Downstrokes Or Alternate Picking? Help!
Kalidia
Aug 21 2011, 11:28 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm not sure how to play some metal riffs, considering the intro riff of these 2 songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDTmKNl3e6Q

Do i have to use alternate picking or only downstrokes? i'm confuse huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2011, 01:18 PM
GMC Founder
Both tunes sound like they could be played with downstrokes only.

However there is nothing wrong with first attempting with alternate picking (that's why I would do - since I am not very fast at downpicking-only).

And the when you feel you want to improve on the attack/tone try to switch to downpicking only!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 21 2011, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
As Kris asid there are no right answer to this question. It can be played with bot AP and Downstroke. Its a matter of personal preference. I would propobly use downpicking then i get i chunkier sound

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 21 2011, 02:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kalidia @ Aug 21 2011, 11:28 AM) *
I'm not sure how to play some metal riffs, considering the intro riff of these 2 songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDTmKNl3e6Q

Do i have to use alternate picking or only downstrokes? i'm confuse huh.gif

Hi there. I know for a fact that Painkiller is played with AP smile.gif

The Hammerfall song I would play with AP too. The challenge with riffs like these is that you need to use AP but at the same time there are certin notes that need to be palm muted but some notes are meant to ring out more. I guess you could say it's all about 'accents'. It's very hard to play the Painkiller riff and make it sound like the record.. even Priest can't quite get it to sound the same. I think the key with that riff is that Glenn Tipton plays with his thumb very close the the strings so it gives lots of notes a harmonic edge to them, which some people can only get with down picking. But it's definitely all AP.. you need to get a bright tone with lots of distortion which helps the accented notes leap out.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2011, 06:57 PM
Instructor
As written above, it is indeed a matter of personal choice. AP is always easier in my opinion and offers some kind of fluid sound, but down strokes give you that chunk and specific rhythmic sound. I say, experiment and let your ears decide wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kalidia
Aug 22 2011, 09:25 AM
Learning Roadie
ok thanks everyone! The hammerfall riff is challenging for me in AP, maybe will be a good exercise smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2011, 09:33 AM
Instructor
Every habit breaking exercise can turn into a wonderful discovery smile.gif look at it like that wink.gif who knows what might come up?

QUOTE (Kalidia @ Aug 22 2011, 08:25 AM) *
ok thanks everyone! The hammerfall riff is challenging for me in AP, maybe will be a good exercise smile.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 24 2011, 04:38 PM
Instructor
pain killer is kind of a tricky one because you need to combine pull offs as well and it's done with alternate picking, the best thing is to figure it out with AP and play it very slowly so that every note is correct then increment tempo

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:39 AM