Compressor Use
Timmez
Aug 15 2016, 03:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello guys.

I have a compressor nut don't know where to use it.
On my effectboard i have a reverb, delay, multi modulation, overdrive, distortion, and a wah wah.

I don't know how to use my compressor while a lot of People say that its important to use.

Greetz tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 15 2016, 10:12 PM
GMC Founder
The most obvious use for it, is for clean sounds.

It can help you get a tight clean rhythm sound, give you arpeggiated chords more sustain, and also help your clean lead sound get juicier and "easier" to solo with.

It's been a while since I used analog pedals - but for clean sounds placement in the chain should not be that important. I think in the beginning of your chain (right after the guitar) should be fine.

If you want to use it with your overdrive/distortion pedals (distortion is a kind of compression btw), I think the most common placement is after them. However for distorted legato runs it can also be cool to have a compressor before the gain stages - as this will help "fix" problems with uneven playing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 15 2016, 11:04 PM
GMC:er
Many can live without a compressor, its not essential to be honest but it can help make things easier.

Maybe it can be said a compressor does what you can't do with a pick. You can get that extra/alternate slap on a clean sounded amp or any behavior you'd expect to hear from your guitar. Compressor can be a bit tricky when learning as its not like many fx on how you approach so give it time.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:57 PM