Great Lyrical Songs
JVM
Jul 20 2007, 08:40 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay, I want to see everyone's favorite lyrics. Often times you'll hear a song and be like "man, those drums are amazing." or "man, that singing is great". Etc, but I'm not talking about the singing, just the lyrics itself. A lot of the time (95% of the time I'd say) a song can be terrible lyrically and do well musically, so it becomes popular. So are there any songs out there, that you think are lyrically perfect? And why?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lespaulrocker
Jul 20 2007, 08:50 AM
GMC:er
personally i think that Homecoming and Jesus of Suburbia on Green Day's American Idiot album have great lyrics.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 20 2007, 10:16 AM
Usually the lyrics aren't important to me. They are just another instrument in the rhythm. With a few exceptions:

Pink Floyd. Especially The Wall. The lyrics in some of the songs, like Mother or Comfortably Numb, makes you think. But must of all for the whole of it. The lyrics in each part builds up to picture, piece by piece.

Pink FLoyd (David Gilmour) - The Divison Bell, for the same reason.

Totta Näslunds lyrics. Outstanding, down to earth, bluesy. He describes everyday ordinary common people problems in a way that makes it obvious and you just agree that's how it is.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jul 20 2007, 10:19 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Some Disturbed songs, had good lyrics, with good meaning (Liberate for ex.).
Also, Fear Factory's concept albums were very original - whole album was like a one story an songs were chapters of that story. smile.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 20 2007, 04:39 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
My favorites are anything Iron Maiden writes, especially Steve Harris And Bruce Dickinons, there lyrics are very inteliigent, and thought provoking, they always speak to me more so than any others. examples...

Sign Of The Cross
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
The Legacy
Lord Of Light
Dance Of Death
Infinte Dreams
Montsegur
Brave New World
The Thin Line Bewteen Love And Hate

more of my favorites songwriters and songs.

Miakel Akerfeldt - Opeth (Isolation Years, Ghost Of Perdition, Closure, Blackwater Park)

Tuomas Holopainen - Nightwish (Ghost Love Score, Pharoah Sails To Orion, Sleeping Sun)

Hansi Kursch - Blind Guardian (The Bards Song, Another Holy War, Script For My Requiem, ...And Then There Was Silence)

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Jul 22 2007, 06:24 PM
anything of bob dylan.
Bob marley also has some great lyrics.
November rain is pretty good to.
hotel california is great to.
Also stairway to heaven.
Song to sing when i'm lonely from john frusciante.
And of course confortably numb and wish you where here.
Oh and almost every neil young song.
OOOh and bob dylan blues from syd barrett.

There was a thread like this on UG to a time ago and i gave an answer of about 40 quotes.

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 22 2007, 06:50 PM
Being a writer and poet myself, lyrics are very important to me when listening to a musician or band. The poetry behind a song is a very important part of the experience, and when bands have crappy lyrics, it usually ruins the experience for me. I feel that pop singers that have writers write lyrics for them (for example - Britney Spears) aren't really what I would call "Artists." In my opinion, to be an artist is to create something beautiful and appealing to human senses. Though in the example of pop singers they are creating beautiful sounds with their voices, the art really has no depth, as the melody and the lyrics were written by someone else (This explains my extreme anger when Carrie Underwood won a grammy for best female artist over both Corinne Bailey Rae and Imogen Heap). Lyrics are very important to me. Period. Anyway, to answer the question:

Jupiter Sunrise - one of my favorite bands in the world - have Excellent lyrics (three different members write lyrics!)

Damien Rice - an acoustic singer/songwriter from Ireland. His lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard. the man is a true poet.

John Mayer - especially on Continuum - has classic songwriting ability. His lyrics are so enlightened and insightful.

Jason Mraz has crazy rhyme skills. He's an excellent writer.

Jack Johnson - his words make you wish you were on the beach in hawaii. so mellow and cool and good.

Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack has some pretty good lyrics. I just like his style.

John Ondrasik of Five for Fighting is a marvelous poet. His words almost bring me to tears.

Death Cab For Cutie has some really awesome lyrics. My favorite album of theirs is Transatlanticism...mostly for the lyrics.

If anyone listens to hip-hop or rap (GOOD rap, not that horrible club hip-hop crap like "Walk it Out" or "Gonna Buy U a Drank"), Tech N9ne, Eminem, and Aesop Rock - all great lyricists.

Pink Floyd and the Eagles as some of you already said - amazing.

I think that's enough for now.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 22 2007, 06:58 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jul 22 2007, 01:50 PM) *
Being a writer and poet myself, lyrics are very important to me when listening to a musician or band. The poetry behind a song is a very important part of the experience, and when bands have crappy lyrics, it usually ruins the experience for me. I feel that pop singers that have writers write lyrics for them (for example - Britney Spears) aren't really what I would call "Artists." In my opinion, to be an artist is to create something beautiful and appealing to human senses. Though in the example of pop singers they are creating beautiful sounds with their voices, the art really has no depth, as the melody and the lyrics were written by someone else (This explains my extreme anger when Carrie Underwood won a grammy for best female artist over both Corinne Bailey Rae and Imogen Heap). Lyrics are very important to me. Period. Anyway, to answer the question:

Agree! And I love Corrinne Bailey Rae and Damien Rice - definatley on the same page there, you are obviously a man of fine taste smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jul 22 2007, 08:26 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Pantalaimon @ Jul 22 2007, 02:50 PM) *

Jupiter Sunrise - one of my favorite bands in the world - have Excellent lyrics (three different members write lyrics!)

Damien Rice - an acoustic singer/songwriter from Ireland. His lyrics are some of the best I've ever heard. the man is a true poet.

John Mayer - especially on Continuum - has classic songwriting ability. His lyrics are so enlightened and insightful.

Jason Mraz has crazy rhyme skills. He's an excellent writer.

Jack Johnson - his words make you wish you were on the beach in hawaii. so mellow and cool and good.

Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack has some pretty good lyrics. I just like his style.

John Ondrasik of Five for Fighting is a marvelous poet. His words almost bring me to tears.

Death Cab For Cutie has some really awesome lyrics. My favorite album of theirs is Transatlanticism...mostly for the lyrics.

If anyone listens to hip-hop or rap (GOOD rap, not that horrible club hip-hop crap like "Walk it Out" or "Gonna Buy U a Drank"), Tech N9ne, Eminem, and Aesop Rock - all great lyricists.

Pink Floyd and the Eagles as some of you already said - amazing.

I think that's enough for now.

To add to your Hip hop list: Common, Mos Def, KRS1, Public Enemy.

Lyrically these artists would be high up on my list of favorites:

Led Zeppelin
Jack Johnson
Bob Marley
Leonard Cohen
Corinne Bailey Rae
John Mayer
The Tragically Hip
Damien Rice
Ben Harper

I could go on and on but I think these would be my faves.

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 22 2007, 09:10 PM
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger. Every freakin song got extremely good lyrics. Four of them is written by Fenriz and the other four by Varg Vikernes(Burzum) while he was sitting in jail.

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jul 22 2007, 09:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
M favourites would have to be anything by Lynyrd Skynyrd...love those

But also:

Ziggy Stardust- David Bowie (dono why, jus love the lyrics)
Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd
Stairway to Heaven- Led Zeppelin
Hotel California- Eagles
50 Mission Cap- Tragically Hip
Make It Last- Montrose
November Rain- Guns n Roses
Don't Stop Believing- Journey (probably my favourite)
Sweet Home Alabama- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Civil War- Guns n Roses

This post has been edited by Stevie·Ray·Vaughn: Jul 25 2007, 07:11 PM

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 22 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm just going to name the first one that came to my head when reading this topic.Holy Wars by Megadeth.Think about whats going on in the mid east right now and listen to what Dave wrote almost 20 years ago.Its kind of out there.Please note i'm not talking politics and not expressing my opinion of whats going on there so no one should be upset.I'm just saying the song has alot of lyrics that really relate to present day. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 23 2007, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 22 2007, 03:21 PM) *
I'm just going to name the first one that came to my head when reading this topic.Holy Wars by Megadeth.Think about whats going on in the mid east right now and listen to what Dave wrote almost 20 years ago.Its kind of out there.Please note i'm not talking politics and not expressing my opinion of whats going on there so no one should be upset.I'm just saying the song has alot of lyrics that really relate to present day. smile.gif

i like some megadeth lyrics as well.

I guess my favorites would be:

Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Wherever I May Roam - Metallica (awesome lyrics)
Hangar 18 - Megadeth

lyrics are very important to me, since i spent time writing poems and lyrics for my band. I like alot of types of lyrics, like for example, love poems (like in Sweet Child O' Mine), lyrics that identify yourself/band/group/purpose (Wherever I May Roam), or lyrics that tell about a story/event in particular (Hangar 18)

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 23 2007, 04:11 AM
Some of my favorites would be:

Sweet Child O' Mine- GnR
One- Metallica
Master of Puppets- Metallica
Cametery Gates- Pantera
The Trooper- Iron Maiden

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 23 2007, 04:17 AM
Breath-Breaking Benjamin
Sweet Child O'Mine-GnR
November Rain-GnR

If you havnt heard Breath, you should definately hear it.Great, great song.

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jul 23 2007, 04:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jul 27 2007, 02:46 PM
My favourite lyrical song is "F*** you Lucy" by Atmosphere.

Some other favourite songwriters are Sage Francis, Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), Jonas Renkse (Katatonia), and Elliott Smith.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the reason I like "F*** You Lucy" so much is because it´s so full of emotion, I could read the lyrics only and still feel touched.. Read it for yourselves here: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=...822107858486382

And try to listen to the song aswell, it´s even better with the music biggrin.gif http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Bc_0mSydeo&...ted&search=

Starred a song name out: Micke on behalf of the moderating team

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 27 2009, 06:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 27 2007, 03:01 PM
Bob Dylan

Reason? Listen for yourself....... Sorry i'm going to bed right now, before I pass out in this uncomfortable chair. But there you go I really, really love Bob Dylans lyrics. He hasn't the greatest voice, which also makes him a good artist to cover, awesome songs, easy singing. biggrin.gif Fantastic!

- Hemlok

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jeff
Jul 27 2007, 03:35 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 27 2007, 09:01 AM) *
Bob Dylan

Reason? Listen for yourself....... Sorry i'm going to bed right now, before I pass out in this uncomfortable chair. But there you go I really, really love Bob Dylans lyrics. He hasn't the greatest voice, which also makes him a good artist to cover, awesome songs, easy singing. biggrin.gif Fantastic!

- Hemlok

Agreed!

I would like to add Mark Knopfler if I may. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 27 2007, 10:28 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 22 2007, 09:10 PM) *
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger. Every freakin song got extremely good lyrics. Four of them is written by Fenriz and the other four by Varg Vikernes(Burzum) while he was sitting in jail.

To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace
oh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger

Hail to the True, intense vampires
A story made for Divine fulfillment

A Fare to Raise the Flag (of Satan), to desseminate the races,
To build the Hall of Battle and to live in Eternal Strife

huh.gif

This post has been edited by Owen: Jul 27 2007, 10:30 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:09 PM