Snackajacks Alternate Picking Practice Room
maharzan
Aug 5 2012, 05:15 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey snakajacks!

Just creating this thread so you can post videos or ask questions about Alternate Picking or any other topic. I will try my best to help what I have learnt. smile.gif

Cheers!
Chandra

Marc,

So, here is one the first exercises that I did with Muris to break my speed limit. You can probably post a video for this after you master it. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=433898

Thanks,
Chandra

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
snackajacks
Aug 5 2012, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
Yes, I will start at 30bpm and make my way up to 120. I will post at

Goals :

- Learning Riff @ 40bmp
- 60bmp
- 80bmp
- 100bmp
- Finishing touch @120bmp

August 06 : This evening I have learned the riff, So I don't have to look at the tab every time and I did it at 40bpm to start with.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MaharzanMentoring40bpm.wav ( 3.56MB ) Number of downloads: 80

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 6 2012, 03:05 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great. That tone sounds awesome. smile.gif I am glad you chose a clean tone. I was a distortion fanatic. biggrin.gif

I would love to see your development. Can you post videos? That would make it easier to see how you are playing and if it needs any improvement, I can comment on that. I think you are picking the note for a short time only giving it a staccato effect (if thats what is called). I still suffer from this too at times. It should be gone with practice. And maybe this is because its just a first try. smile.gif The note should ring until you pick another note and that will give you a smoother sound plus a good tone (illusion I guess).

Looking forward to another take. smile.gif

One thing to note: Feel comfortable at current tempo before moving up. As muris mentioned, muscle memory is important at high speeds. If your left hand flows smoothly, picking it at higher speed comes automatically. It feels much easier. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 6 2012, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 6 2012, 02:05 AM) *
Great. That tone sounds awesome. smile.gif I am glad you chose a clean tone. I was a distortion fanatic. biggrin.gif

I would love to see your development. Can you post videos? That would make it easier to see how you are playing and if it needs any improvement, I can comment on that. I think you are picking the note for a short time only giving it a staccato effect (if thats what is called). I still suffer from this too at times. It should be gone with practice. And maybe this is because its just a first try. smile.gif The note should ring until you pick another note and that will give you a smoother sound plus a good tone (illusion I guess).

Looking forward to another take. smile.gif

One thing to note: Feel comfortable at current tempo before moving up. As muris mentioned, muscle memory is important at high speeds. If your left hand flows smoothly, picking it at higher speed comes automatically. It feels much easier. smile.gif

Worked a couple of hours on it today, If I have money Ill buy a new webcam, my laptop's webcam is really nothing or Id try to record with my smartphone. So far we are stable at 60.

I just play along the guitarpro file so there isn't a metronome in the tracks
here it is.

This post has been edited by snackajacks: Aug 6 2012, 04:24 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MaharzanMentoring60bpm.wav ( 1.3MB ) Number of downloads: 86

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 6 2012, 04:38 PM
Some way or another 80bpm seems easier than 60bpm, new strategy : don't think and play, just play. When I am starting to think
what note I need to play next then I am out.

here is 80 bpm.

This post has been edited by snackajacks: Aug 6 2012, 04:39 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MaharzanMentoring80bpm.wav ( 866.04K ) Number of downloads: 85

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 6 2012, 05:12 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great. I have an iPhone and I record from it most of the time these days. smile.gif

Try focusing on note ringing. I see few notes aren't as clear as they should be. Try this: Pick a note and when you pick next, release the first one and so on. This is hard. I have experienced it myself. Here is what happens. Index finger and middle finger works great. Ring finger so so, but when you try pinky, it doesn't quite get it on time. Most of the time, the ring and pinky goes together. This used to happen to me. When you are doing slowly, you might not notice it but at fast tempo, usually, ring and pinky almost goes at the same time. Check if this happens to you too. Each finger needs to be separated so each note you pick rings clearly and with same interval. Good attempt. Lets focus on consistency for now at 80bpm.

And again, when you can really play clearly at this tempo, 100bpm will feel a lot easier. The muscle memory comes into play.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 6 2012, 06:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (snackajacks @ Aug 5 2012, 05:20 PM) *
Yes, I will start at 30bpm and make my way up to 120. I will post at

Goals :

- Learning Riff @ 40bmp
- 60bmp
- 80bmp
- 100bmp
- Finishing touch @120bmp

August 06 : This evening I have learned the riff, So I don't have to look at the tab every time and I did it at 40bpm to start with.

Hello! I have very good exercises that will help you develop alternative picking! Let me know if you are interested and I will post them in your thread! smile.gif

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 8 2012, 09:46 AM
Maharzan, Do I need to sweep those notes or also alternate pick these bottom notes ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 8 2012, 11:36 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Should be all AP. Afterall its an AP exercise. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 8 2012, 11:49 AM
QUOTE (maharzan @ Aug 8 2012, 10:36 AM) *
Should be all AP. Afterall its an AP exercise. smile.gif

makes sense xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 10 2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
How is the progress coming along?

--------------------

+Quote Post
snackajacks
Aug 15 2012, 05:47 PM
I was at 100 bpm for a time, but I really wanted it clean so I went back to 90 and now on my way to 100 again biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 16 2012, 09:51 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Great. Keep it coming. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:00 AM