Making Practice Routine
K1R
Jun 15 2011, 08:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey guys!
I never really had a practice routine. Recently I realised that when I pick up guitar I don't know what to practice. So I need your advices and tips about how to make a good practice routine. I would be very thankful if you posted exact exercises and schedules smile.gif Thank you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 15 2011, 08:08 PM
Instructor
On wich music styles do you want to work on & in your opinion what are your strengths and weaknesses?
How much time per day do you have to parctice?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor
The first important thing would be to know what goals you want to achieve.. and also which your favourite players and bands are.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 15 2011, 08:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
What do you need to work on? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 15 2011, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
i kind need one two i have like 8 hours free already decide putting 1h/2h on theory and putting it on action, 1h/2h on band music fixing mistakes, add that and that etc.. but i still have like 4-5 hours free?

guess i will pick some exer' on hands sync, legato, pull off, hammer on, tapping sweep, need some space also to do some ear train, haven't though much how im gonna do it trough.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
K1R
Jun 15 2011, 08:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Stephane Lucarelli @ Jun 15 2011, 10:08 PM) *
On wich music styles do you want to work on & in your opinion what are your strengths and weaknesses?
How much time per day do you have to parctice?

I would like to work on blues or rock. I don't really know what are my strenghts, because everything in my playing should be improved smile.gif My weaknesses are bending, fast runs like 3 nps patterns and hand sync. Also I'm not really good as rhytm player, I don't swich chords enought fast and I don't know many chords shapes by heart. But heavy riffing, palm muting, gallop technique is pretty easy for me. My theory knowing is good, I know standart scales, blues scales, pentatonic scales and I know modes, but I don't use modes a lot because I don't feel really comfortable with them.
I have many free time now so I can dedicate to practicing up to three or four hours every day.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 15 2011, 10:09 PM) *
The first important thing would be to know what goals you want to achieve.. and also which your favourite players and bands are.

I want to improve my speed and lick library smile.gif My favourite band is Sonata Arctica, also I listen to Iron Maiden, Guns'n'Roses, Velvet Revlover, Scorpions. Recently I started to listen a lot of Buckethead (thanks to your collab smile.gif ). But I feel like I don't wanna play really heavy stuff know and something like Gary Moore would be the best for me smile.gif

QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 15 2011, 10:11 PM) *
What do you need to work on? tongue.gif

Everything smile.gif

This post has been edited by K1R: Jun 15 2011, 08:35 PM

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 15 2011, 09:17 PM
Instructor
The most important thing is to make your plan, stick to it and do not depart from !
Speed exercise requires a lot of energy and concentration, and it's important to gradually lift technique, no matter how tedious it.Just on this subject I prepare video chat on Monday! The theme is "NEED FOR SPEED", where I will attempt to explain how to reach a certain level of speed. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Jun 15 2011, 09:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jun 15 2011, 11:17 PM) *
The most important thing is to make your plan, stick to it and do not depart from !
Speed exercise requires a lot of energy and concentration, and it's important to gradually lift technique, no matter how tedious it.Just on this subject I prepare video chat on Monday! The theme is "NEED FOR SPEED", where I will attempt to explain how to reach a certain level of speed. wink.gif

Nice! I will be there smile.gif

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2011, 09:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Jun 15 2011, 04:22 PM) *
I would like to work on blues or rock. I don't really know what are my strenghts, because everything in my playing should be improved smile.gif My weaknesses are bending, fast runs like 3 nps patterns and hand sync. Also I'm not really good as rhytm player, I don't swich chords enought fast and I don't know many chords shapes by heart. But heavy riffing, palm muting, gallop technique is pretty easy for me. My theory knowing is good, I know standart scales, blues scales, pentatonic scales and I know modes, but I don't use modes a lot because I don't feel really comfortable with them.
I have many free time now so I can dedicate to practicing up to three or four hours every day.

I want to improve my speed and lick library smile.gif My favourite band is Sonata Arctica, also I listen to Iron Maiden, Guns'n'Roses, Velvet Revlover, Scorpions. Recently I started to listen a lot of Buckethead (thanks to your collab smile.gif ). But I feel like I don't wanna play really heavy stuff know and something like Gary Moore would be the best for me smile.gif

Everything smile.gif

Well, I used to organize my routine based on the Steve Vai 30 hours workout. This doesn't mean that you have to play 10 hours per day as the workout says but you can use it as the guidelines to develop your routine using lessons from GMC archive...

1. Finger Exercises
2. Scales
3. Chords
4. Ear Training
5. Reading Music
6. Writing Music
7. Music Theory
8. Jamming

If you can cover each of this concepts in your everyday's routine you'll be on the right track! smile.gif As you said that you have 4 hours to practice... I think that you could dedicate 30 minutes to each topic...
Let me know what you think and if you want some help choosing material from the GMC archive. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2011, 10:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jun 15 2011, 09:17 PM) *
The theme is "NEED FOR SPEED", where I will attempt to explain how to reach a certain level of speed. wink.gif

And Sinisa's speed is 100,000,000,000,000 miles an hour, as we have all seen ! biggrin.gif

You already do have an instinctive idea of what sort of practice you would like to do (Gary Moore style blues etc) so I would trust that instinct and find some lessons that will test your ability but that are attainable in time.

Some bending lessons, bluesy stuff.. for 3 note per string stuff, you can tie it in with working on alternate picking or you can focus only on the left hand with legato... or both, of course. Most of the rock/shred stuff on GMC uses those shapes so you should be able to find some lessons that will focus on that area.

Lian Gerbino and Gabriel Leopardi have some very good metal and rock rhythm lessons that will work your fretting hand.. loads of other instructors have awesome rhythm lessons too, including Cosmin and Lale Nikic but they might be a bit too technical at the moment until you've improved your chord changing ability. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 15 2011, 10:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 15 2011, 11:19 PM) *
And Sinisa's speed is 100,000,000,000,000 miles an hour, as we have all seen ! biggrin.gif

You already do have an instinctive idea of what sort of practice you would like to do (Gary Moore style blues etc) so I would trust that instinct and find some lessons that will test your ability but that are attainable in time.

Some bending lessons, bluesy stuff.. for 3 note per string stuff, you can tie it in with working on alternate picking or you can focus only on the left hand with legato... or both, of course. Most of the rock/shred stuff on GMC uses those shapes so you should be able to find some lessons that will focus on that area.

Lian Gerbino and Gabriel Leopardi have some very good metal and rock rhythm lessons that will work your fretting hand.. loads of other instructors have awesome rhythm lessons too, including Cosmin and Lale Nikic but they might be a bit too technical at the moment until you've improved your chord changing ability. smile.gif

Slow down a bit Ben,pleasee, at least three zeros tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
K1R
Jun 15 2011, 10:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 15 2011, 11:57 PM) *
Well, I used to organize my routine based on the Steve Vai 30 hours workout. This doesn't mean that you have to play 10 hours per day as the workout says but you can use it as the guidelines to develop your routine using lessons from GMC archive...

1. Finger Exercises
2. Scales
3. Chords
4. Ear Training
5. Reading Music
6. Writing Music
7. Music Theory
8. Jamming

If you can cover each of this concepts in your everyday's routine you'll be on the right track! smile.gif As you said that you have 4 hours to practice... I think that you could dedicate 30 minutes to each topic...
Let me know what you think and if you want some help choosing material from the GMC archive. smile.gif

Thank You. What finger exercises would you recommend?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 16 2011, 12:19 AM) *

Thank You. I'm gonna start your land of legato and return to my failed takes of vibrato oddysey, so legato, bends and vibrato will be fine smile.gif

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 15 2011, 10:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Jun 15 2011, 10:33 PM) *
Thank You. I'm gonna start your land of legato and return to my failed takes of vibrato oddysey, so legato, bends and vibrato will be fine smile.gif

Your Vibrato Odyssey takes were excellent.. I'm glad that you'll continue to work on that technique because you showed real promise and potential in that area.. you could have a killer vibrato, I know it ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2011, 12:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Jun 15 2011, 06:33 PM) *
Thank You. What finger exercises would you recommend?

Alternate Picking, Sweep Picking, Legato and Tapping. There are some cool series and workouts here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-workout/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...weeping-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Legato-Workshop-1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/8-fing...s_exercise_no1/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
transmission
Jun 16 2011, 12:11 PM
GMC:er
For your chord shapes you could maybe review the CAGED system. I found this very useful to play chords all over the guitar neck and it is a fairly simple theory to get your head around. There is quite a lot on this site about CAGED wink.gif

+Quote Post
K1R
Jun 20 2011, 02:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you guys!
I've made a practice plan:

1) Finger Exercises (~5 minutes for each one)
1.1) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-workout/
1.2) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/sweeping-tune/
1.3) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...weeping-basics/
1.4) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/
1.5) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Legato-Workshop-3/
1.6) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/tapping-lesson/

2) Scales (~10 minutes for each one)
2.1) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Applying_Modes_Part_1/
2.2) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Applying_Modes-Part_2/
2.3) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Mixing...ndMelodicMinor/

3) Chords (~10 minutes for each one)
3.1) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...lesson1-chords/
3.2) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-lesson/
3.3) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...uilding-chords/

4) Ear Training (~15 minutes)
http://www.musiclearningtools.net/
4.1) intervals
4.2) scale ear training

5) Writing music (~30 minutes)
Making licks, composing songs and stuff like that.

6) Theory
http://www.musiclearningtools.net/
6.1) Scale formula training
6.2) Key training

7) Jamming
Can someone give me a webpage with many jam tracks?

What do you think about this routine? Is it good?

This post has been edited by K1R: Jun 20 2011, 02:10 PM

--------------------

Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 20 2011, 02:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (K1R @ Jun 20 2011, 02:07 PM) *
What do you think about this routine? Is it good?

Looks good to me, K.. it's definitely varied enough ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 21 2011, 12:20 PM
Instructor
Mates smile.gif here's my gift to you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=39506

let me know if you find it useful and if you can think of any improvements wink.gif

cheers

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 21 2011, 09:36 PM
Instructor
Don't forget to warm up nicely before the sessions, so you get your hands warmed up.

Also, be aware that all you will practice are pure technical exercises and theory later. You will hardly learn any theory if you put it on the last place. Try putting theory in front, and work on that for 15 mins. After learning theory it will be easier to put it into practice. Just a thought mate.

Let us know how the sessions go, I'm sure there will be some modifications along the way smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:38 PM