Quick Licks #55- Shred Licks (alternate Picking / String & Fret Traverse)
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2018, 08:43 PM
GMC:er
REMINDER:
THERE IS NO SPEED REQUIREMENT IN QUICK LICKS. PLAY THIS AT ANY SPEED YOU LIKE.
This is a SHRED LICK. If you want to add a bit of shreddery to your bag of tricks. This is the lick for you. It's not a Looping lick so you can just play it once. It's more like the BEN HIGGINS approach of burst playing. It's not a Paul Gilbert style looping lick that requires top speed for a long time. It's a short lick that will let you feel what it's like to shred a bit. smile.gif

*NOTE: Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch.
Attached File  55.gp5 ( 1.76K ) Number of downloads: 8833

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This lick works slow or fast so don't feel like you have to shred it up. The vid is just to show you what it can sound like with practice Try the Ben Higgins Burst approach and play one loop briskly, or even part of a loop to see what it will feel like to play it fast.

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 25 2018, 02:47 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 24 2018, 08:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
That's a new one. I've seen guitarists play stuff behind their back, with their teeth, but never seen anyone stand on their heard upside down while playing.

Hinting at the fact that the tab picture is upside down?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2018, 09:01 PM
I notice that right after the post. Thanks for the head ups though wink.gif I made a new one. Love to see you give it a go!! I don't think it would take you very long. Your camera setup looks ready to go from your streaming vid which is spiff!
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 24 2018, 03:45 PM) *
That's a new one. I've seen guitarists play stuff behind their back, with their teeth, but never seen anyone stand on their heard upside down while playing.

Hinting at the fact that the tab picture is upside down?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 24 2018, 09:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very quickly done take, kinda got it right at the end:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 24 2018, 10:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take one for scrutiny Todd. I struggle with speed playing, I think I'm too tense. Ben picked it up in no time, I guess I need to try to relax more. I did try hammering on but my fingers got confused. Not enough familiarity with the notes I guess.

https://youtu.be/kJ7q3cCd1AE

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 24 2018, 10:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2018, 02:41 AM
I hope people take the time to watch this!!!!! It's a PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT example of how to learn a lick. Key in on the "core" of the lick, what is the lick about? Which you do and then you loop the core lick. Then you add the other bits. You stumble just a bit then work through it and NAIL IT at speed in under a minute. You sir have a gift. I have not seen anyone else able to work it out this quickly. I really hope other folks do this kind of vid to and show their progress leading up to the final lick. Sadly, while I'd be inspired by this vid, some people will be made to feel shy by it and not want to follow you lead. I hope that doesn't happen. Anyhoo, You just .....
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 24 2018, 04:28 PM) *
Very quickly done take, kinda got it right at the end:

NICE!! That's some of the best alternate picking / traverse that I think I've ever seen you play!! You have made serious gains on your playing my friend and it's great to see. About a year ago this would have been a bit more difficult for you but now you burn right through it!! As for Ben, he has a natural gift for picking things up very very quickly. I have seen him learn complex bits within just a few minutes. Sometimes he records the vid showing his learning process which I think is very spiff as well. He also knows the core of this lick from previous work as it's a core Paul Gilbert lick based on the "Back and Forth" technique. It's important to be inspired by really good playing and by good players. Some folks let it have the exact opposite effect and it throws them off their game instead of giving them something to work towards. I gotta say you have inspired me with your progress. This is a complex lick that is based on a very technical shred bit of alt picking and fret/string traverse. You play it quite well and you gotta be happy about that! Well done. You just....
LEVELED UP!!!!
*You remain our TOP DAWG!!! The Highest Ranking Quick Licks badge EVER. Nice!
Attached Image
Todd
[size="4"][/size]
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 24 2018, 05:03 PM) *
Take one for scrutiny Todd. I struggle with speed playing, I think I'm too tense. Ben picked it up in no time, I guess I need to try to relax more. I did try hammering on but my fingers got confused. Not enough familiarity with the notes I guess.

https://youtu.be/kJ7q3cCd1AE

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 25 2018, 02:34 AM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Dec 29 2018, 10:12 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2018, 02:29 AM
BINGO!! You got it smile.gif That's the idea. This is a great way to run any scale. Once you understand the note sequence, you can apply it to pretty much any scale you want. You have a very goodstart on being able to shred this bit like crazy. With a bit more practice, it will be studio ready!It's plenty ready enough for Quick Licks. Your Hand Synch is a pinch off in spots but that's
probably due to the lick being new and playing it briskly. The important thing is you havepicked up on how to play this complex sequencing. To get better hand synch, try loopingthis with a metronome or software drums, anything to have a reference beat. Gettingboth hands to do the same thing at the same time does take work but it's worth doing.Keep this lick in your practice routine until you can shred it with perfect hand synch andyou will be ready for pretty much any REC lesson that is heavy on right/left hand synchronization!For now you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Dec 29 2018, 05:12 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 30 2018, 02:32 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2019, 07:45 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2019, 06:11 AM
Niiiiiicccceee!! This is a tricky bit to play at speed and you rip right through it. Several times actually just to make sure smile.gif Not a hop, skip or jump anywhere. Smooth, precise, brisk and under control. Impressive to be sure. This one requires precision and that's what you show here. The mute never lifts, the picking never gets wonky, timing is solid, it's all there. Yet again, another fine performance. Well played sir!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 19 2019, 02:45 PM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 29 2021, 12:26 AM
Learning Roadie

All these Quick Licks I've been doing lately seem to go along with the Bootcamp lessons

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2021, 03:53 AM
You got it Soldier!! They are meant to work together in a sort of synergy. The quick licks are graded a bit lighter than the bootcamp stuff, but they do cover a lot of similar ground. I'd probably ask you to run this one a few more times in boot camp to see if you could get a bit more shreddy with it. You've got the lick down though which is awesome! I love running scales using this approach. It will work on any scale once you understand the pattern. It's a great way to build tension in a solo. Good technique on deck. You just..

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Jan 28 2021, 07:26 PM) *

All these Quick Licks I've been doing lately seem to go along with the Bootcamp lessons

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:07 AM