipping on bars 3 and 4, I moved up to the B and D strings. And the last 4 bars sound a lot more interesting with the demo I posted before.

Not sure what the 'theme' of this solo is, but it feels bouncy if that makes sense; with the string skipping and harmonized parts on bar 7 and 12.

I notice I end a lot of phrases with sustained notes, so it's feels like lick -> sustained end -> next lick most of the time. It works but I feel it's a bit lazy? I dunno.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2015, 02:06 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, this sounds very cool. I like the solo idea. It's true that there are many licks that end with a long sustained note, maybe you could make more use of silences and staccato notes as you did on the last measures. But you have time for this when you record it with your guitar.

Once thing that I like a lot of this one is the tempo and groove, it's perfect and that's not an easy thing to get.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 14 2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna change some of the fast bits in that solo, they're actually pretty hard to play now that I tried recording it. laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-lead-melody-idea

This still needs a bit of tweaking, especially the end of the chorus and maybe some harmonies at 0:22 and 0:54; not sure what harmonies to go for though, when tried doing 3rds above, they don't sound right. Maybe I'll try a harmony below it or just do an octave.

For the chorus, I'll harmonize an octave above just to fill out the sound and change some of the timing.

Any other changes you think I should make?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2015, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, good job with this solo.

I've heard the audio twice and I marked some week points (at 00:22, at 00:31, 00,38) and then I notice that are the same parts that you want to work and improve so I think that you are being clever by marking the parts that you need to improve to make this one killer. That's why I would really like to hear the new version, when will it be ready?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 15 2015, 07:29 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-harmony-idea

Harmonized the first transition lick, added in a drum fill. Sounds a bit better, I'll probably go for a big tom roll or something.

I like the screaming 'half pinch harmonic' bend at 0:31 in the last one I gave you but I have a hard time hitting it properly every time, so it sounds kinda weak. laugh.gif

No idea what to replace the last chorus lick with. Got this descending arpeggio idea that could work, https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-chorus-arp-ending

edit: Here's a variation but I think this general idea is what I'm after, I'll keep tweaking.
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-chorus-arp-ending-2

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jun 15 2015, 07:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2015, 01:52 PM
Instructor
Good ideas Socky. I like how the harmonization sounds there, I think that this kind of arrangement could work in other parts of the solo as well, I think that it fits great with your guitar style and the overall tune.

About the arpeggio, it's not sounding totally natural for me, it's ok, but I know that you can make it better. I can't describe exactly the reason but it's a relation between how long it is and the note choices.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 17 2015, 12:48 AM
I know what you mean but I actually don't know what else to try. laugh.gif

Nothing I play fits.

In the original chorus they just sustain the last note but even with vibrato, doing that on guitar for over 2 bars isn't very interesting and doesn't sound right either.

https://soundcloud.com/socky42/untitled-1

I tried just harmonising my first idea.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jun 17 2015, 01:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 17 2015, 02:22 PM
Instructor
I like this new version. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 17 2015, 10:52 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/apologize-solo-rough

Had to take out the run at the start, didn't really fit. Either going to go back to the original lick or rewrite the bit at 0:10. And I'll be re-recording most of it, just seeing how it translated from guitar pro to audio. Does the transition back into the chorus work?

Here's a guitar pro file of the part at 0:10. It sounds better when it's just the single chord right? I'd go with the original harmonized lick I had, but it's just too fast for me to do it cleanly. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 19 2015, 03:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky, this is evolving really good! I like how this is turning and I think that if you practice it enough to make it sound totally tight, it will be mind blowing. smile.gif

That part at 00:10 sounds great on the guitar pro file, what is exactly the difference or the things that makes it tricky on the real audio track?

The connection with the chorus is cool for me.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 19 2015, 10:59 PM
I don't know what the problem is anymore. laugh.gif I think I had some ear fatigue when I posted, it sounds fine now that I've taken a break. Definitely need some more bass/low mids in the mix though.

I don't find anything tricky in the one you just listened to. The only difference is in the rhythm guitar, to me it seems a bit out of place but maybe it's because I've gotten used to listening to older versions of the solo?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 20 2015, 08:50 PM
Instructor
hahaha yeah, this usually happens, when we are composing music and we feel blocked, we need to give it a rest, give some time and get back with our ears fresh. Again, I think that the arrangement is amazing mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 24 2015, 11:52 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/shake-it-off-basic-midi

Still very simple but here's a quick midi idea for my next video; Shake It Off by Taylor Swift. Start off with some clean/soft piano part then build up to the chorus. The chords at the end of 0:45, I'll use different staccato chords to make it more interesting and for variation; awkward when the progression is Am -> C -> G -> G.

http://www.guitarworld.com/holcomb-mania-m...iff-ideas-video
I'll steal some chords and ideas from here. laugh.gif He talks about substituting power chords with more interesting chords.

And for the verse around 0:52, probably some bass fills in-between the rhythm guitar rests.

After this clip ends, it'll go into a solo section then finish with a fade out chorus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2015, 03:08 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky!! Great job! This sounds very promising. I checked the first minutes from that video and I have to say that the tips are fantastic and that can be totally applicable in your style so I'm sure that it will open new horizons.

Can't wait to hear this one with real guitars!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 27 2015, 11:21 AM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/shake-it-off-basic-midi

Got the solo section done, just need to start practicing and hope I can play everything. I'll need to tweak some of the faster runs but nothing seems too hard.

Kinda wish I could write solos like this without doing it all in guitar pro. laugh.gif Think that'll be my big goal for next year.

Any harmonies seem off?

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jun 27 2015, 11:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 27 2015, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky! This is evolving really good! I like the "oriental" feel that the harmonies are giving to this. There are some little moments where you could tweak a bit the harmonies, but as the overall has an exotic feel, I think that it's not very dramatic. Just identify those parts that go too off and try if making it more "tonal" helps. If not, I think that you can go with this since it makes the track sound very original to me.

Keep on the great job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 27 2015, 11:01 PM
I can hear the oriental influence now that you mention it! Guess that's what happens when you use pentatonics. I normally mix harmonies pretty low anyway, so it should sound fine. I'll tweak it when I record it.

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jun 27 2015, 11:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:55 AM