2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hard To Slide, old strings?
kaznie_NL
Apr 23 2009, 07:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey GMC,

I think my strings are on my guitar for about... two months? ATM i'm having big difficulties sliding! It just seems to go very heavy. When I pick up the guitar, sometimes it slides fluid, but after some minutes things become harder and harder. I use FastFret, but applying it doesn't help, not applying it doesn't help eiter tongue.gif Could this be due to old strings?

Kaz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Apr 23 2009, 07:29 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well I kept my factory strings on for almost a year, and I never had any trouble. It doesn't cost much to replace them though so you might as well give it a try.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 23 2009, 07:35 PM
GMC:er
I use this and also never had any problems smile.gif I recommend it to everyone! Strings even sounds better with that conditioner. http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=pr...=products/herco
Also Kaznie, remember to clean up strings every time you finish to play (if you don`t) with piece of cloth or smth, and you`ll see some dirty lines on cloth smile.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 23 2009, 07:35 PM

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Apr 23 2009, 08:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 23 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Also Kaznie, remember to clean up strings every time you finish to play (if you don`t) with piece of cloth or smth, and you`ll see some dirty lines on cloth smile.gif

Alex is right on the spot here. Those products, like Fast Fret, on my experience only contributes to generate rust on the strings. So if you do use them I recommend to clean your strings before and after you play the guitar. I do that every time I play and I don't even use those products. The problem is the oils that your hand produces when you play.

I hope this helps wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Apr 23 2009, 09:07 PM
Instructor
I have the string conditioner from dumlop. it works so good, protecting the string from oxygen and extending its bright. but a luthier friend of mine has told me last Monday that this kind of product are so corrosive for the wood. so, if you use it, you have to clean the wood up.
another option is the common Alcohol, put some on a piece of cloth and travel along the string a few times.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 23 2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor
Try to swap the string Kaz, if you play a lot, one month strings can detune and degrade.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 23 2009, 09:53 PM
Instructor
I would change strings as well, no doubt.
2 months can be a lot if you play frequently.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 23 2009, 10:00 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Change strings for sure- possibly think about changing to Elixir if you don't like having to change often.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Apr 23 2009, 10:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 23 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Change strings for sure- possibly think about changing to Elixir if you don't like having to change often.

+1 wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 23 2009, 11:18 PM
Instructor
It might be dryness in your fingers too.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Apr 24 2009, 02:47 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 23 2009, 06:18 PM) *

Often you can find sets of strings for a special value, normally like 3-5 packs. I recommend you look into this if you play often, as i do. I play for a couple hours a day, sometimes more and after a month or two, I like to change them out so I can bend without worrying about them breaking and I get better tone, slide, and vibrato.

Enjoy.

P.S. Elixer's are nice but are pricey and, in my opinion, you are better off buying a multiple packs at a discount and having them handy.

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Apr 24 2009, 03:13 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Apr 23 2009, 05:00 PM) *

I changed to Elixir strings about 6 weeks ago and I am not going to look back. These are very consistent sounding and stay clean while lasting longer than any other string I have played. They also feel very slick and smooth so you will need to allow some time for the change. Things will feel slick at first and your bends might be a little harder to hold on to but you will get use to it and love it. This is mho!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Skalde
Apr 24 2009, 11:59 AM
Learning Roadie
I use my DR strings for about 6 monts now. I plan to change them soon, though biggrin.gif I think, I am a pretty lazy string changer.
If you buy DR strings, buy the normal ones, not the Dimbag signature edition, they cost the half and are exactly the same(my experience)
dry.gif

This post has been edited by Skalde: Apr 24 2009, 12:00 PM

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Apr 24 2009, 12:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
+1. It's usually always my fingers that are the problem.

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Apr 23 2009, 11:18 PM) *

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 24 2009, 04:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Apr 24 2009, 01:16 PM) *
+1. It's usually always my fingers that are the problem.

I didn't have it before, so I guess it's not my fingers. Although it could be the thicker "shield' on my fingers (how do you English people call it? the layer of dead skin...)

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 24 2009, 04:29 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Apr 24 2009, 06:18 PM) *
I didn't have it before, so I guess it's not my fingers. Although it could be the thicker "shield' on my fingers (how do you English people call it? the layer of dead skin...)

Nah, I have there elephant skin laugh.gif And no problem even with sliding on 0.60 string. Hmm maybe that fast fret is not really good for strings? Especcialy if you didn`t clean up those after\before playing. Wait what strings do you use?

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Apr 24 2009, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Apr 24 2009, 04:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
They're called callouses smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Apr 24 2009, 04:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Apr 24 2009, 05:29 PM) *
Nah, I have there elephant skin laugh.gif And no problem even with sliding on 0.60 string. Hmm maybe that fast fret is not really good for strings? Especcialy if you didn`t clean up those after\before playing. Wait what strings do you use?

D'addario 0.09's

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 24 2009, 04:42 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I found that fast fret was really nice and slippery for the first 5 minutes, then it would make slides and general playing alot harder, same thing happened whenever i'd re-apply so i quickly stopped using it.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Apr 24 2009, 04:44 PM
Well D`addario are good strings, must be problem with that Fastfret thing then..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:32 PM