Looking For New Studio Monitors, Any advice is appreciated!
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 02:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I got lucky, as it's bonus time at work again wink.gif . So, I decided that I would like to get some nice, good quality studio monitors for me to use at home, together with my POD Studio UX2 audio interface.

At home I barely play with my Fender/Marshall amps anymore, so I would like to invest a bit of money for good quality monitors. I believe I need active studio monitors to connect them directly to the line-outs of the UX2, so I was thinking of buying these:

KRK VXT 2 , 6 or 8 (goes for € 300 to € 500 per monitor)

or these:

KRK Rokit 5, 6 or 8 (goes for € 150 to € 250 per monitor)

Is the extra money really worth the VXT series, given my requirements (I find € 500 in total on monitors already good enough tongue.gif) and do you think it's a good choice anyways?

If so, which of the three watts are you advising for home use (it needs to have a decent overcapacity though).

Many thanks for your help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Mar 6 2009, 03:02 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SensE
Mar 6 2009, 02:58 PM
GMC:er
I will go for VXT then ! I'm using the M-Audio BX8A Deluxe series, it turned out very good. You may want to consider that as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 6 2009, 03:08 PM
Instructor
I think Rokit 8 is the way to go, because it's cheaper and it has a broader sound response, but in the end any of these will do the job nicely.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 6 2009, 03:09 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 03:09 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 6 2009, 03:08 PM) *
I think KRK 8 is the way to go, because it's cheaper and it has a broader sound response, but in the end any of these will do the job nicely.

Well the KRK 8 is the most expensive one of them all I think?

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
skennington
Mar 6 2009, 04:02 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I own a set of the 5's and think they are pretty good bang for the buck. 75w bi-amped power which is more than enough for me in my home. The frequency response is a little muddy in the mid-range, but again, for what they cost, not a bad deal. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 6 2009, 04:30 PM
I got a great deal on a pair of Numark M80's!!! These ones here for £149!!! I actually got mine for less that that but it was through someone else!

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Mar 6 2009, 04:34 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 04:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
After reading quite a lot on in the internet:

What about these:

- Yamaha HS80M (€ 500 / set)
- Behringer B3031A (€ 400 / set)

I read that the Behringer actually delivers top quality for a very decent price?

I would say that € 500 is about the most I wanna spend on these monitors. Are these two suitable to use in my bedroom for DAW recording without any subwoofer as well?

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
enforcer
Mar 6 2009, 04:51 PM
I would recommend no behringer for sound output/processing/input/mixing unit

but you might want to take a look at "Event Tr6" I ve been using them for about 1.5 years and no complaints here...

Just a word of advice, you may have to say good bye to you WMA or some MP3's as with studio monitors, you can definitely tell the difference between them and audio CDs or uncompressed Wavs laugh.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 6 2009, 06:08 PM
Instructor
For that amount of money have you thought about a Dynaudio?
http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/prof/bm.php

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 6 2009, 06:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just bought a set of Yamaha HS50M .. can not really say how they compare to the others, but i was somehow preprogramed for Yamaha as i owned once a pair of the classic NS-10 smile.gif

I don't wanted them to be too big, otherwise i would have taken the HS80M

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 6 2009, 06:56 PM
I have the Alesis M1 Active MKII's

I LOVE them.

Here are some B-stock ones from MF. Not sure what the cost would be in euros.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=603227V

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 6 2009, 07:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot guys for the advices, keep them coming though as it will surely help making up my mind before trying a couple.

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
jer
Mar 6 2009, 07:25 PM
if you can try them at the store I suggest this.

1. take a uncompressed file of a favorite song. Something you are VERY familiar with (aiff or something better)
2. take one of a mix of your own too.

Take a cd/usb stick whatever formats you can

Demo that song on different models. Dont rely on them to have something good to demo.

Make sure you have a decent return policy just in case.

Remember balanced cables to go from the UX to the monitors.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Schumi Jr
Mar 6 2009, 09:36 PM
If using for straight guitar as well as studio mixing, AND you can a decent distance away from them (i.e. they aren't sitting on your computer desk next to your computer monitor) I'd recommend taking a look at the Event TR8XL's.

I went through several studio monitors, and while many are great for studio mixing, most of them lacked the bottom end I was looking for when using as speakers connected to a Pod X3 or similar setup. The TR8XL's have about as much bottom as you're gonna get without a dedicated sub (which is another option).

But with the TR8XL's, as with most 8"ers, you need some room between yourself and the monitors. If the monitors are going to be on a desk right in front of you, then I'd recommend 5" or 6" monitors.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 6 2009, 11:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Mar 6 2009, 03:09 PM) *
Well the KRK 8 is the most expensive one of them all I think?

Sorry I meant Rokit, made a typo there. I edited Rokit 8 instead of KRK 8.
Rokit series are a lot cheaper than VXT. Rokit 8 goes around 500$ pair, while VXT 8 goes around 1200$.

If you plan to spend some 400-500e on monitors there are some good choices out there. Generally speaking any monitor in that price range will not dissapoint you, and I recommend:

Tannoy Reveal 5A
Yamaha HS80M
ADAM Audio A7

All 3 models are in similar price range, and they are all awesome, so I recommend them. But in the end, the best way to buy monitors, is to take audio recording that you are familiar with (like a song that you've listened many times on your setup), and play it in the store on various monitoring systems. What you like the best is what you buy.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 6 2009, 11:41 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 8 2009, 11:36 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I'd go for Event monitors, as I've hadRK in the past. And while they're great, I find Events to be better..
But the VXTs should be great monitors, so I think you'll be happy whatever you choose smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 8 2009, 01:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you are looking to spend somewhere in the region of 500 dollars or more then I would strongly recommend that you also spend some money on some decent stands and acoustic treatment. Lots of home studios have reasonable monitors but don't have them fitted and positioned properly - they then ended up with lack of bass, coloration, poor stereo imaging and a stereo field that wanders about.

Using a UX2 with monitors that cost 500 dollars each ohmy.gif . TBH I'm not sure that is the way to go but since you already have the UX2...

...for 500 dollars per monitor:

Mackie 624
Genelec 8050
Adam A7
Tannoy Reveal 8D

For 250:

KRK RP6 G2
Genelec 6010

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:58 PM