Plausible Ear Training Program?
shellshock1911
Dec 31 2007, 10:56 PM
GMC:er
My friend wants to get this program but to me it looks like scam, like most "guarenteed to work instantly and quickly" programs. What do you guys think?

http://www.perfectpitch.com/home.htm

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Dec 31 2007, 11:05 PM
Looks like a Scam. Some are born with Perfect Pitch, others develop it over years and years of playing and some never get it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 31 2007, 11:09 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well I bought a fretboard trainer, obviously completely different to these claims. I did learn the entire fretboard but it took me 6 months of hard slog to complete the course.... If i hadnt been out of work i never could have completed it, not in a million years!!

This is an all together incredible claim, I would be warey of parting with you cash! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Dec 31 2007, 11:12 PM
Yea it is $140 lol. I am noticing progress in my relative ear training from just a $15 book I bought with a CD. I can hear a note and humm any interval from that note and it is usually right, don't know if that is progress though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 1 2008, 12:14 AM
I play piano and for the tests there are aural parts so my paino teacher makes me do aural things. I think it's a very big advantage to play piano because to play guitar you need technique AND theory and learning theory with the piano really helps.

EDIT: Example: I can tell what the intervals are between two notes and stuff.
EDIT: And learning theory isn't too hard at all.

This post has been edited by Tomy Jeon: Jan 1 2008, 12:16 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jan 1 2008, 12:55 AM
QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Jan 1 2008, 12:14 AM) *
I play piano and for the tests there are aural parts so my paino teacher makes me do aural things. I think it's a very big advantage to play piano because to play guitar you need technique AND theory and learning theory with the piano really helps.

EDIT: Example: I can tell what the intervals are between two notes and stuff.
EDIT: And learning theory isn't too hard at all.

I went to my dad's new girlfriends house like three weeks ago and there was a tiny little toy keyboard with like 20 keys. Once I deciphered B-C from E-F, I was able to play like the entire Tornado of Souls song minus the solo on the little thing, which I still can't do on guitar and I have been practicing it a lot lol. After that I have been thinking about learning how to play but is keyboard a reliable way to learn piano? I prefer piano but don't want to spend $10,000 lol.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Jan 1 2008, 12:56 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Jan 1 2008, 01:09 AM
You can get a decent keyboard for much less than 10,000.
Look at some digital pianos...you can get the full 88 keys if you want, but 61 will do fine for learning purposes. I think it's more important that the keys are full size and that they are touch-sensitive. Then everything will translate to an upright or a grand if you want to. Weighted keys are nice, also.
I have a Casio portable 61 key portable that suits me fine.
If you're interested, check out this link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/...N=100001+304698

It helps with theory, too. Not that the guitar is impossible, but everything is more or less in plain sight on the keys; the notes only increment in one dimension (one note=one key).

Anyway, I ramble on.

I have looked at that Perfect Pitch ad before. I have never seen or tried the actual product, but I've heard that the course is very time-intensive and that results are slow. I don't know how much better it is than just developing your relative pitch, and I'd also be wary of any "guaranteed" results.

Best of luck.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jan 1 2008, 01:44 AM
I have a keyboard but I didnt have to pay a cent because someone was throwing it otlut and no I'm not a trash collector but this is like brand new and works great but I don't play it anyway

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jan 1 2008, 01:55 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Jan 1 2008, 01:44 AM) *
I have a keyboard but I didnt have to pay a cent because someone was throwing it otlut and no I'm not a trash collector but this is like brand new and works great but I don't play it anyway

Yea yardsales and dumpsters are a great way to get stuff. My friend goes to computer stores and takes high dollar stuff that has been outdated just a little bit out of the dumpster and sells it on ebay for money lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 1 2008, 04:14 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 1 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Yea yardsales and dumpsters are a great way to get stuff. My friend goes to computer stores and takes high dollar stuff that has been outdated just a little bit out of the dumpster and sells it on ebay for money lol.

laugh.gif

Yeah, you can get good pianos for less than $10000. You can get a decent piano for less than $5000.

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 1 2008, 02:41 PM
Instructor
I had one Book&CD for that - "Ultimate Guitar Training" from Hal-Leonard publisher. It really helped me with my interval in the early days.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Jan 1 2008, 08:42 PM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Dec 31 2007, 10:56 PM) *
My friend wants to get this program but to me it looks like scam, like most "guarenteed to work instantly and quickly" programs. What do you guys think?

http://www.perfectpitch.com/home.htm

It's not a scam.
And it does not claim that you can get it in 7 days. smile.gif

I believe that you can develop perfect pitch (or getting close to it) over time.
And then it does not hurt to follow a course.

It is a practice regime more than anything else - so..
It all depends.

It does not work for everyone - you need lots of patience and lots of time - and then it works best if you've played your instrument long enough to be familiar with it's tone/timbre.

It is not a hoax, and I do recommend getting the course.
However, I think there are other options woth looking into.
If he wants to train his musical ear, I'd recommend that he looks into EarMaster.
Great program. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by jacmoe: Jan 1 2008, 08:45 PM

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 1 2008, 09:34 PM
Get to da Chopper!
EarMaster Pro works great!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:28 AM