Need Help For My Guitar Exam
guitargod
May 5 2007, 09:38 AM
GMC:er
dudes, i need to create my own solos in the Cmajor scale for my guitar exam, but i am nt very sure about how to go about creating my own solos in the Cmajor scale, can someone help me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 5 2007, 11:18 AM
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 5 2007, 03:38 AM) *
dudes, i need to create my own solos in the Cmajor scale for my guitar exam, but i am nt very sure about how to go about creating my own solos in the Cmajor scale, can someone help me?

Just listen to some famous major scale based solos. I would not make a big deal what key they are in, if you are talking about electric, just transpose them.

Key still plays a significance in matching the singers' vocal ranges. But way overblown in significance now. A and E got rooted because in the early 20th century for blues acoustic, well the open string chords in standard turning really supported those keys. And electric evolved from that. When I play an open string, it is for effect. But in the course of things, I don't primarily rely on that on electric guitar.

I can think of a few reasons why key still has some significance, maybe theoretical. However I think we can assume that it plays much less a significance than in the past, or it should play much less significance, when dealing with electronic instruments. So in answer to your question, I would just pick any major scale based solos, transpose them to C, and analyze them.

You can identify these because they will have the basic Maria Von Trapp sound. If you imagine yourself running though the Alps singing songs and holding hands with a bunch of school children wearing lederhosen, then the song you are listening to is undoubtably major scale based.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 5 2007, 12:10 PM

+Quote Post
guitargod
May 5 2007, 12:08 PM
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 5 2007, 09:38 AM) *

what are the famous solos in cmajor scale then? examples?

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 5 2007, 12:21 PM
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 5 2007, 06:08 AM) *
what are the famous solos in cmajor scale then? examples?

I will look up a few on youtube. Just a second....

This one is on the top 100 list. Often these songs have a very tiny bit of blues in it, but primarily it is major.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifff5NbKQZI

I will come up with a few more that are famous.

I take it back, on that one he got a bit bluesy. probably embarrassed to be pure major. on his studio recording it is more pure major.

here is a totally major song, first Fleetwood Mac with the Americans. Lindsay Buckinham was really a pretty good guitarist. This is pure major I would say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtKof6G5iw

Just look for something that sounds like that. Anything that you might be embarrassed to let anyone know you are listening to.

ok, here is Allman Brothers from 1982, about as major scale as I can come up with, and on the top 100 list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfM6nRVBvGs

That is Dickie Betts on the gold top. It takes a Les Paul to get that sound. That might be a 57, not sure. I have a 58 Reissue, you really want to sound good, and play lyrically like that, you need a nice Les Paul. For the sustain if nothing else. You can do more with the sound, because you don't need to rely on the effects as much to get the sustain.

a later one by the same band, Blue Skies, also on the top 100 list I think. Betts sure looks different, but still plays the gold top I see.

One can argue that there is a blues element, but it is slight. These are primarily major scale songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1jpQu6qR1E...ted&search=

here is the only modern guitarist that I have not found to be kind of boring you have the basic Eric Johnson sound, which is pentatonic. But he then goes off into a major sound, the part that get right and bubbly. So you can see the contrast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAF2b6fcAQc

You definitely want to listen to this dvd from Austin City Limits if you have not. This was probably his best period. When I say best I don't mean most technically proficient. I am sure he improved in that way. By best I mean, people listen to him, and like his sound the most. Emotions are bought out. That is what I mean by best. I am sure he is more technically proficient now, but that was his best period regardless, and he will probably never recapture that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 5 2007, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 5 2007, 01:54 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 5 2007, 04:38 AM) *

Hi Guitargod - I'll tell you what I can, but at the end of it all its very hard to teach creativity, that has to come from you smile.gif

The elements of a good solos comes from four places I would say:

- Knowledge of your musical language (e.g. the scales you will use)
- Study of the genre(s) you are interested in
- Developing a library of YOUR chops
- Playing against the chord sequence to find chops notes and runs that sound good together

All of this takes time to do of course, so if your exam is next week you need to get right on it!

So, lets look at each of these in turn.

1. Knowledge of your musical language

You have said that your solo should be in C major, ok, the first thing you need to do is make sure you know how to play that scale well. Knowing all the boxes will help. This will give you the palette of notes you are selecting from - you can use any of these at any time, putting them together in a pleasing order is the important part.

2. Study of the genre

Is this to be a metal solo? An Acoustic solo? They sound very different and use different techniques. Unless you are trying to invent your own new sound, you will probably want to zero in on a particular style or handful of guitarists and play in a similar way to them. Set your guitar up to sound similar (not necessarily identical) and listen to their songs. Pick out elements that they have in common, listen to the licks each guitarist has and try to play them (tabs are great for this). Most guitarists have a number of licks they use time after time. You can pick them up and use them too.

fkalich has given you some excellent advice in this area.

3. Your chops

If you are dilligent with number 2, you will be developing a library of licks and chops of your own that you can deploy easily since you have practiced them a lot. You are on your way to building your own unique style, based on the style of a number of other guitarists, and increasingly stuff of your own. This is your raw material for putting together a solo.

4. Playing

You probably already have a chord sequence in mind, if not you need to figure one out (which is a subjecy for a nother post). Record it, put it in guitar pro, or use some other means of playing it in a loop again and again. Keep trying stuff against it until you get something you like. Remember it. Eventually you will have a list of chops and notes that seem to fit in well. Arrange them in some sort of order and you have your solo.

Thats the process - maybe you will need help with the individual steps, so feel free to ask fot further advice on any of this!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: May 5 2007, 01:54 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
CrashOops
May 11 2007, 03:53 AM
what an amazing post Andrew. I think I'll have to try and start doing that smile.gif

oh and good luck on writing your solo. I'd like to hear it when you get it done guitargod

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:35 AM